Superstitions

seasick

Reaction score
Probably most of you are aware of the superstition that bananas on a boat are a really bad thing. I did some research about the origin of that and there seems to be a decent explanation about how it came about but you will have to look up the origin yourself.
If you watch Deadliest Catch you also know that those fisherman are about as superstitious as you can get so it was with great surprise that a few nights ago, I was watching reruns and a member of the crew was eating bananas in the galley! I was really shocked.
I personally know some boat owners who won't allow bananas on their boats. On my boats I may make a comment but it's OK. if something bad happens though , it's not my fault.
Are bananas OK on your vessel?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I just brought my Marlin back from the Keys and while I was there I must've ate 4 bananas over 5 day period at the dock.

I had no idea there were maritime superstitions associated with bananas. I don't think about that stuff. My thoughts were focused around getting home between cold fronts....

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We actually hid bananas on competitor boats during a tournament years ago. Didn't seem to work as I remember. More of a fishing thing than general maritime thing. May not apply to crabbing in the Bering Sea! We're not real superstitious, but why take a chance! No bananas on our fishing trips, OK for cruising though!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my only rule is this guy can't come.

:eek:

Attachments

• 72333_v9_bb.jpg
    72333_v9_bb.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 0

seasick

Reaction score
I just brought my Marlin back from the Keys and while I was there I must've ate 4 bananas over 5 day period at the dock.

I had no idea there were maritime superstitions associated with bananas. I don't think about that stuff. My thoughts were focused around getting home between cold fronts....
Boy you were lucky. On the dock is OK, just not on the boat:)

Reactions: magicalbill

seasick

Reaction score
We actually hid bananas on competitor boats during a tournament years ago. Didn't seem to work as I remember. More of a fishing thing than general maritime thing. May not apply to crabbing in the Bering Sea! We're not real superstitious, but why take a chance! No bananas on our fishing trips, OK for cruising though!
Cruising on a cruise ship apparently is exempt! I have cruised many times and have always seen bananas at least at the beginning of a cruise. Towards the end of a cruise the bananas are usually gone.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I never heard of this superstition but now need to see if our bad fishing days coincide when we bring bananas on as a mid morning snack

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yep, never allowed on my boat.

seasick

Reaction score
I also read a story about the film crew when Deadly Catch first started production. Apparently suitcases are a bad omen and when the film crew showed up with their clothes in suitcases, the crew wouldn't let them board. They had to repack their clothes in duffle bags and leave the suitcases at the dock.
Now that really doesn't apply to cruise ships!

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I've heard two explanations for that banana superstition. One is a ghost ship was encountered and when boarded the whole crew was dead. The were carrying bananas. The story goes that they thought there were poisonous spiders in the bananas that killed the entire crew. The other story is about a ship that came across the wreckage of another ship that had sunk. The only thing floating were bananas. My late Mother was Pennsylvania Dutch and she had some of their superstitions. When visiting she always had to go out the door she came in. So no there are no bananas on my boat.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As bananas ripen they give off a gas that accelerates the ripening and subsequent rotting of other fruit, especially citrus. So in the time of old wooden sailing ships, when British sailors would include bananas in their provisions, the citrus mysteriously went bad and many of the crew got scurvy. Hence the no bananas on boats!

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
The origin I read was that a good percentage of the ships that sailed form the tropics and sank in storms were laden with bananas. Over time sailors associated bananas with bad luck.

This article is pretty interesting;

So, I guess if you go out with the family and don't fish, bananas are OK:)

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
4 or five years ago, I was preparing to take off with guests that had no idea of the superstition. While they were loading some of their belongings I noticed a bunch of bananas, and immediately asked who brought them. I explained they were bad luck, but since it was a hot summer day I allowed them. Otherwise they would have spoiled sitting in a hot car. 3 minutes after we departed and just when I was about to speed up and put the boat on plane, one of my engines overheated with alarms blaring. My engine's had never overheated in the 16 or so years of use at that time. My vote is bananas are bad luck.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
No banana hammocks,but I don't care if bananas are on the boat. lol. You know deep dropping or trolling those fish can smell a banana a mile away.