The New Adventure

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I

I think that, and I’m not trying to sound rude here, but that a 208 Adventure is maybe more of an entry level boat or one made more for “the family man”? It’s versatile, you can pull the kids behind it easily on an inner tube or ski, you can cruise with the wife or other couples on it, you can fish off of it as well and it’s listed at a pretty competitive price point for a family to be able to buy. That being said, bumping up in size to the 228 Seafarer makes for a little bit of a different ballgame where you’ve got a little bit bigger, heavier and imo a bit more of a dedicated fishing boat for those that are much more serious about fishing. You can definitely still do all of the things mentioned above and then some, but imo it’s more meant for the serious or more competitive fisherman as opposed to the 208 Adventure. Especially when it comes to the $30k+ price difference between the two… the average joe probably will think that “I don’t need that big or fancy of a boat and a 20 footer will be just fine.”

Well the 228 is not an option and the price point of the 218 is way higher than a 228 3 years ago.

I'm just happy with my 228 even though I bought new (should not have done that but whatever). $150K for a 218 makes me love my 228, it's a better boat and was cheaper.

I don't see $150K as a "pretty competitive price point for a family", I bet there are other boats out there that appeal to the family.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I think Grady just missed the mark. $150K for a 21 foot boat? Yeah, I'm looking at whalers or scouts, they are good brands and I don't think they are that spendy. Maybe I'm wrong and this is the new normal. If it is, I'm loving my $130K out the door with 9.something sales tax 228.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't see $150K as a "pretty competitive price point for a family", I bet there are other boats out there that appeal to the family.

I'm not trying to be a dick but I think Grady just missed the mark. $150K for a 21 foot boat? Yeah, I'm looking at whalers or scouts, they are good brands and I don't think they are that spendy. Maybe I'm wrong and this is the new normal. If it is, I'm loving my $130K out the door with 9.something sales tax 228.
I meant that the 208 Adventure was a much more competitive price range for a family guy, considering that you could get a moderately well optioned one for around $75k, or even less.

I agree, the Euro style transom doesn't do anything for me and I think that too much space that could be used for fishing, or anything else, is being taken up by the motorwell for the outboard.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
"You can definitely still do all of the things mentioned above and then some, but imo it’s more meant for the serious or more competitive fisherman as opposed to the 208 Adventure." Sorry Mustang, can't agree with that comment. Size of a boat has little to nothing to do with a "serious or more competitive fisherman." Yes, in certain conditions you may be able to explore and fish little further from your port but again it has no "bearing" (no pun intended) on competitiveness .......says he with a 208!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Not saying I would not love a 228, but I fished pretty hard in 17 whaler, tuna, mahi and lots more. A lot to be said on the simplicity of smaller skiff to.
But yeah, a 228 would be awesome.
I agree, a new 218 is a pretty spendy boat. At that price, I'd be looking at other options.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Not saying I would not love a 228, but I fished pretty hard in 17 whaler, tuna, mahi and lots more. A lot to be said on the simplicity of smaller skiff to.
But yeah, a 228 would be awesome.
I agree, a new 218 is a pretty spendy boat. At that price, I'd be looking at other options.
Yep. I think I'd look hard at a Northcoast, Whaler conquest, even a Parker. I doubt Grady cares though, there will always be someone willing to over pay, Grady makes a nice boat.

If it were up to me, I would have left the 208 and 228 in place. But it's not up to me, you have to assume Grady has crunched the numbers and is doing what makes business sense. The market may push back on the 218, we'll have to wait and see.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I went and looked, here's the sales order. $118K plus tax. $150K for the 218 is insane. No offense to those who have bought it, but it's not an upgrade from my 228 - for me at least. At the time I bought my boat, I could have gotten a 208 for around $85K and I thought the 228 was expensive. Now I'm thinking the 228 was a great deal.

Whatever, I don't want to disrespect anyone who wants a 218, if that boat checks your boxes, welcome to the Grady boat crowd, enjoy it. Write the check, cry once, enjoy it forever.

