Surface Mounting Electronics?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
1st grady said:
This is a downvu image i am hoping to achieve.

That is pretty cool!

I've never checked any further, but I've always assumed the gauge is getting the speed reading from the pitot built into the drive?

I have a paddle wheel, too - but that goes to a different fishfinder.

1st grady - are you sure those $99 or $199 transom mount ducers will will provide downvu and chirp? It seems like an awful big price jump. Doesn't seem right that a transom mount is that price and a thru-hull is all of a sudden that much more... if they are of the same capabilities, that is. IF you're not positive, give Garmin a call directly - best to get the info from the horse's mouth.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
$99 8 pin is CHIRP, downvu and traditional
$199 is also chirp but only downvu and side view images. A traditional ducer would be required.
$749. Stainless thru hull ducers (CHIRP, Downvu and traditional are not compatible as far as I can tell.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
gradywhite248 said:
Help I have ordered a new Garmin 741 an looking to surface mount in the lower electronics box were the original hinged Plexiglas door is. What white material are you guys using to mount units in and how thick? Photos of completed projects?

Hey guys Have all my units to mount now and still looking for the material to use in place of the original Plexiglas door. Looking for either the black or white and how thick?
:huh

gradywhite248

Reaction score
gradywhite248 said:
gradywhite248 said:
Help I have ordered a new Garmin 741 an looking to surface mount in the lower electronics box were the original hinged Plexiglas door is. What white material are you guys using to mount units in and how thick? Photos of completed projects?

Hey guys Have all my units to mount now and still looking for the material to use in place of the original Plexiglas door. Looking for either the black or white and how thick?
:huh

Starboard as mentioned above :sorry guess i should read the responses closer. Will post photos when done.

zimm

Reaction score
Think about black starboard to cut down on the glare. I had mine flanged with a router so it would sit more flush. I re-used the hinges, but if I redid it, I wouldn't. I can access the electrics from the door in the cabin anyway, no need to lift up the panel.

flmarineplastics did it for me.

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Really??? I have had all my new Garmin units, fuel flow and Qty transducer radio and NMEA 2000 kit and its raining all week or cold as can be? I guess ill have to shop for more items. the wife is going to kill me????????????? she is starting to wonder why the UPS man is here everyday..............

Reaction score
Im going to flush mount my 2- VHF and Fusion radio in the electronics box the same way you did yours.

Love the idea of using the hinges. I cant get behind the box so a way to access if nice.

Thanks

Paul

zimm

Reaction score
Capt and the kids said:
Im going to flush mount my 2- VHF and Fusion radio in the electronics box the same way you did yours.

Love the idea of using the hinges. I cant get behind the box so a way to access if nice.

Thanks

Paul

It works, but need to mount the VHF pretty high for it to clear so you can swing it up. Also my VHF hole was too close to the edge so I had to "customize" the mounting bracket to fit. If I did it again, I'd order the blanks, but do the holes myself to make sure everything will fit.

Here's the view from the back before I had the wiring finalized.

Reaction score
Thanks Zimm- Understood. I will be fabricated the starboard so will make sure it fits... may take a couple tries. lol

I wanted to make a storage box in there too but would run into the same issue. If I needed to open the storage box would bottom out.

Hope to get it done in March and post some pics.

Gary M

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
Starboard (that's a name brand - Taco metals is another manufcaturer of HDPE) is one of the 'go-to' materials for things like this.

My Master Marine Electrician and I flush mounted my Furuno NavNet onto a custom cut piece of hard black plastic. He does not like to use Starboard because he's seen it not do well when it gets lots of sun.

Abaco2007017.jpg

We also did not caulk around the new panel as we did not want moisture being trapped behind the two units and their connections. It's easy to unscrew the panel and drop it down if need be.

I was also told by a wise old skipper to mount electronics that you want to 'see' and that you need to 'touch' a lot, do it down low, in your line of sight. Only my seldom used VHF is up in the upper box of my Marlin. Stereo and Simrad autopilot controls are easy to get as they are next to the steering wheel.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Gary M said:
DennisG01 said:
Starboard (that's a name brand - Taco metals is another manufcaturer of HDPE) is one of the 'go-to' materials for things like this.

My Master Marine Electrician and I flush mounted my Furuno NavNet onto a custom cut piece of hard black plastic. He does not like to use Starboard because he's seen it not do well when it gets lots of sun.

Abaco2007017.jpg

We also did not caulk around the new panel as we did not want moisture being trapped behind the two units and their connections. It's easy to unscrew the panel and drop it down if need be.

I was also told by a wise old skipper to mount electronics that you want to 'see' and that you need to 'touch' a lot, do it down low, in your line of sight. Only my seldom used VHF is up in the upper box of my Marlin. Stereo and Simrad autopilot controls are easy to get as they are next to the steering wheel.

Agreed ! :goodjob Thats is exactly where my twin Simrad evo2 9" screens will sit on my Marlin in the next few months. Installed twin NSS7's on my 272 sailfish in the same location and was never happier. As a side not, I used black Starboard and never experienced and issues with degradation from heat but my boat is in CT...................

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and photos. I have bought the starboard but did not think about hard plastic? You are correct I have put the Radio up high and the Garmin 741xs down low with the fusion radio? Think I'll move the fusion to the top and add another 741xs beside the other one unless some one can advise of another display that might be cheaper and works off the NMEA 2000 network. The issue I see coming is way to much info on just one 741 to display without switching screens or using split screen?
Thoughts on a 2 display?

zimm

Reaction score
With a 741XS, you can get a second 741 (without sounder) for cheaper. I'm not 100% sure, but with them networked, you should be able to see data on either screen. It would depend on how much cheaper you could get a 741 for. If it's only $100 difference, I'd get two 741XS- if you sell them to upgrade down the road, they'll be worth more as sounders (maybe).

gradywhite248

Reaction score
Quick question? I have now got the Garmin 741XS installed with the transducer (Cable is to short by a foot really have to order an extension) And NMEA 2000 network with the GFS 10 Fuel transducer. The question is while cleaning up I noticed the Furuno FCV 600L has a plug for NMEA? Since i have installed all new equipment can i hook up the Furuno and see any data or anything?