Testing aft bilge pump on 330 Express

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was trying to test my aft bilge pump by running a hose down to the bottom and I couldn't get it to activate. And when I ran it manually I could hear it whirr away, but no water was ejecting... I ended up calling my marina guys to check it out and they reported that the pump did work fine, but that it required a LOT of water down there -- I guess the water was running forward. Anyways, I have tested it before and didn't struggle to get water to pump, but my mechanic assures me that all is well.

Anyone else experience this? I guess don't test the pumps as much as I should!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I noticed the same thing with mine and tested using a small bucket. Ended up having to replace it and went with a Jihnson 2200 GPH with electronic sensor. Actually replaced both!

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You might try running the boat so that it is up on a slow plane, and pour a bucket of water into bilge. That should keep the water in the stern, and allow the pump to work. Do you have a float switch there?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just stuff a rag into the drain hole that runs forward - add water and test pump and then pull the rag

Reactions: Sdfish

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I have a float switch (and in fact, I installed a backup pump and high water alarm too)...

Interesting about the rag -- I think that's what my mechanic did too to test. So I guess that is the best way to test the aft pump at the dock. Will add that to my spring check list! I'm pretty sure my marina does actually check the pumps, but I like to be sure...

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The rag idea might be hard to do on a 330. Not easy access unless it is different than mine. The low point is the forward bilge area and I can only get my aft pump to move water if the boat is squatting underway. Typically my bilges are very dry and I'm satisfied if I can hear the pumps run.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I do the rag trick back at the ramp to run fresh water thru the bilge pumps. Also started doing the same for bait and washdown pumps. A great tip a member here suggested!