Threads for 228 baitwell tube?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Does anyone know what the thread is on the overflow tube that screws in the bottom of the baitwell? Is that some standard thing? I know the tube is just run of the mill PVC you can get at any hardware store (because the rounded cross on mine broke and I replaced it with a drilled out PVC cap).

I do know the threads that Grady used are not the normal PVC stuff (which I think is pipe thread). It's much coarser than that.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you just need a replacement, you can get the whole thing for $10. It's only 10 inch, but you know that you can extend it with PVC.

Some of the THMarine drains are push in, not screw in. Mine does not have the small hole in the side of the threads, which lets you unscrew it part way, and suck small fish scales and junk out the bottom. I will make that mod mself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gulffisher

Fishtales

Reaction score
see your dealer, the part is pretty inexpensive.

wmassey9

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
228 Seafarer with live baitwell. can't get water in, can't find valve to open. Help

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
228 Seafarer with live baitwell. can't get water in, can't find valve to open. Help

I don't know if it is the same as my 2020 228, but in my boat there two seacocks, one for the baitwell and one for the raw washdown. Mine are in those two compartments on either side of the baitwell. I believe, but am not 100% positive, the starboard side one is the baitwell and the port side is the washdown but I'm not sure.

They are brass or copper rods with a black ball on top, you pull them up to open.

I've been told it's a bad idea to run all the time with them open, not sure why. I've been running with them open for almost 4 years.

Good luck.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't know if it is the same as my 2020 228, but in my boat there two seacocks, one for the baitwell and one for the raw washdown. Mine are in those two compartments on either side of the baitwell. I believe, but am not 100% positive, the starboard side one is the baitwell and the port side is the washdown but I'm not sure.

They are brass or copper rods with a black ball on top, you pull them up to open.

I've been told it's a bad idea to run all the time with them open, not sure why. I've been running with them open for almost 4 years.

Good luck.
Is very hard to find I replaced mine last year. I got it from T&H marine. Never thought about asking the dealer that would’ve been easier.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305

Good luck.

Both Gradys I have owned have the valves/handles labeled i.e. washdown and LiveWell. I cannot help with location though. You can run the boat with the washdown valve open no problem. However, if you run with the livewell seacock open you will force feed the livewell with water and run the risk of filling and over filling the live well.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Good luck.
What he said, except mine are on stainless rods and I own a 1999 seafarer 228.

TikiCharterFishing

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235

Good luck.
By definition, the thru hull valves are located within a few inches of the bottom of the hull. So look in any access ports in the cockpit of the boat.
The reason to not run with them open all the time is to not sink if a hose breaks while underway or sitting at a dock.

Reactions: OceanSun

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Found black ball Starboard side. Frozen shut. Suggestions
looks like it's time to replace it. It's a good idea to routinely exercise the valve by opening and closing it.

wmassey9

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, pulled at the angle of insertion, and worked without flaw. turned on pump and all worked satisfactory. All information gained on this thread. Thanks