Trailer opinions please...

Coastboater

Reaction score
To add to Ekea’s post, the pvc guides help see the trailer when retrieving the boat and backing the trailer when it’s empty.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
There is no way guides are $1k.
That's exactly what I paid but they aren't pvc pipes. They are 3x galvanized square tubes with C channel uprights and 2x6 felted bunks. I can come in cock eyed to the trailer and they will straighten out the boat and will not let me scrape my bottom on the fenders.

Complete game changer for me, in wind and surge I can still drive my boat on to the trailer. Worth the $1K. Well built, got them from Pacific Trailer.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's exactly what I paid but they aren't pvc pipes. They are 3x galvanized square tubes with C channel uprights and 2x6 felted bunks. I can come in cock eyed to the trailer and they will straighten out the boat and will not let me scrape my bottom on the fenders.

Complete game changer for me, in wind and surge I can still drive my boat on to the trailer. Worth the $1K. Well built, got them from Pacific Trailer.
Exactly this. Especially when using a ramp without a dock they are a godsend. Funny though, every manufacturer charges about $1k for them (1 exception) The most expensive ones that I could find to install yourself was about $250, so that is the way to go, though I have yet to find them for an I-beam (separate from the Dealer). Also not too tough to fabricate yourself which I am also considering - I have a good Metal shop just down the road - and I can spec them exactly how I want them.

And yes, I also see the unique advantage of the poles, though have never had them on any Trailer, for over kill maybe I'll do both.

Update: I am down to 3: The Load Rite (Not impressed with the Rep who was unaware of all the models that were available), Tuff (local) and Loadmaster out of Florida - Which is where I am leaning - Still figuring shipping but it looks like I can make it happen for under $4K which puts me in a very nice trailer where the total price is in the ballpark of the others - kinda, the Load Rite is still $2k or so cheaper.

Thanks all, Dave.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Exactly this. Especially when using a ramp without a dock they are a godsend. Funny though, every manufacturer charges about $1k for them (1 exception) The most expensive ones that I could find to install yourself was about $250, so that is the way to go.
At least the ones I have from Pacific Trailer are quite stout. I looked at the DIY ones from Amazon etc, and they were flimsy. My guide ons straighten out my ~3 ton boat just fine. That's asking a lot of 4+ foot upright that is supported from the bottom only.

I think you get what you pay for, even though I agree, you are paying a premium but part of what you are paying for is they figured out how to make them work. Cheap flimsy junk is just a waste of money, if you go that route, might as well just do the PVC things for sight only.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
At least the ones I have from Pacific Trailer are quite stout. I looked at the DIY ones from Amazon etc, and they were flimsy. My guide ons straighten out my ~3 ton boat just fine. That's asking a lot of 4+ foot upright that is supported from the bottom only.

I think you get what you pay for, even though I agree, you are paying a premium but part of what you are paying for is they figured out how to make them work. Cheap flimsy junk is just a waste of money, if you go that route, might as well just do the PVC things for sight only.
Yeah, I just looked at their site, they look very solid. Says clearly not for I-beams, though could be outdated, I'll call them tomorrow.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Exactly this. Especially when using a ramp without a dock they are a godsend. Funny though, every manufacturer charges about $1k for them (1 exception) The most expensive ones that I could find to install yourself was about $250, so that is the way to go, though I have yet to find them for an I-beam (separate from the Dealer). Also not too tough to fabricate yourself which I am also considering - I have a good Metal shop just down the road - and I can spec them exactly how I want them.

And yes, I also see the unique advantage of the poles, though have never had them on any Trailer, for over kill maybe I'll do both.

Update: I am down to 3: The Load Rite (Not impressed with the Rep who was unaware of all the models that were available), Tuff (local) and Loadmaster out of Florida - Which is where I am leaning - Still figuring shipping but it looks like I can make it happen for under $4K which puts me in a very nice trailer where the total price is in the ballpark of the others - kinda, the Load Rite is still $2k or so cheaper.

Thanks all, Dave.
One other thing Loadmaster will do is build that 22-24 trailer on 6.5” I beam. LoadRite uses the smaller 5.5” I beam. Not sure about Tuff. Bigger I beams will provide some additional sturdiness.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase

the metal structure extends a couple feet up the PVC so you still have some strength, its not only PVC in the vertical part. i have come in a bit crooked as well and been guided back with no issue

hell, for $1k, i could buy two PVC pole kits, throw away the pvc, buy some marine grade 2x6, carpet and some hardware to make the "guide bunks" and still put 100+ gallons in my tank

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am in Tofino BC for a couple of weeks, gonna pull the trigger a week or 2 after we return. BTW, quick fish story: We booked a charter trip since we couldn't take our boat, hit our limits of 20lb Chinook and were fishing rockfish and my buddy hooked in to a 70LB Hali - 2 inches too long, had to go back... Heart breaking...

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey all, here is the belated follow up: We went with Tuff Trailer, Custom aluminum out of Ferndale, WA. It was about $1,500 more than the Load Rite with comparable options, couldn't be happier, 7k capacity, smooth as silk behind the Tundra, $13K out the door. Thanks for everyone's input on this, appreciated. Pic:IMG_0280.jpeg

Reactions: seasalt

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Congratulations on the trailer.
Do you have a tie down point for your bow?

seasick

Reaction score
Very nice. One issue perhaps; I do not see a safety chain from the winch station to the bow eye. You shuld always have one just incase the winch clutch or strap lets go.