Took Factory Tour last Friday - WOW! - Incredible!

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I took a factory tour last Friday (January 8th) and was so impressed with the factory, the people, the boats, and everything about Grady White. I knew GW was a great company when I made the decision last Fall to purchase my 2010 Tournament 275 (which I took ownership of last September but have yet to splash until April '10). Having read the postings on Great Grady (especially from those members who have toured the factory) I decided to make the pilgrimage to Greenville with my 19 year-old son.

First I have to say that everyone at GW is terrific. We were given the tour by Eddie Rowe who is such a gracious host. During the course of our tour we had a chance to meet Kris Carroll and the rest of her management team (they happened to be in a meeting in her office and Eddie introduced us). What a wonderful group of caring professionals who really get that it's all about making us (their customers) happy.

As anyone who has been on the tour knows, you start by entering the factory and seeing two vintage wooden Grady White's in mint condition. Talk about craftsmanship!. Then you meet Bob (a mannequin) who represents the Grady White customer. I had read about Bob and seeing him in person really drives home the point that Grady White recognizes that they are building a lifelong customer experience.

We spent over an hour touring what seemed like every square inch of the factory. Along the way we met a number of people who all seemed pleased to have us as GW owners and that we took the time to visit (especially since we flew down from Boston just for the tour). If I was impressed before I took the tour, I am in awe of what a great company GW is. They definitely have me as a customer for life (and I have yet to launch my Grady for the first time).

The quality and craftsmanship in their boats is so impressive. The amount of handwork and the level of attention to detail is really top notch. Having seen what goes into their boats helps you understand why they cost what they cost, but also why they ride so well and how they hold their value. They are built rock solid (and yet even a minor blemish attracts major attention in the quality control to make sure that the boat leaving the factory is perfect).

Eddie told us the story about how they routinely get calls from owners of new 20+ year old Grady Whites (new to those owners) and how Grady White continues to support any GW owner. I laughed with Eddie about the fact that they had never heard of "planned obsolescence" in building Grady Whites - to which he responded that they are very proud of the longevity of their products.

In the end I concluded the they are a great company because: (1) they really care about their customers; (2) they are proud of building a top quality product; (3) they "get it" about how to differentiate GW from other companies by product and service; (4) they have the systems and infrastructure to build great boats; (5) quality starts at the design stage all the way through the dealer delivery and follow up support - it's not just a "marketing pitch".

I could go on for hours about how great the tour was. In the end all I can say is that if you own a Grady White and have never taken the tour - find a way to do it - you will be glad you did. If you are considering buying a Grady White - once you take the tour you won't even think about buying another boat.

I'll post pictures later.

It was one of the best days I've ever had.

Ken Goldman

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great post Ken. :D

I went on a group tour a few years back with some folks from Wilmington. It was quite an experience. After the tour the management team, including Kris and VP of Engineering David Neese, took us to a conference room for snacks, sodas, and Q&A. They wanted to hear likes, dislikes, and suggestions for future features.

GW has the feel of a family business. It reflects in their CS and in their products. I am a big fan of the boats as well as the company.

BTW: Be sure to join their new Facebook page!

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
I have called GW before about my 88, they were always willing to help me find a part or sugest a replacement.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Was that Bob or Bob P (the mannequin)

Were any 42 footer CCs in production?

I'm asking for NEM !

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I agree that GW's have excellent ergonomics ( better than most every boat I've been on ), their hulls are well designed and ride well in most conditions, and they have excellent customer service which seems to be acknowledged on this forum about every month or so. But I strongly disagree their quality is on the same level as other high quality boatbuilders like Pursuit and Edgewater.

Some of the things I've noticed are their cabin countertops are not solid core like on many high quality boats and appear to be a sprayed on finish. The cabin windows in the Marlin are smoked plastic and do not even open, compare them to what Pursuit uses and the difference is obvious. And GW is one of the few companies that still uses wood stringers covered with fiberglass cloth. Most other high quality builders went to fiberglass box stringer grids awhile ago. I do not see how even properly covered wood benefits the consumer versus the lifetime no rot no worry of a fiberglass box stringer system.

Additionally their windshield frames look very cheap to me compared to the monocoque system Pursuit uses on their boats, there simply is no comparision in looks and strength between the two. GW has stuck with the same color in their hullsides forever while other builders offer more attractive and modern looking colors.

The time to upgrade their quality and refresh their looks is long overdue especially considering the prices they ask for their boats.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I have been on the tour twice and I agree with you...it is impressive. The best thing was to be able to climb in and out of a boat just like yours that is under construction so you can see where eveything is and how it is put together. I found it interesting that most of the employees had more than 15 years service. That right there says a lot.

If you have never been - you should go.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
SoutheastFL said:
I agree that GW's have excellent ergonomics ( better than most every boat I've been on ), their hulls are well designed and ride well in most conditions, and they have excellent customer service which seems to be acknowledged on this forum about every month or so. But I strongly disagree their quality is on the same level as other high quality boatbuilders like Pursuit and Edgewater.

