Took Factory Tour last Friday - WOW! - Incredible!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
She is pretty good for her age but it's the stupid shortcuts that should have never been there. Just sealing the wood away from the screw holes in the decks can save major headaches later and please NO SILICONE on the outside of the boat. Other areas like the transom usually has probelms from the owner not sealing holes that THEY make (except for the aluminum cap on some boats). To me where they really shine is the way they take care of the customers. I'm pretty far down the list of owners for the boat and they still took good care of me.

Just when you charge top dollar for a boat don't take shortcuts.

wireline

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Great stuff, kinda shows why we pay more and apreciate what we have

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am a Grady White Kool aid drinker. I love my boat and not sure I would buy any other coastal fishing boat. I love the ride, the look, the lack of flashy gel coat colors. Perhaps in 1991 Grady's through hulls could have been better, perhaps all the things folks point could be better. In 1991 did Pusuit or other builders use the same fittings? I don't know because I never looked at a 91 Pursuit.

Wood rots. Fiberglass can absorb water. If it is done right wood stringers can last a lifetime. But, wood does ad to the ride charastics of a Grady. Boats are made by people and people are not perfect. There are flaws in Gradys and in Pursuits. It happens. What counts is how the manufacturer takes care of their customer in the end. Grady likely has few other equals here.

I look forward to touring their plant someday soon.

A

Anonymous

SE, we talked about this before. I am with you ! I find here that most really do not know. Why do you think they ask 100's of questions? If they knew, well they would not ask !

I find I do better talking to my dogs as I polish or repair.

Bill_N

Reaction score
NA2P said:
SE, we talked about this before. I am with you ! I find here that most really do not know. Why do you think they ask 100's of questions? If they knew, well they would not ask !

I find I do better talking to my dogs as I polish or repair.

So this is your reaction after making some negative general statements about Grady's that are not entirely true? As soon as someone calls you on it we're all ignorant?

richie rich

Reaction score
I don't know, but last I checked, this was the Great Grady website? If Pursuit or any other boat is sooooo much better, why don't you join their owners website?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You san like your boat and the company but still have issues with how they build/built.

richie rich

Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem with that...I've got my own issues with mine and have made them public....but to basically come out and take a personal shot at someone because he likes what he saw, or he likes his boat and he's "drinking the koolaid" or he's pro GW because he's "a dealer or broker" etc etc, isn't really necessary is it?

Workdog

Reaction score
What's with the arguing? We are on this site for a reason... Grady fans helping Grady fans. If we wanted a Pursuit we would have bought freekin Pursuits. If I wanted flashy gelcoat I would have bought a damn bass boat. I looked at Pursuits when shopping for my current boat. Wasn't interested. Beautiful(???) wiring wasn't enough to sell me on the Pursuit. Layout was crappy... to me. I know about wiring on an 89 Grady; rewired my boat already. Seems to me, boatbuilders stay in business by making some sort of profit. Nothing wrong with that. To keep the price within reason, each builder decides where to focus their efforts (and where to put lesser effort). One of the areas Grady focuses their efforts is in customer service. I like that. I like it that they have helped me with a problem on my boat (and I was the second owner, AND the boat was over ten years out of warranty). Some boat manufs have very pretty wiring, and yet pump their regurgitated fish guts into the bilge. Every boat is a trade-off. You HAVE heard of that before, right? To me, Grady tradeoffs are all in the right spots. Me coolaid drinker? Don't think so.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
NA52,
Let me get this straight. Using your logic only master craftsman, aquanautical engineers, boat builders and elite thinkers are allowed to post messages on this forum? Wow, I will be the first to admit my limited scope of boating knowledge, but is it not the purpose of forums like these for all the little stupid people like me to learn from such wise boating sages such as yourself?

I ask questions because I want to learn from kind folks here. I make the assumption since most everyone here supoosedly owns and likes their Grady it would be friendly place because of our kindred spirits for loving the water and our Grady Whites. Guess I was wrong.

I use to post on my alma matter's rivals college football forum, but it was over run with internet trolls who thought they were better than everyone else. Never thought this forum would be filled with similar people.

I find your comment insulting and condescending. Not everyone is a seasoned veteran and some folks are new to boating. Me, I have been around boats a good part of my life and owner of something bigger than kayak for just around 8 years. There is some things I know and a lot more I do not. I appreciate the kind folks who give me input, I am here to learn and share what I know even if it is limited.

Warmly,

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NEM, I was thinking about the 42 Yellowfin build thread over at THT, spent an hour and 1/2 going over the 27 pages.

Then thought about seeing you blast past Montauk Point light in a 42 ft Grady CC, that would make my day !

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
richie rich said:
I don't know, but last I checked, this was the Great Grady website? If Pursuit or any other boat is sooooo much better, why don't you join their owners website?

So because this is a "GW website" then nothing can be said that is the slightest bit critical of their boats ? If this forum degrades into a club where there's an unwritten rule that you can only say good things then how do you ever expect GW to know what their prospective customers would like improved ?

The OP mentioned he met GW president "Kris Carroll and the rest of her management team". As professionals I am certain they are secure and open minded enough to want to know both the good and what can be made better in their boats. The very boats you so cherish will only get better because of it. They don't take it so personally and some of you shouldn't either, they're only boats.

And BTW, the original poster made the reference to himself "drinking the Kool-Aid", not me.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jees, what's with you guys? this cold snap is really getting to everyone. i think this is how it started with the donner party. :shock:

gw204

Reaction score
ElyseM said:
jees, what's with you guys? this cold snap is really getting to everyone. i think this is how it started with the donner party. :shock:

Let 'em keep going. I get good laughs out of threads like these. :lol:

Workdog

Reaction score
gw204 said:
ElyseM said:

Let 'em keep going. I get good laughs out of threads like these. :lol:

You're a cruel ba$turd Brian. :lol:

For SE and NA, did you think for a second this was THT??? :wink: Well, here you go: I love my Grady, I realize I spent way tooooo much for the POS, but now that I'm stuck with it (for the past 10 years) I have to justify to the world (with irrational arguments) why I have it, why spagetti wiring makes me tinkle down my leg, and I'm old fashioned because I like a creamy colored boat... now, whereinthehell is my koolaid. 8)

That work for you guys?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Quick follow up-- If folks want to be critical of their boat, dealer or have insight on improving a boat, by all means share it. What is not acceptable is suggesting what NA52 did. Southeast has his or her opinion and an opinion is like a rear end, everyone has one and some may hold water better than others. Na 52's post is out of line, but that is just my opinion :wink:

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
9275.gif

Bama96

Reaction score
SoutheastFL said:
richie rich said:

So because this is a "GW website" then nothing can be said that is the slightest bit critical of their boats ? If this forum degrades into a club where there's an unwritten rule that you can only say good things then how do you ever expect GW to know what their prospective customers would like improved ?

The OP mentioned he met GW president "Kris Carroll and the rest of her management team". As professionals I am certain they are secure and open minded enough to want to know both the good and what can be made better in their boats. The very boats you so cherish will only get better because of it. They don't take it so personally and some of you shouldn't either, they're only boats.

And BTW, the original poster made the reference to himself "drinking the Kool-Aid", not me.

And you think you are so much smarter than the Kris and the Grady management team? I guarantee you they know the "issues", as you call it, with all their boats. They change and adapt to improve the product all the time. Companies don't stay in business for 40 plus years by not improving their product.