To upgrade engines or Not to upgrade this is the question!

Boxster964

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a low hour 2000 Marlin with 250hrs on hull and motors. I came across a set of 2007 Yamaha 250 4strokes 700 hrs they run nicely. My OX66 have 250hrs and run excellent but goble fuel and oil. I am impressed by these engines easy to upkeep starting is a breeze. With the mid section issues on the 4strokes not sure if it's a good idea.

seasick

Reaction score
Two things come to mind; The 4s are heavier and mal adversely affect the way the boat sits in the water.
Secondly, the new motors may be subject to the exhaust corrosion problem and should be checked out if you are leaning towards them.

The OX motors have very little hours on them. That may not be a good thing for 23 year old engines. That said, they are one of the more reliable motors you can have. Yes, they are noisy, smoke somewhat and gobble gas but it could take a very long time to recoup the expense of a repower based purely on better gas efficiency.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i dont think the extra weight should affect the marlin too much. i have those motors on my chase. the marlin should handle the weight way better.

the 4s motors will be much quieter and wont have the fumes that the 2s do.

the 4s will be much more efficient. i always like the idea of lower running costs. that is incentive to use it more.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

mjm1957

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Let me know if you want to sell the OX66'S.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From what I've read online, the ox66's weigh approximately 500 lbs dry, whereas the 2007 Yamaha F250's will weigh about 590-600 lbs a piece depending on which model you go with. I don't imagine that the weight difference will be all that noticeable on that big of a boat, especially since you'll lose some weight with the oil reservoirs that you've got for your 2 strokes. You don't mention the cost though, how much are the F250's and what do you think you could sell your ox66's for? If the exhausts check out on the F250's and the price is negligible or close to it, then I see no reason not to go with the F250's.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I liked my F250 set. My 2007 Marlin liked them. The only way to be sure on the corrosion issue is to pull the power head off. Scoping while the lower unit is off can give clues, but you must pull the powerhead to be sure. If you go that far, either replace the oil pump or rebuild with new seals.

If you make the deal, good luck.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
May be worth it if the price is right. They are 16 year old motors and as such, may start having issues anytime. You know the condition of the current ones you have, albeit burn fuel/oil. On the upside, upgrading to 4S will start easy and better efficiency when it is working correctly. I don't think the weight would be too much of an issues, may need to adjust the bottom paint (if it has on it).
I contemplated the same when I spun a bearing on my previous 2004 Yammie 200hp 4s units a few years ago. I decided to go with new, and looked for dent and scratch sale on a so Cal dealer. May not be as much of an option these days, but then I was able to get a fair cost and 6 year warranty. That is my $0.02.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From what I've heard and read, it's around 2008-2009 when they came out with a I believe different model or configuration that helped "address" the issue.

To the OP, I'd post this in the general discussion part of the forum to get a few more responses and opinions. You posted it in the for sale/wanted section of the forum, which is going to get quite a bit less traffic and views.

Boxster964

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks everyone for the insightful opinions. The engines would be zero cost. But I would have to give up the OX66 in the deal. The ox66 startup amazingly well. No issues at all at this time. They sat for 20yrs so I went through the entire fuel system both engines hp pump Vst filters pulled injectors professionally cleaned also Little filter in the injectors cleaned. Resealed both lower units water pumps and pop it valves. Lastly Trims seals on trim units. So Im done they run great but I was thinking the 4strokes would increase the value of the boat. I wouldn't think twice if these 4s were 4.2liter motors .
Thanks for the info

seasick

Reaction score
The fact that someone wants to trade 4s for your OXs tells you something and I am not sure it is a good thing. The 4s should have more value than the 2s especially since they are older.
Having a motor sit for 20 years is not a good thing at all. I am a tad suspicious.
I suppose it is possible that the other owner had 2s on their boat and repowered with the 4s only to find out that the extra weight was an issue and wants to go back but that is purely supposition. Going from 2s to 4s is easier than going from 4s to 2s, if all the 2s oil system was removed.

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I would do that swap in a minute, even if I had to replace both exhausts. The value of your boat will increase above the out of pocket expense.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would do that swap in a minute, even if I had to replace both exhausts. The value of your boat will increase above the out of pocket expense.
the only issue with that is depending on your location, you might not have the exhaust kits available in your area. I know that some of the kits for the F225's have been out of stock for quite sometime. If it was a zero cost though, I'd be more inclined to roll with the dice.

seasick

Reaction score
the only issue with that is depending on your location, you might not have the exhaust kits available in your area. I know that some of the kits for the F225's have been out of stock for quite sometime. If it was a zero cost though, I'd be more inclined to roll with the dice.
That said, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true:) That's my NY don't trust a stranger nature.

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Just call Sim Yamaha with your engine numbers to find out.

But I would scope them first. If the look like new, they were probably replaced already.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That said, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true:) That's my NY don't trust a stranger nature.
Well... we're looking at motors that are now 16 years old and aren't bringing the demand or premium that they were when brand new. Also, on top of that they produced literally a ton of F225's and F250's between 2002 and 2007 and while they aren't what I'd call "a dime a dozen" I'd say they are definitely a bit more of a buyer's market than the other way around.

Legal Bill

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Let’s remember we’re Grady-White owners, not Bayliner owners.

Boxster964

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello everyone the cost is zero because they came on a boat that was used in freshwater. If I scope and all looks good I would swap them out and sell the boat 1 boat is enough for me. I really wanted 4.2L motors so holding out is an option. 4.2's are coming up for sale used market more often now. They are lighter and more fuel efficient. I can't justify brand new motors for this year boat. I'm trying to justify all the work for fuel efficiency gain of .3 mpg I get 1.1mpg now.

Boxster964

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I liked my F250 set. My 2007 Marlin liked them. The only way to be sure on the corrosion issue is to pull the power head off. Scoping while the lower unit is off can give clues, but you must pull the powerhead to be sure. If you go that far, either replace the oil pump or rebuild with new seals.

If you make the deal, good luck.
What fuel consumption did you see and what was the most efficient RPM/fuel consumption combination?