Some of the things I've noticed are their cabin countertops are not solid core like on many high quality boats and appear to be a sprayed on finish. The cabin windows in the Marlin are smoked plastic and do not even open, compare them to what Pursuit uses and the difference is obvious. And GW is one of the few companies that still uses wood stringers covered with fiberglass cloth. Most other high quality builders went to fiberglass box stringer grids awhile ago. I do not see how even properly covered wood benefits the consumer versus the lifetime no rot no worry of a fiberglass box stringer system.

Additionally their windshield frames look very cheap to me compared to the monocoque system Pursuit uses on their boats, there simply is no comparision in looks and strength between the two. GW has stuck with the same color in their hullsides forever while other builders offer more attractive and modern looking colors.

The time to upgrade their quality and refresh their looks is long overdue especially considering the prices they ask for their boats.

SoutheastFL:

Grady builds their boats the way that Grady chooses to build them. Some buyers won't buy a GW because they want a different construction (composite versus wood), because they don't like the lack of hull color choices, or because they want different countertops or cabin windows. You can't please every possible customer.

What I can say is that Grady White doesn't appear to do anything half-assed. From what I saw and learned, it doesn't seem like they have stuck with wood because it's cheaper or easier. I asked Eddie the question and his answer was they they continue to use wood because they have yet to find another alternative that provides the combination of strength and flexibility. Although they use some composites in their larger boats to keep weight down, in the mid-size and smaller boats, weight is not an issue (and is part of why Grady's ride so solidly).

I would invite you to call their VP of Engineering to talk about construction methods. Although you may disagree with how they do things, my guess is that you will at least leave the conversation knowing that they have given it a lot of thought. When you consider the new models that they have introduced in the past few years, it would have been very easy to move to all composite (no wood) construction and to change the stringer or transom construction. Grady White looks to build the best boat for the money (and yes - they charge a premium for a premium product from a premium company with premium customer support).

The irony about your comment about Pursuits is that the day after my Grady White tour, I went to the Providence Rhode Island Boat Show with my son. After seeing how Grady Whites are built, we looked at probably 100 boats to see how their wiring was done, how their plumbing and thru-hulls were done, and their use of backing plates and other top quality hardware. We were really disappointed in how Pursuit, Everglades, Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, and a number of other supposedly good manufacturers built boats. In my opinion, the best way to judge the quality of a boat is to look in all the places they never expect you to look. Wiring is an easy one in that most boat builders seem to use trained (or possibly untrained) monkeys to do wiring. Plumbing, thru-hulls, and deck hardware is another area. We saw lots of boats without backing plates (which probably add only a few dollars to the average boat). We were shocked to see windlasses wired with 8 or 10 gauge wire over long distances.

No manufacturer is perfect in building anything. I'm sure that there are some great custom boat builders who make terrific products. Very few of them have the organizational strength of a company like Grady White behind them (read their 50th Anniversary book on the GW website if you really want to understand their DNA).

Yes - I have drunk the Grady White Kool Aid (and am happy that I have).

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
BobP said:
Was that Bob or Bob P (the mannequin)

Were any 42 footer CCs in production?

I'm asking for NEM !

It was Bob the mannequin. I asked about what's next for GW in terms of larger boats. The answer is that when more power is available, they will build bigger boats. We talked about Yamaha making a 400 version of the 350. My guess is that a 42' is probably in the design phase (just a guess) but I didn't see anything larger than a 36' in terms of molds or hulls under construction. I'm sure that there are areas of the factory that are off limits and include R&D projects (like a 42' when the time comes).

Bill_N

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:

I have to disagree with you on this statement. I owned an Edgewater before I bought my 265. They are a nice boat but not of the same quality as a Grady.

Bama96

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:

So go buy a Pursuit. The Marlin windows do open and as far as "Refresh their looks" I don't think that is needed. I think the classic Grady look is what attracted me to the brand. Resale says it all and Grady's sell faster than any other brand. Believe me I know as I have bought and sold three in 6 months. Try that with an Edgewater.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob, thanks for asking about the 42' er. Like he said, is(the 42' mold) probably sitting in one of those secret rooms. Yamaha IS coming out with the 400 version of the 350 and very soon will be a 450 or a 500 out of the same motor, this is what GW is waiting for.
A 42 footer with twin 500's no more than 13 foot beam center console, the MOTHER of all boats. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
CIMG3389.jpg
[/img]
CIMG3390.jpg
[/img]
CIMG3391.jpg

[/img]
CIMG3392.jpg

CIMG3393.jpg

[/img]
CIMG3394.jpg

CIMG3395.jpg

[/img]
CIMG3396.jpg

CIMG3397.jpg

[/img]
CIMG3398.jpg

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
Believe me I know as I have bought and sold three in 6 months. Try that with an Edgewater.

