Transom Rebuild - The Saga Begins

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Still in the queue (not happy about that). I made some noise to get the process going. Bang plate was removed and the joint actually looks pretty good.
I didn't have to sign anything yet and GW is in the loop. Will keep folks posted.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
Do you have a photo of your joint? Here's what mine looked like. I had no bulging around the cap, just lots of corrosion.

IMG_20210320_111930.jpg

Sdfish

Reaction score
Just wanted to add the pics from my transom cap before and after. We could start to gather a pretty good data set on this to help others.

There was a noticeable bulge on mine, it may look like they over tightened the engine bracket. Not sure.

I just used thickened epoxy to cover the gap and then used a stainless bang plate to finish it up.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: efx

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
That’s a good sign (no bulging). Did you put a meter on it ? You gonna glass it or just replace the aluminum?
A surveyor measured low moisture in June when I bought the boat.

I had the transom cap glassed over. My pro is reworking the gelcoat color match a bit but you can see below how it now looks functionally.

It was $500 to R&I the engine. I could have replaced the aluminum piece with the vinyl part Grady uses today for no extra - they were willing to send it to me as a customer goodwill warranty claim. Or I could have a stainless steel piece custom made for $400 extra. I chose to have it glassed permanently for $1000 extra.

PXL_20210403_190707069.jpg

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
That looks great !
boggles the mind as to why it’s not finished like that in the first place.

Reactions: mr_mbuna