Trailer Winch strap Orientation on 208 Adventurer?

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
New owner of 1996 Adventurer. Purchased the boat and the winch strap is coming from the underside of the winch. To me, it seems it would be in a better position if the strap came from the top side of the winch. Can anybody shed some light if this orientation is correct? If it is not correct, do you think I can just re-wrap the strap in the opposing direction? Would there be any problem fixing this while boat is still on trailer?
Thank you in advance! Pictures below of my winch orientation.

Attachments

• IMG_7343.JPG
    IMG_7343.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7344.JPG
    IMG_7344.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks correct to me....only thing I might do, if you can, is to raise the winch stand a bit so you get a straight pull.

That appears to be one of those kooky Pacific Trailers winch stands....never understood why they mount them upside down like that.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Is that a Pacific trailer?? Looks like their setup. You can re-wrap the strap while it's on the trailer, no problem. Be a better pull being straight in.

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Looks correct to me....only thing I might do, if you can, is to raise the winch stand a bit so you get a straight pull.

That appears to be one of those kooky Pacific Trailers winch stands....never understood why they mount them upside down like that.
Thank you for the input. Instead of raising the stand, cant I just re-wrap the strap so it pulls from the top side of the winch gear?

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Is that a Pacific trailer?? Looks like their setup. You can re-wrap the strap while it's on the trailer, no problem. Be a better pull being straight in.
Yes it is a pacific trailer

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you for the input. Instead of raising the stand, cant I just re-wrap the strap so it pulls from the top side of the winch gear?

Yes. Don't raise stand, keep bow eye tucked under roller.

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just to clarify, please see attached photo. If I just wrap the strap opposite direction it would be a much more straight line to the eye loop. Would this be the best option?

Attachments

• IMG_7344.jpg
    IMG_7344.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 3

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pacific Trailer mounts the winch in this strange position assuming that your hull has a bow pulpit.

Reactions: handinpalm

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As mentioned, re-wrapping it while on the trailer so it comes over the top is the way to do it and certainly there's no issues doing it while the boat is still on the trailer - that's totally fine.

One note... you may not get it totally tight around the drum at first. Just keep winding and winding to tighten it up. And then wind some more. You'll see what I mean once you start. Even then, it may not get fully tight until you have the strap fed out while winding the boat back on the trailer.

Reactions: Oceangeek

Oceangeek

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
That makes sense and something I was worrying about. Last thing I want to do is have a loose wrap and then driving to the launch ramp the boat starts slipping because of the slack. I will try to keep it as tightly wrapped as I possibly can. May even drive it around the block a couple of times and then trying to crank it some more.
Good tips Thank you!

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have a 20 year old Trail Rite trailer, made in Santa Ana CA, set up the same way. Looks like I will have flip over my strap as well. I was never able to winch in that last inch, I wonder if this flip will help.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
FWIW, this is my setup. Strap comes from the top of the winch.

1602180568338.png

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you reverse it, does the winch have a pawl that will allow it to retrieve when the handle is cranked the other way? Otherwise, your cranking will be letting the strap out, not retrieving it.

seasick

Reaction score
The strap looks fine. Tthe real determination of position is how the pulling force direction relates to the 'neutral' stance of the hull on the trailer. For example, if you loosen the strap does the keel of the boat up front start to lower, stay in place or rise. You want as little lifting force as is practical. The force direction of the strap should be in the same direction as forward motion of the hull when cranked up to the bumpers.
Note that some down force may be advantageous if the front of the boat tends to bob up and down when the boat is towed That will hold the keel against the supports.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think for the ratchet pawl to work properly, you will need to unbolt the winch from the stand and spin it around, which puts the crank on the other side. Then wind the strap on over the top.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
SD, it's good you're adjusting things. The bow eye should be touching the bottom of the bow roller to "lock" the bow in. Possibly reversing the wrap will do it - or lowering the winch stand. But getting the bow eye snugged up against the bow roller is always recommended and keeps the bow from bouncing as you don't want to rely on the strap to do that.

Looking at your pic again - I would probably lower the stand and then reverse the strap. As mentioned above, the pawl may be reversible - or it might already be a double ended pawl. But you already know that answer to that!

Eric, it looks like you should lower your winch stand, as well.