228.jpg

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
"You can definitely still do all of the things mentioned above and then some, but imo it’s more meant for the serious or more competitive fisherman as opposed to the 208 Adventure." Sorry Mustang, can't agree with that comment. Size of a boat has little to nothing to do with a "serious or more competitive fisherman." Yes, in certain conditions you may be able to explore and fish little further from your port but again it has no "bearing" (no pun intended) on competitiveness .......says he with a 208!
That's the joy of being on a forum, you don't have to agree with me ;)

On a serious note though, I can't say that I have any desire to try and go out fishing in my 10' kayak. Those that are serious about fishing are generally going to have a bit bigger of a boat so that they can go fishing in just about any conditions they want to go out in. I had a similar issue with my previous boat, which was a 21' Arima, where you could only go out in certain conditions and even then, if there was 1'-2' chop you'd still get pounded. There's no way in hell that I'd take that boat out in the open ocean, even on the best of days, because the weather can and does change very quickly. With my 228 Seafarer that is only 1' bigger, I'd feel comfortable with taking that out in far worse conditions than I'd ever consider taking the Arima out in. So yes, I'm still going to stand by my argument that even a slightly bigger boat can definitely make quite a bit of difference.

Reactions: luckydude

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep. I think I'd look hard at a Northcoast, Whaler conquest, even a Parker. I doubt Grady cares though, there will always be someone willing to over pay, Grady makes a nice boat.

If it were up to me, I would have left the 208 and 228 in place. But it's not up to me, you have to assume Grady has crunched the numbers and is doing what makes business sense. The market may push back on the 218, we'll have to wait and see.
I've never heard of a Northcoast boat before, the look of them reminds me of a company called Steiger Craft boats.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Mustang, ..... OK now it appears to be about comfort as apposed to serious and competitive, I understand that. I don't think we should confuse budget with ones serious pursuit of the fickle and scaled finned. Yes those with deeper pockets can ride in more comfort , but then some of us get accustomed to getting bounced around with some restrictions by weather and tide. OK, I will give it a rest, and just say sometimes "age" has a way of slowing down the competitive and serious edge of our pursuit in the art of fishing, with more of a laid back attitude which has nothing to do with budgets, size or even determination .....I guess that would include me. Enjoy looking at all the "Mustangs Grady Sales" ...yes I would go bigger but.........for now my 2000008 is perfect.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Mustang, ..... OK now it appears to be about comfort as apposed to serious and competitive, I understand that. I don't think we should confuse budget with ones serious pursuit of the fickle and scaled finned. Yes those with deeper pockets can ride in more comfort , but then some of us get accustomed to getting bounced around with some restrictions by weather and tide. OK, I will give it a rest, and just say sometimes "age" has a way of slowing down the competitive and serious edge of our pursuit in the art of fishing, with more of a laid back attitude which has nothing to do with budgets, size or even determination .....I guess that would include me. Enjoy looking at all the "Mustangs Grady Sales" ...yes I would go bigger but.........for now my 2000008 is perfect.
A few things to note and then I guess it'll be an "agree to disagree type of situation"... it's not only about comfort, it's about being a more versatile boat in that you can fish with it, take the family out and have fun, hit up the sandbar with it, go cruising, shrimping, take it to SeaFair and so forth. With my previous 21' Arima, it was more of a dedicated fishing boat and not much more than that. To me, it's kind of like a 232 Gulfstream compared to a 228 Seafarer in that you can do just about anything with it, but the more you go up in size, the more the boat seems to focus on more serious fishing as opposed to the other things. Furthermore, the size of boat isn't always proportional to budget or money spent on said boat. Arima's have an almost cult like following out here in the Seattle area and because of that, I purchased it for $16.5k in June/July of 2017 in Maryland, owned it for four seasons and then sold it actually to a guy that drove up from California to buy it, for $27.5k. After four seasons of using the boat pretty hard, I still managed to walk away with over $10k in profit. When I bought my 228 Seafarer, also shockingly back in Maryland, they were asking $28k for it and I offered them $26.5k, which they accepted, so I actually still pocketed $1k and also upgraded to a boat that's 100x better in every way. The moral of the story is that again, I don't think that the size of the boat is the only indicator of pricing. At the time, it was late September/early October when I bought my 228 Seafarer and it had been on the lot for sale for a couple of weeks, so I think they were trying to move the boat along at that point.

