Stock gunnel rod holder replacement for modern 228?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm the guy who asked if the stock ones were strong enough for downriggers/puller. They definitely are and the fiberglass is strong enough to hold them.

That said, I got a pot tangled in what I think is a fishing net or some wire or something, and pulled on it hard enough to bend the rod holder so now stuff sits cock eyed in that holder.

It's fine but I'd like to replace it and get it back to new condition. So who makes these?

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm the guy who asked if the stock ones were strong enough for downriggers/puller. They definitely are and the fiberglass is strong enough to hold them.

That said, I got a pot tangled in what I think is a fishing net or some wire or something, and pulled on it hard enough to bend the rod holder so now stuff sits cock eyed in that holder.

It's fine but I'd like to replace it and get it back to new condition. So who makes these?
Amazon has the exact OEM replacements from Taylor Marine on sale for 25% off at $87.95 a piece. I took the used ones off my boat and replaced them with Burnewiin brand rod holders as well as their downrigger mounts. Definitely by no means cheap but they look similar to stock, only had to drill one more screw hole and I use them for my Scotty downriggers. I'd give you my old ones for free if you paid for the shipping but they're somewhat pitted and am assuming you want them brand new.

9F2EFD92-4D56-4C7C-8CEF-0F4CD3B71094.jpeg6BD624F5-E9CE-4D24-822C-EBC6828DFD5E.jpeg1A423A86-4591-417B-A21E-37C62817A724.jpeg79201BDF-0270-4AB5-A735-71D8B0846F29.jpeg

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Amazon has the exact OEM replacements from Taylor Marine on sale for 25% off at $87.95 a piece. I took the used ones off my boat and replaced them with Burnewiin brand rod holders as well as their downrigger mounts. Definitely by no means cheap but they look similar to stock, only had to drill one more screw hole and I use them for my Scotty downriggers. I'd give you my old ones for free if you paid for the shipping but they're somewhat pitted and am assuming you want them brand new.

Perfect, thank you! Ordered. Tempted to order a spare but I think I'll wait.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, are you re-enforcing your rod holder that you use for pots and downrigger, with anything more than a backing plate? For that use, I would be looking for a way to stabilize the bottom end of the holder. For about 20% more, you could go to a Lee heavy duty.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky, are you re-enforcing your rod holder that you use for pots and downrigger, with anything more than a backing plate? For that use, I would be looking for a way to stabilize the bottom end of the holder. For about 20% more, you could go to a Lee heavy duty.
I'm all stock and I have to say I'm impressed at how beefy stock is. But point me at a Lee, I can save the stock one I ordered as a backup and put in a heavier one for the crab pots.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm all stock and I have to say I'm impressed at how beefy stock is. But point me at a Lee, I can save the stock one I ordered as a backup and put in a heavier one for the crab pots.
Lucky.....just FYI....I installed a Lee swivel rod holder in the gunwale of my 24 Offshore to accomodate a 130 rod I use for bluefin tuna. The gunnel flexed like crazy with any amount of force applied to the side. I then had to configure a whole base secured to the deck to stop the torque. See pics in thread.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky.....just FYI....I installed a Lee swivel rod holder in the gunwale of my 24 Offshore to accomodate a 130 rod I use for bluefin tuna. The gunnel flexed like crazy with any amount of force applied to the side. I then had to configure a whole base secured to the deck to stop the torque. See pics in thread.

