Trailer opinions please...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Quick update: Trailer quote from Pirate Marine(recommended by Family affair) in Ohio for Aluminum Load Rite with everything that I want: Guide rails; EOH; Stainless hardware; 8400# capacity: $8,951, for the 6K capacity it was $8,031, nothing in between. Much better than prices here thus far.

My 1st quote to ship it here: $4,795.... Back to square one...
Did you call up Defiance Marine and ask about the one that I linked? I’d go that route if it’s only $7,500 and then another $1k for the EOH brake upgrade. $8,500 is going to likely be the cheapest trailer you’ll find out here, and it’s right here in your own backyard as opposed to having it shipped or have to trailer it back.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My buddy just brought his trailer to a shop for work, the trailer was marginal for his 26ft Pursuit CC. The guy at the shop gave him the option of going from a tri axe with around 9k load capacity to a 2 axe with 2 6k torsion axles and total of 12k capacity. Increase capacity and save money on tires and parts. Seems like a no brainer to me. Did not know this was an option.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
My buddy just brought his trailer to a shop for work, the trailer was marginal for his 26ft Pursuit CC. The guy at the shop gave him the option of going from a tri axe with around 9k load capacity to a 2 axe with 2 6k torsion axles and total of 12k capacity. Increase capacity and save money on tires and parts. Seems like a no brainer to me. Did not know this was an option.
Wait. You mean more isn't always better? ;)
Triaxles provide better stability for bigger boats, but similar results can be attained if the trailer is set up right. The problem is most people setting up trailers don't know what they are doing so more axles and bigger trucks put a bandaid on a poor set up.
Our 270 came with a triaxle. It was very stabile, but a bigger maintenance headache. I went to a tandem and thought I made a mistake because the stability was terrible. I set it up like all the Fisher-Price physics "experts" suggested. I threw that all out the window and went with what makes sense from an engineering/physics perspective. It now pulls straight as an arrow and is very stabile.
OP, go order the Loadrite you need locally and move on.

seasalt

Reaction score
You could also try Road Runner trailers just across the border in Vancouver, Canada. They have a very solid reputation and you may save with the exchange rate. The Tuff trailers are very nice also!

Poffdaddy

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I got a 7000lb Load Rite Elite bunk trailer from Blue Water Marine in Cape May NJ when I purchased my 226 from a seller nearby. It was in 2017 but price then was $4250 for trailer. Blue water was great to work with. Had boat and trailer shippped to San Diego for $2200 using Uship.
Trailer has been good so far with no issues, just replaced tires this season based on age.
Not sure the closest Load Rite dealer to you but East Coast was definitely cheaper. Pacific makes a good trailer on the west coast but was quite a bit more expensive.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Defiance Marine is a LoadRite dealer and it appears that they’re actually the only one in the Seattle area, or at least it looks that way per the map on the dealer finder section of their website.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang: Yep contacted Defiance, have a quote for a 6,300 capacity trailer:

Load Rite Elite Aluminum Trailer: $7,500
EOH: $1,300
Stainless upgrades: $560 (Maybe overkill, but I am in the habit of letting nothing but Stainless get anywhere near my boats)
Bunk side guides: $1000 (Seems way overpriced, been seeing them for around $200 on other sites, but must fit Aluminum I Beams - Will keep researching)
Total: $10,360.

The frustrating piece is that when I asked for a 7K capacity Trailer he said it would likely not fit my boat - It would have bunks hanging off of the back that could mangle my trim tabs - Don't want that. It is possible it will fit, I was unable to measure eye to transom because boat was elsewhere, I have it with me now and intend to make that measurment, but he insists that the one he quoted was the right trailer for my boat.

Made the Measurement: Bow to eye is 3 inches short of being able to go to the next size up on Trailer: I got 19' 10" (I assume that you measure to bottom of transom) The minimum length according to the Load Rite site is 20' 1").

I weighed the Boat/Trailer today and got 5,900lbs (boat only), pretty close to my estimate, again that is with full fuel/water and only 400 lbs wiggle room.

We are close to settling on this, my biggest concern is the Capacity, while sufficient, barely so and several folks have suggested a bit more capacity over my weight.

Seasalt: Yep, I have estimates for both Road runner and Tuff, both in the $12-13K range (both estimates include the upgrades that I listed for the Load Rite). Both from dealers here in the Seattle area.

Thanks again for all of your input. Dave.

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I know I'll get chastised for this, but I have ran both loadrites I've owned close to their limits for thousands of miles collectively with no issues. Full disclosure: I maintain it well, it is always stored indoors on concrete, tire pressure is checked regularly, I'm in freshwater, and I always take load off the axles over the winter.
There is no way guides are $1k. Are we talking the pole type or the carpeted boards with big brackets? The guides I have on my 2022 LR Elite are the pole type and cost about $20 a pair to make. Something is off there. Check Eastermarine.com for LR parts. They likely have the pole type guides there.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Carpeted boards with brackets, about 5 feet long. In my initial search I have not found them for I-beam, but will eventually I am sure. If nothing else I can retrofit the ones designed for galvanized.

