Transom Rebuild - The Saga Begins

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I did not contact my insurance co. I would have if it were due to an accident, but just like your car breaking down I don't think insurance covers a defect. I have notified GW and presented my case. Hoping they will stand behind it. We'll see.

You may want to check your policy. Many insurance policy's will cover a manufacturer defect. It will just fall on you to prove it. Now I'm not a lawyer but if Grady steps up to offer assistance, that should prove the manufacturer defect part. Grady may cover the cost of materials, but the labor will be on you. In that case, you may get insurance to cover a percentage of it. With the cost of the repair for a transom I would definitely be on the phone with my insurance agent, nothing to loose.

Last edited:

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would suggest checkin with your insurance company as well as it’s water damage just like a roof on an RV and I know from experience that RV water damage is covered by some policies.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Worth a shot. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Have a request to both GW and my insurance agent on this to see if either will help with repair coverage. Motors are off and boat is finally at the glass shop. Hopefully work starts shortly...

Reactions: leeccoll

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Any news on the transom from the glass shop?

Fishtales

Reaction score
It's at the glass shop in the yard in the queue. The surveyor for the insurance co will be looking at it this week. Been kinda slow to this point, but once it gets in one of the bays for work I think the pace will pick up quickly.

Reactions: igblack87

Fishtales

Reaction score
Boat inspected by a surveyor from my insurance co. Looks like the findings are not caused by accident and happened over time due to construction methods and using sealant under the bang plate which opened up over the years and allowed water in. Waiting the report and position from the insurance co but believe it will not be covered. Waiting on input from GW as well and will forward ins co report to them for review. Still waiting for work to start.

On another front, I ordered a Llebroc Marlin seat (slider and fixed pedestal as well) to go with the bolster, aft and companion seat re-foam and cover. Hopefully the boat looks great when done in the cockpit, helm and transom angles!

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As I understand it Grady offers a 5 year warranty on the hull. I would seriously doubt they will step up with anything.

They also will be VEEEEEERY careful about offering any repair advice because they assume some degree of liability if they get involved and something fails. They won't want to be associated with any work done by an outside source.

Good luck Fishtales...I hope it all works out without too much pain. $$$

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I would like to think GW will come to the party or at the very least contribute to the repair. This is a manufacturing fault not normal wear and tear and a normal person would expect a very high end priced boat to last longer than 15 years.
Good luck with it.

Reactions: leeccoll

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I could see GW stepping up for the original owner, but unfortunately not a chance there after. If they did, the line would get long in a hurry.

HMBJack

Reaction score
They might (?) cover a bit of it and ask you to sign an NDA. Regardless, you are doing the right thing. I'm thinking the expansion and contraction of freezing water/ice contributed to the issue. I bet all Gradys (and other brands) over 10 years old with wood transoms are wet to some degree. Whether it is a structural issue depends on many factors I guess. I observe very few where the engine falls off or the transom cracks to a major major extent.

georgemjr

Reaction score
My friend n Florida has the same issue with a lift kept boat. Freezing is not the issue. A poor design and workmanship in that area is the problem.

GEII

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Since he bought the boat new, I would think they would help with possibly some of the materials costs. I remember some old threads where others had mentioned that.