Swim Platform Replacement - 208

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I replied to another thread to a member looking for a swim platform. I just so happened to be in the middle of replacing mine so I thought I would just start my own thread:

The core on mine was rotted on the original in one spot and I wasn't happy with the size of the available replacements. They were all so much smaller, even from some of the top name manufacturers. Since my brackets and ladder were fine I just purchased a piece of 2ftx2ft 1" Anti Skid Starboard (most manufacturer replacements use 3/4") and patterned off the original.

I was all ready to mount it this morning when I decided I need to make some sort of groove on the bottom side where the tubular bracket will make contact with the underside of the platform. The original platform was recessed in the middle just a bit, leaving a 1/4” edge around the perimeter. There were half moon cutouts on the front and rear edges to more or less stabilize the tubes from moving when grabbed to climb aboard, relieving some stress from the four mounting bolts. I will somehow have to make a slight concave groove the entire length of the platform underneath where the tubing is making contact.

Which brings up the next “thing”. Might as well remove and reseat the bolts securing the tubing bracket. In my case I think they are lag bolts. I understand that the preferred method would be to use nuts and bolts, but they are rock solid, probably because she’s a trailer queen so I think I will just remove and reseal them with some 4200 and put them back.

See…that’s how easy it is to remove and replace a swim platform. hahahaha

Attachments

• AntiSkid.jpg
    AntiSkid.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 41
  • OldPlatform .jpg
    OldPlatform .jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 42
  • NewPlatform.jpg
    NewPlatform.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 43
  • New-N-Old.jpg
    New-N-Old.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20-Degree.jpg
    20-Degree.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: JJMag

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good idea - before it breaks and someone gets hurt, for sure! :)

FYI... those "grooves"... don't worry about it. Just bolt it on and go swimming. Absolutely not needed. What I would do, though, is to route the aft edge - round it over - otherwise it could be uncomfortable underfoot (being a sharper edge). Hit it with a 1/4 roundover bit.

Add a 4-step, slide-out, undermount ladder and you're all set!

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Good idea - before it breaks and someone gets hurt, for sure! :)

FYI... those "grooves"... don't worry about it. Just bolt it on and go swimming. Absolutely not needed. What I would do, though, is to route the aft edge - round it over - otherwise it could be uncomfortable underfoot (being a sharper edge). Hit it with a 1/4 roundover bit.

Add a 4-step, slide-out, undermount ladder and you're all set!

You twisted my arm. LOL

All edges rounded and smoothed :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
And we're done . Rock solid

Attachments

• 20200404_131659.jpg
    20200404_131659.jpg