Tournament 205 - differences over the years and advice/caution

VanIsleGuy

Reaction score
A year later now and I'm still searching for my 1st boat, but the good news is I'm 99% sure that at least know exactly which boat I want, which is the Tournament 205. (I've posted an ad over in For Sale / Wanted) I'd also go with the newer Freedom 205, but that'll likely start getting outside my price range.
Does anyone know the major differences between the various model years of the Tournament, which if I understand correctly extends from 2004-2009.

Also any words of advice/caution on the Tournament 205?

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can view all the different model year catalogs on the GW website. The boats usually go through a refresh every X years, so you can see the older models up to the new models with all the changes.
Don't have that model, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tournament 205 and Freedom are the same. GW just changed the name.

If you like to run the boat standing up, make sure the side mounted throttle works for you. I’m 6’3” and I couldn’t comfortably run my 205 without having to slouch over and reach the throttle at speed.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the one you buy has a V6 Yamaha, be aware that if the motor is trimmed up all the way and allowed to lean over to full lock , the cowling may contact the cut-out of the liner. I owned one for a couple of years and recently sold it. The Grady dealer mechanic that mounted the motor clued me in to this. If you need to go to full tilt and leave for long periods, like for mooring or extended trailering, get a set of clip-on spacers for the hydraulic rams or make some from PVC pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/TH-Marine-SS-1-DP-Hydraulic-Steering/dp/B000KKD30O

Pablo

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Get one? I have a 2007 Tournament 205 with a Yamaha 200hp, new electronics and a trailer for sale, In the pacific NW. Not listed yet.