Suspension Seating for a Seafarer 228

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has put a suspension seat on their 228? There are plenty to chose from, however the achilles heal seems to be there are not that many with a short seat mast. Everything I find puts me 2-4" higher that the OEM seat. Just wondering if anyone has found a solution? This is a comfort thing not related to going too fast, so lets keep it constructive. Thanks, Brad

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In the below link look for part number 4185, which I think something like these where you'd have to cut out a hole in the seat boxes would probably be your best bet as they're about the lowest profile pedestals you can get at 8.5" tall. Everything else seems to be in the 14"-15" range.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In the below link look for part number 4185, which I think something like these where you'd have to cut out a hole in the seat boxes would probably be your best bet as they're about the lowest profile pedestals you can get at 8.5" tall. Everything else seems to be in the 14"-15" range.

Thanks, I saw this one. This is definitely an option I will call on next week. Much appreciated

Timcan

Reaction score
User JJmag has one on his boat I can’t remember the brand send him a PM. I know when I was on his boat I saw the seat in action and I think it’s worth it.

Reactions: Ryhlick

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
User JJmag has one on his boat I can’t remember the brand send him a PM. I know when I was on his boat I saw the seat in action and I think it’s worth it.
Thanks, I will look him up.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I leave my boat up at my beach cabin throughout the year and I'm not around it currently, but any idea of approximately what height of pedestal or seat base you'll need? I'm assuming it'll need to be less than about 10" tall or so?

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I leave my boat up at my beach cabin throughout the year and I'm not around it currently, but any idea of approximately what height of pedestal or seat base you'll need? I'm assuming it'll need to be less than about 10" tall or so?
Ideally it would be less than 10”. If I go with shox or seaspenion, it should be attainable. I can recess up to 7 1/4” into the storage compartment.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ideally it would be less than 10”. If I go with shox or seaspenion, it should be attainable. I can recess up to 7 1/4” into the storage compartment.
Are you talking about the Shoxs suspension pedestals by AllSalt? If so, their x4 looks like it has a height of 16"

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, it is just shy of 16". I will be able to recess the mount almost 7.5" and that will just about 8.5" to the top of the mount. It is 2" taller than my current seat position, but I like the line of site better and steering will be just fine.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ryhlick, If you do wind up with a good suspension seat in your boat and you are the only one enjoying the cushioning effects, then you have to be mindful of your passengers that are enduring the ride without that benefit. I speak from experience as I used to have a welded aluminum boat and ran white water out West. I made a lot of miles on the Snake, Salmon and Rogue rivers. My boat had a high-quality compensating seat by Bostrum at the helm but the other seats were solid. More than once I would get complaints from my passengers that the pounding was too much when I was having a nice ride.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ryhlick, If you do wind up with a good suspension seat in your boat and you are the only one enjoying the cushioning effects, then you have to be mindful of your passengers that are enduring the ride without that benefit. I speak from experience as I used to have a welded aluminum boat and ran white water out West. I made a lot of miles on the Snake, Salmon and Rogue rivers. My boat had a high-quality compensating seat by Bostrum at the helm but the other seats were solid. More than once I would get complaints from my passengers that the pounding was too much when I was having a nice ride.
Definitely something to be aware of. I am hoping to be able to do both seats if all goes well. Thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, it is just shy of 16". I will be able to recess the mount almost 7.5" and that will just about 8.5" to the top of the mount. It is 2" taller than my current seat position, but I like the line of site better and steering will be just fine.
I could be mistaken but the Shoxs brand looks like you'd have to cut the seat boxes and then flush mount them somehow underneath whereas the Seaspension ones are designed differently where they mount on top of the seat box and then you just have to cut a hole for the shock to be able to "bottom out" or "travel" underneath the seat box. If I had to pick, I'd think I'd personally go with the Seaspension ones as they look quite a bit less invasive than the Shoxs. The Seaspension ones are also pretty nice in that they have a non-swivel low profile unit that only sticks up 6" above the seat boxes. It's part #4406, though I'd think most people probably want the ability to be able to swivel their seats around.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Regardless of which brand you go with, you will have to recess it into the seat box. I ended up going with the seaspension, Ian was wonderful to work with. I ended up going with the 4485, it will stick 8.5" above the box. I was playing with the chair height and being up a bit higher was better for me and my line on sight. Going with the model # 4485, there will still be 6 3/4" in the box. If for some reason this doesn't work well, Ian at seaspension will send me the 4406. I will document the installation and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: A&J Outdoors