Thanks family affair, I'll check that site.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Ah. That would explain the price. Why do you want the large carpeted ones? I've never had a want for anything other than the pole type guides.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have found them to be very helpful in guiding a boat in, particular if in current or wind. We also tend to be on a lot of different ramps that we are not familiar with, some without docks, they are especially helpful in those cases.

Reactions: family affair

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang: Yep contacted Defiance, have a quote for a 6,300 capacity trailer:

Load Rite Elite Aluminum Trailer: $7,500
EOH: $1,300
Stainless upgrades: $560 (Maybe overkill, but I am in the habit of letting nothing but Stainless get anywhere near my boats)
Bunk side guides: $1000 (Seems way overpriced, been seeing them for around $200 on other sites, but must fit Aluminum I Beams - Will keep researching)
Total: $10,360.

The frustrating piece is that when I asked for a 7K capacity Trailer he said it would likely not fit my boat - It would have bunks hanging off of the back that could mangle my trim tabs - Don't want that. It is possible it will fit, I was unable to measure eye to transom because boat was elsewhere, I have it with me now and intend to make that measurment, but he insists that the one he quoted was the right trailer for my boat.

Made the Measurement: Bow to eye is 3 inches short of being able to go to the next size up on Trailer: I got 19' 10" (I assume that you measure to bottom of transom) The minimum length according to the Load Rite site is 20' 1").

I weighed the Boat/Trailer today and got 5,900lbs (boat only), pretty close to my estimate, again that is with full fuel/water and only 400 lbs wiggle room.

We are close to settling on this, my biggest concern is the Capacity, while sufficient, barely so and several folks have suggested a bit more capacity over my weight.

Seasalt: Yep, I have estimates for both Road runner and Tuff, both in the $12-13K range (both estimates include the upgrades that I listed for the Load Rite). Both from dealers here in the Seattle area.

Thanks again for all of your input. Dave.
I think you’d be ok with the 6,300 lb weight capacity as well. And yes, save the $1k, buy some pole guides and install them yourself. That would put you at $9,360 and you’re still saving almost $4k as opposed to the other trailer. Ultimately a trailer that’s a bit overkill is never a terrible idea, though obviously it’s your decision with what you should go with and how much you want to spend. I’d personally go with the LoadRite trailer, save the $4k and call it a day. But that’s just me of course, good luck with whatever you decide on doing.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
In that case, you will need to pony up. I don't think you'll find a them at a better price.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it’s worth….I fundamentally don’t like Load Rite because (a) they use Knott axles and brakes which are not compatible with Kodiak and (b) they use an aluminum I beam with galvanized crossmembers, which to me adds weight, rusts from the inside out, and if not properly isolated will cause galvanic corrosion.

You don’t need a 7K capacity trailer. You need a 7K GVW trailer. The next step up is going to be an 8600 capacity 10400 GVW trailer which will have two 5200 lb axles.

I would make a phone call to Loadmaster (813-689-3091) ask for Fred and have him quote you one. My guess is 8K plus shipping for a loaded out 22-24 7K GVW trailer with torsion, SS, EOH, etc. I would also call Float On at 772-569-4440. Ask for Tamra. She can quote you what you need.

There are other good options, but those two will also be able to guide you on shipping to the west coast, and both of them will be around for support if you need it.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks Parthery, I will contact them tomorrow. Though we are leaning toward the Load Rite we are not purchasing for a month because we have a 2 week vacation we are leaving for soon. In the meantime I will continue to research. I hate spending 10K+ for a trailer, but since we are doing it, want it done right. Dave.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
you should be able to get a set of the pvc "goal posts" for $100. no need to pay 10x for the same thing unless you want to throw money away

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The guide poles come with Load Rite (or Loadmaster or Float On for that matter). I think the OP wants wood bunks instead of guide poles.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The guide poles come with Load Rite (or Loadmaster or Float On for that matter). I think the OP wants wood bunks instead of guide poles.
Yup. BTW Parthery, I contacted both Loadmaster and Float On:

Loadmaster: Spoke to Fred as instructed, Exactly what I wanted and more for $8,600. Problem is, shipping to WA using their guy is $6K ($2/mile). Looked it to Loadmaster a bit, sound like great Trailers, too bad. Might be able to find cheaper shipping but likely not less than 3-4K. Gas is still 5 bucks a gallon+ out west.

Float On: Spoke to Tamra, a couple of grand cheaper than a comparable trailer in WA, but with shipping, I am in the same ballpark. BUT: They are opening a plant in Oregon (Geography lesson: The state below me) so she is seeing if they will build it there so I can pick up.

I am sure ya'll are tired of this damn trailer thread, but I sure appreciate the help. Funny, in 20 years of owning boats I have never had to give trailers a second thought. Learned more in the last 2 weeks than in the previous 20 years. Dave.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Interesting news about Float On and Oregon. They will kill it out there. In fact it’s almost surprising that someone else from the East Coast hasn’t entered the market out there.
As KYGrady mentioned, do you know anyone else who needs a trailer? I’m guessing the freight is the same for one or two since they are stacked. Cut your freight bill on half….

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i get that, but the guide bunks on the side of the hull do the same thing as the pvc poles. you just pay 10x more. infact, the poles are nice because they stay above the water line and provide a visual of where the trailer is and how deep you are