Thru Hull Hose Replacement

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
haha - not this one. When I go back to replace these, I'll know the right ones to get! Thanks for keeping me straight!

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I'm prepping a (new to me) 2004 180 Sportsman that was trailered. All my thru hulls are bronze and hoses look good. Do 16 year old bronze thru hull fittings need replacement? What about the seacock for the live well? It too is bronze.

IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm prepping a (new to me) 2004 180 Sportsman that was trailered. All my thru hulls are bronze and hoses look good. Do 16 year old bronze thru hull fittings need replacement? What about the seacock for the live well? It too is bronze.

View attachment 15444View attachment 15445

View attachment 15446

What does the inside of those thru hulls look like? My exteriors look the same, I believe they are chrome rather than stainless steel.

I have the same question as you....Should they be replaced due to safety concerns or is it more an aesthetic change as they don’t look nice?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bronze is pretty much the most durable metal you can get. Even better than SS. The only "problem" is that it turns green (verdigris) with age because of the copper in it -- think: Statue of Liberty. However, it's not really a problem functionally as this is it's natural way of protecting itself. The coloring is just aesthetic. The fancy chrome coating is the delicate part. So... 16 years old? They're still just a infant.

You can clean them up if you want and maybe put a protective clear coat on there - but you'll need to re-do that every so often.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Good to hear...as far as cleaning them up? Nah, I like patina on bronze...IMG_27244.jpg