I also think that the bigger takeaways here would be the location of the boat, being patient as I waited just over a year to find the right one, be diligent about searching every single day if you are serious and do really want a boat, etc. I ended up financing the boat for a couple of different reasons, but my monthly payment on the boat is less than $300 a month. If one is serious about boating or fishing and wants to own a boat, I think it's very doable to be able to afford one, especially if you're looking at a boat for less than $30k. And that's why I look back on the east coast when I do look for boats as they're usually about half the price or less than what you find them for out here in the Seattle area, or at least that's the experience I've had with my last three boats. I'm glad that your 208 Adventure is the perfect boat for you, I looked at several online and was even considering going that route a few times when there weren't many 228 Seafarer's to look at. I think at the end of the day that I would've been "content" with a 208 Adventure and that it would've worked out ok for me, but like you, I think my boat is perfect for my needs and I'm very much glad that I was patient and bought the exact boat that I wanted to get. Lastly, I wanted a slightly larger boat than my Arima, which unfortunately the 208 Adventure has a length of 20'4" whereas the 21' Arima was at 21'2" and I didn't want a new boat that was almost a foot shorter than my last one.

Last edited:

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Boats are a lot like tractors. I started with a little 16hp, then sold that, got a 21hp, and added a 59hp. They all worked and they all were useful.
Any tractor is better than no tractor and the same is true for boats.

I think the appeal of the 228 is that it is "a big little boat" or "a little big boat". It's big enough for offshore tuna runs and small enough to trailer it home. It checks my boxes.

I also looked at a 208, there was one at the dealer when the 228 was still at the factory. It's a workable boat for fishing, less than ideal for having a deck covered in crab pots. Don't get me wrong, the 208 is a fine boat, I just wanted a little bigger.

OK, I think I've beaten this topic to death, I'm gonna see if there is a window to go fish :cool:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the appeal of the 228 is that it is "a big little boat" or "a little big boat". It's big enough for offshore tuna runs and small enough to trailer it home. It checks my boxes.

I also looked at a 208, there was one at the dealer when the 228 was still at the factory. It's a workable boat for fishing, less than ideal for having a deck covered in crab pots. Don't get me wrong, the 208 is a fine boat, I just wanted a little bigger.
Agree completely! And after owning a 228 Seafarer, I don't think I would ever want to move back down in size to a smaller boat, unless my fishing/boating needs changed up considerably.

Reactions: luckydude

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky, I guess I worked backward, from a 38 ft. commercial troller to a 20" Grady with a coupe of smaller stops on the way. But it sure has been a good time getting here.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What did it have for power??? The @18 I saw at the AC Boat show was 158K but it did have a 250 Yamaha on it
Pretty sure it had a Yamaha F250. Certainly nothing less than that.

I'll be going back there, hopefully soon, to pick up my boat. I'll try to get a pic of the price tag.

Like I said, my Grady dealer sells to the Palm Beachers and I believe their prices are typically higher than other dealers I've seen. But I think that is generally true for just about everything in SE FL. I also believe they tend to sell more of the bigger Gradys. We've only bought 'smaller' Gradys from them, but they have treated us really well.

Transom bang cap on my boat is being replaced before there were any seepage issues. I asked them to call me when the old aluminum strip was off. Sure enough, it was dry, solid wood under that cap. I had noticed that the aluminum erosion seemed to have accelerated in the last year. Was hoping to stay ahead of any troubles.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My local dealer has one with a $139,000 price tag on it. Seems pretty well optioned with the hardtop, plumbed port-potti and livewell. I recall seeing the tracks and snaps for curtains, but didn't see the curtains on the boat.

Is possible that it is a leftover model already? I didn't look at that.

It would be unusual for anything boating related in my area to cost less than other areas. Maybe I missed the big hole in the bottom :cool: .

Rob
I was wrong. I was back at that same dealership and the price tag is $169k, not 139k like I wrote previously. Don't know which is worse, my eyes or my memory!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
$170k for a 21’ boat is crazy imo. Guess I’ll be holding onto my 228 Seafarer for the $26.5k that I paid for it.

Reactions: Eastern HighReach

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I didn't see any new boat prices that weren't crazy! And I don't think it's limited to Gradys.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I didn't see any new boat prices that weren't crazy! And I don't think it's limited to Gradys.
I don't know... when you can get a brand new 2023 Parker 2320 for $35k less, not including the trailer, that makes me think the Grady might be slightly overpriced. Seems like just about everyone is doing away with the walkaround style boats, so it's a little difficult to compare it to, but yeah even the 2120 Parker is less than $100k brand new. Not that everyone wants to buy a Parker, but still...

Reactions: Sdfish