Read it. I think GW must have beefed up things because we had the crab pot puller going and two guys pulling on the rope to the point that iit was leaning the boat over and no flex at all, just bent the holder a little.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Perfect, thank you! Ordered. Tempted to order a spare but I think I'll wait.
Might as well considering they're on sale and $30 off. And it's always nice to have a spare, especially if the same thing happens again and they're not available if/when you need another replacement.
Read it. I think GW must have beefed up things because we had the crab pot puller going and two guys pulling on the rope to the point that iit was leaning the boat over and no flex at all, just bent the holder a little.
I just installed the Burnewiin brand gunwale mount rod holders in place of the stock Grady White ones that came on my boat from the factory. I went with them as they look fairly similar to the stock GW ones from the factory and I only had to drill one more hole on each gunwale since the Burnewiin's are 4 bolts vs 3 bolts. I went with them for a multitude of reasons, mostly because I fish with Scotty brand downriggers and didn't want to drill more holes than I needed to in my boat as well as I didn't like the cheap plastic black Scotty downrigger base plates always on the sides. On top of that, I've heard nothing but fantastic things about any Burnewiin brand product, they're also made locally right here in Washington state and with them being a gimbal mount you literally just pull on a tab and the whole thing just pops up and out. Opposed to undoing 4 screws with cheap plastic knobs on them every time you're trying to put the downrigger on the side gunwale, which is more than a little nerve-racking while out on the water. Anyway, I called up GW and asked them if I needed the backing plates for the Burnewiin mounts that I bought and they said no. The local shop where I bought the mounts had the backing plates for sale for I think $15 a side and figured it was worth the extra peace of mind and definitely couldn't hurt having them. When I went out fishing a couple of weeks ago and used my new Scotty downriggers in the new Burnewiin mounts there was no flexing to them at all.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Might as well considering they're on sale and $30 off. And it's always nice to have a spare, especially if the same thing happens again and they're not available if/when you need another replacement.

I just installed the Burnewiin brand gunwale mount rod holders in place of the stock Grady White ones that came on my boat from the factory.
I've used Scott downriggers and their crab pot puller in the stock 2020 rod holders without issue until I had a pot snagged on a net (we think, we could move whatever it was snagged on by running the boat but couldn't pull it up).

I can't prove this, but given conversations I've had here, I think Grady has been steadily improving their boats. Other people, with older boats, have talked about the fiberglass flexing. Mine didn't flex (no cracks) when I had two 200 pound dudes and a crab pot puller pulling on that rod holder so much that the boat was leaned way over.

I can imagine the rod holders are beefed up as well. When I got my downriggers I asked here if the rod holders were good enough, was told they were not, called GW and talked to their tech people and they said they are were fine in my boat, you could use them for giant tuna.

I just get the sense that GW has been fixing stuff so these issues aren't issues, kinda like how they got rid of all the wood in the hulls. I think you guys upgrading in the older boats are smart, it's clear that things were not as over built in the past. Maybe I'm naive but I think modern Gradys are pretty stout.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've used Scott downriggers and their crab pot puller in the stock 2020 rod holders without issue until I had a pot snagged on a net (we think, we could move whatever it was snagged on by running the boat but couldn't pull it up).

I can't prove this, but given conversations I've had here, I think Grady has been steadily improving their boats. Other people, with older boats, have talked about the fiberglass flexing. Mine didn't flex (no cracks) when I had two 200 pound dudes and a crab pot puller pulling on that rod holder so much that the boat was leaned way over.

I can imagine the rod holders are beefed up as well. When I got my downriggers I asked here if the rod holders were good enough, was told they were not, called GW and talked to their tech people and they said they are were fine in my boat, you could use them for giant tuna.

I just get the sense that GW has been fixing stuff so these issues aren't issues, kinda like how they got rid of all the wood in the hulls. I think you guys upgrading in the older boats are smart, it's clear that things were not as over built in the past. Maybe I'm naive but I think modern Gradys are pretty stout.
I'm assuming this is the Scotty downrigger mount that you use? Might be a stupid question... but are you ever worried about the mount coming out of the gunwale rod holder and losing a downrigger? That was my biggest concern/fear, although I'm sure you could probably find a way to lock it into place by drilling a hole through the tube and inserting a bolt so it doesn't come all the way out or something.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm assuming this is the Scotty downrigger mount that you use? Might be a stupid question... but are you ever worried about the mount coming out of the gunwale rod holder and losing a downrigger? That was my biggest concern/fear, although I'm sure you could probably find a way to lock it into place by drilling a hole through the tube and inserting a bolt so it doesn't come all the way out or something.

