Survey Issue Today Suggestions Needed on Hard Top Rotting

colecaz

Reaction score
Re: Survey Issue Today Suggestions Needed on Hard Top Rottin

Wow.. give Grady White a big four thumbs up for this. A five year old boat with damage due to improper installation of non-factory accessories and they replace the part for free and only ask you to pay labor.

Now I know why I own a Grady... As if I didn't before. :goodjob

Fishtales

Reaction score

I agree that Grady stepped up above and beyond for what appears to be in incorrect installation post the factory that caused the core to get wet. Kudos to them. Hopefully the seller or dealer paid the installation cost.

Good luck with her.

capeguy

Reaction score

Wow... Ayacht you got a great buy on this boat. Gotta love the GW service...

I have had mine for 3 months and love her. had a great weekend trip with 4 friends, left S Shore on Thur eve, crossed to our cottage in Truro about 30 miles. Out early Friday to P Hill, large bass and blues all day. Filled the box. Out Sat am about 15 miles NE of PTown looking for cod, dense fog, building seas, drift so fast we couldn't hold bottom, so back to PTown, more big blues. Back home Sat eve to the S shore since the fcast for Sunday was very nasty.

This boat is great... Wouldn't change a thing. BTW I have the companion bench seat and don't have as big an issue with the helm as others seem to have.

This boat with the 225s is a great combo. I run about 4200-4300 rpms, about 29mph by gps, 1.3mpg on the yamaha gauge.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

capeguy said:
Wow... Ayacht you got a great buy on this boat. Gotta love the GW service...

I have had mine for 3 months and love her. had a great weekend trip with 4 friends, left S Shore on Thur eve, crossed to our cottage in Truro about 30 miles. Out early Friday to P Hill, large bass and blues all day. Filled the box. Out Sat am about 15 miles NE of PTown looking for cod, dense fog, building seas, drift so fast we couldn't hold bottom, so back to PTown, more big blues. Back home Sat eve to the S shore since the fcast for Sunday was very nasty.

This boat is great... Wouldn't change a thing. BTW I have the companion bench seat and don't have as big an issue with the helm as others seem to have.

This boat with the 225s is a great combo. I run about 4200-4300 rpms, about 29mph by gps, 1.3mpg on the yamaha gauge.

Capeguy

Will probably see you out there soon. If you have some pictures of the companion bench I would love to see them. I have not seen that setup. I hope to get all the paperwork done this week and be on the water next week at the latest. Gonna take her down from Newburyport to Bass River should be a great ride.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

If water gets in from the the top skin and be it synthetic or wood, the water gets trapped - for those in warmer climates means nothing, for us in the freeze zone it expands when freezes and delaminates or cracks the glass from the core.

Either material, the area has to be sealed properly. Pro balsa is light and 1/2 the cost at least of anything esle = the price of the boat went up accordingy.
Same goes for stringer grids and transoms.

Without proper workmansip, keep those boats down south.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Just to update all on this. I just got the new hardtop and I have to say Grady gets a huge thumbs up. I actually thought I was only getting the hardtop and nothing else. Much to my surprise when I went to pick it up I last week I got and early xmas present. It came with the radio box and the light mounted and all the wiring rigged and ready to go. All along I was dreading having to do all that extra work and now I can focus on other things. A huge thumbs up to Grady on this and great service.

Now for the bad news to balsa core top owners. Take a hard look at your penetrations and stay up on the sealing in them. We took the old top off and even the factory penetrations were not up to what I would call standard. Just silicone filled with no epoxy protection. Then the compression applied compounded the problem. Also the radar and gps mount sealing was horrible if not non-existant. They were how ever not the down fall because they were still dry. It was the VHF antenna that started the issue and maybe the bolts to the hardtop. Boy was it juicy up there.

Let me know if you want some pics and I will post them. Also I believe Grady does not want the top back and I do not need it taking up space so before I cut it up and dump it let me know if anyone wants it or needs anything from it. Pickup only or you arrange the pack and ship for the large parts.