Obviously your opinions are bought and sold by your relationship with GW, as a dealer or broker.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
My opinions are just that, my opinions. Nobody buys or sells my perspective - I just call them as I see them. That said, the beauty of a website like Great Grady is anyone can say what they think (within reason) and anyone else is free to agree or disagree with them.

Although we may not have the same point of view, I respect your ability to have a differing opinion and welcome a healthy and engaging dialogue on any subject.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
ksgoldman said:
Grady builds their boats the way that Grady chooses to build them. Some buyers won't buy a GW because they want a different construction (composite versus wood), because they don't like the lack of hull color choices, or because they want different countertops or cabin windows. You can't please every possible customer.

What I can say is that Grady White doesn't appear to do anything half-assed. From what I saw and learned, it doesn't seem like they have stuck with wood because it's cheaper or easier. I asked Eddie the question and his answer was they they continue to use wood because they have yet to find another alternative that provides the combination of strength and flexibility. Although they use some composites in their larger boats to keep weight down, in the mid-size and smaller boats, weight is not an issue (and is part of why Grady's ride so solidly).

I would invite you to call their VP of Engineering to talk about construction methods. Although you may disagree with how they do things, my guess is that you will at least leave the conversation knowing that they have given it a lot of thought. When you consider the new models that they have introduced in the past few years, it would have been very easy to move to all composite (no wood) construction and to change the stringer or transom construction. Grady White looks to build the best boat for the money (and yes - they charge a premium for a premium product from a premium company with premium customer support).

The irony about your comment about Pursuits is that the day after my Grady White tour, I went to the Providence Rhode Island Boat Show with my son. After seeing how Grady Whites are built, we looked at probably 100 boats to see how their wiring was done, how their plumbing and thru-hulls were done, and their use of backing plates and other top quality hardware. We were really disappointed in how Pursuit, Everglades, Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, and a number of other supposedly good manufacturers built boats. In my opinion, the best way to judge the quality of a boat is to look in all the places they never expect you to look. Wiring is an easy one in that most boat builders seem to use trained (or possibly untrained) monkeys to do wiring. Plumbing, thru-hulls, and deck hardware is another area. We saw lots of boats without backing plates (which probably add only a few dollars to the average boat). We were shocked to see windlasses wired with 8 or 10 gauge wire over long distances.

No manufacturer is perfect in building anything. I'm sure that there are some great custom boat builders who make terrific products. Very few of them have the organizational strength of a company like Grady White behind them (read their 50th Anniversary book on the GW website if you really want to understand their DNA).

Yes - I have drunk the Grady White Kool Aid (and am happy that I have).

You sure have drunk the GW Kool Aid. Your comment about newer GW models having composite stingers while the older models still have wood because "they have yet to find another alternative that provides the combination of strength and flexibility" really is very hypocritical.

I guess their newer models then, which are supposed to be better than older models because of advances in materials and construction, aren't as good because their composite stringers as you put it "don't have the best combination of strength flexibility" that wood provides. Funny how GW says composites are the best in their bigger boats but not in their smaller boats, that is truly ridiculous. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

You better take another look at Pursuits wiring and plumbing as well before you start throwing around unfounded facts, its on par with their Tiara line both of which are head and shoulders above GW.

Your mind is obviously already made up and I am not here to try and change it. I posted so other readers who are more objective will see both the good and the bad of their products and make the decision thats right for them.

Bama96

Reaction score
Nope not a broker. I am an Insurance agent. :D I sold and bought them all without a broker. Grady White's name and customer service out shines all others IMO. Is there a better boat built? Maybe but they have a great combination of a product, design, reputation and service. There strength is obvious in that they are still an independent boat builder and not owned by some corporation.

By the way those pics are great!! Thanks for sharing them.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The wood/composite has an augument for the larger boats. The designers have a target weight for a hull and with wood it may weigh too much.

Here's a few problems:
The wiring on my Sailfish is shoddy, they should have used tinned wire and tidy things up better. Thru-hulls at or under the waterline should NEVER be plastic (the newer ones are now SS). They used silicone to seal the pulpit (guess what happened there). They didn't seal the srews for the fishbox hinges (just found that one out). The screw holes in the deck hatches should not touch the wood so the will never rot out. The screw holes that hold down the hatches should not go into the wood of the stringers (should be drilled oversize and epoxy filled). You should not have these issues on a top tier manufacturer.

Mine is a '91 and she's still looks pretty good for her age. GW wasn't skimpy with the gellcoat and their customer service always gets back to you and does everything they can to help you. What sold me on a Sailfish was the layout. You can't as for much more on a 25' boat and have it usable.

Bama96

Reaction score
I have to say your boat is 20 years old and has very few issues. Go look at another brands boat that is 20+ years old and compare. Seems to me Grady's age well and there are alot of older ones running strong.