Yep that is what I use. I used to be worried that it would come out on my ride home. Then I looked at all the waves I have launched over.
It is fine, it will not come out. If that comes out your trailer is messed up, your boat is gone.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep that is what I use. I used to be worried that it would come out on my ride home. Then I looked at all the waves I have launched over.
It is fine, it will not come out. If that comes out your trailer is messed up, your boat is gone.
I was talking more in regards to what you mentioned earlier, which is if you got caught or snagged on something. That had me a bit worried, the possibility of losing a $600+ downrigger because it's not locked down or secured in any way. I guess gravity probably helps make it a non issue, still a bit unnerving to think about though, especially with a 30 degree fishing rod holder.

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I was talking more in regards to what you mentioned earlier, which is if you got caught or snagged on something. That had me a bit worried, the possibility of losing a $600+ downrigger because it's not locked down or secured in any way. I guess gravity probably helps make it a non issue, still a bit unnerving to think about though, especially with a 30 degree fishing rod holder.
So this isn't going to impress anyone but it's a lesson I've learned that I'll pass on. I was out the other day halibut fishing and I used the downriggers pointed out as rod holders, to get a better spread ball bouncing. Didn't tip them in, docked, and the cord that goes to the yellow donut hooked on a cleat. I had 6000 pounds of moving boat pulling on that downrigger. There was a fair amount of force before I got to the boat cleat and gave it slack. New lesson: under way, downriggers pointed forward or back but not out. *Every* frigging time I go out, I layer on another layer of what I call the onion of boating knowledge :cool:

I don't think they will ever come out, even when you want them to. Scotty's manual tells you to adjust the brake in there so that if you do snag it will give out line rather than dragging your boat under.

As for losing one, yeah, it would suck, but I've learned running an ocean going fishing boat is just a good excuse to spend my kids' inheritance :cool:

Last edited:

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hey Lucky......I have a 10 minute routine I need to go through before docking after each trip.....no rods in the starboard side rod holders.....no loose gear on that side.....no passengers....a speech to my passengers about hands and arms in.....don't try to help...it took years to work it all out.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey Lucky......I have a 10 minute routine I need to go through before docking after each trip.....no rods in the starboard side rod holders.....no loose gear on that side.....no passengers....a speech to my passengers about hands and arms in.....don't try to help...it took years to work it all out.
Hey Unk,

You aren't alone. I know a guy who won't let people help him unbutton or button up the boat, he wants to do it himself so he knows it is all done and done right.

I have a different approach, I don't trust anyone, myself included, to do it right. So I do it, you do it, it doesn't matter, I'm checking the plug, I'm checking the straps, I'm checking the bumpers, I'm checking the antennas, etc, etc, etc. I do everything, or you do everything, or it is a mix, I don't care, I'm walking around and checking everything. No offense to you, but I don't trust "you" any more than I trust me, and I don't trust me if ya know what I mean :)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Lee comes in 3 weights, regular, medium, and heavy. Different hole sizes.

A quick check on eBay showed a number of original Grady rod holders but there’s a premium attached to the name. I wouldn’t be surprised to find Taylor made makes them for Grady.
window pulls are and if buy a Taylor made pull its $10, if you buy them with the grady part number attached their $40.
I’d suspect a similar scenario for the rod holders whether Taylor or Lee sells them with and without the Grady stamp.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My buddy's dad growing up always had the saying of "Gas On, Brains Off." Definitely applies to everything from cars to boats and just about anything else in life.
I get a guilty pleasure watching boat fails on youtube and I have to believe that a lot of the "brain off" is more like "booze in". I am not judging people for drinking, I do it at night, at home, when I'm not running anything. I will never drink on a boat I'm running, I think you'd have to be a little crazy to do that, forget booze, if I just take my eyes off the ocean while under way the ocean instantly starts to beat me up. I can't imagine trying to deal with our ocean with some booze messing with your judgement.

Drinking starts after you clean the last fish at home (for me). Gotta pamper what brain cells I have left :cool: