Transom transducer on Tournament 197

84grady197

Hi all,

begining a few winter projects on my tournament this winter. First order of business is mounting a ray marine 3D scan transducer.I have a kicker plate on port and a swim platform on starboard. It has an Alpha drive.
I have read and read, and read some more. Preference seems to be on the starboard due to prop rotation. I’m fine with this however don’t want anyone kicking it while climbing up on the swim platform. Would port, as close to centreline as possible be an option?
Would also like to mount a transducer mounting plate. So for future upgrades, additions and adjustments I won’t have to drill more holes. 5200 and the two screws? How thick is the transom down there roughly? I certainly don’t want to do this twice.

thanks in advance!E5D66349-B9D5-4C5F-BD7D-56C2384DD8AA.jpeg

Sdfish

Hi - I have GW 208 with an outboard, so I can't comment on location for your setup. But, I did mount my Garmin transducer on "Stern Saver". Basically, a piece of starboard that is mechanically attached to the transom with an epoxy. Had it on there over a year, 130 hours of run time and no issues.

84grady197

Hi - I have GW 208 with an outboard, so I can't comment on location for your setup. But, I did mount my Garmin transducer on "Stern Saver". Basically, a piece of starboard that is mechanically attached to the transom with an epoxy. Had it on there over a year, 130 hours of run time and no issues.

Great to hear it’s still on! You obviously did a good job on the install. I may try sourcing one of those. All I know is this 3D transducer is like 3 times the size of my old hummingbird one. Hopefully it works well for the size and weight of it!

Lt.Mike

That’s an amazingly clean transom, I can understand your not wanting to bugger it up.
The present transducer location on my 204C is starboard and works well. Actually all of my boats had them on that side.
Seems kinda odd seeing a transom without a transducer. I can’t imagine running without a depthfinder. I’ve got plans to replace what
I have with a Lowrance side scan unit and am wondering where to mount it’s long transducer so the lower unit doesn’t block the signal.
I’m thinking lower than where it is now. For a non side scan transducer this would be where I’d put it.
DF6CC5B8-A532-4805-AD57-A0E403B32E01.jpeg

Sdfish

Pictures of my location, not the best angle, but hopefully helpful. The original transducer was mounted further outboard on my boat, I moved it inboard and it works great. Not sure how a sterndrive would impact location.

Attachments

• stern saver.jpg
    stern saver.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • stern 2.jpg
    stern 2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 1

84grady197

Thanks guys. Pictures are sure worth 1000 words. Nice set ups. Thanks LT. mike, it is clean except for the owner previous to the one I bought it from obviously had a unit installed port side. If you look closely they have been filled in. Quite well I might say but filled in none the less. And that cap is actually covering a 2” through hull hole that was obviously used for a previous kicker set up. (I still might). I’m leaning towards starboard, as close to centreline as possible. Won’t be able to truly water test it now until spring. Hopefully I get things close and I’ll still just small adjustments. Sdfish, how is your gt 51 on plane?

Sdfish

84- you will need more than a flat piece of starboard, the stern save, comes with 4 holes in the back and center tack to mount to the transom. Not positive, but the center tak was set with 3m tak and the were filled with their epoxy and attached. Try looking up the install videos on youtube and you will see what I am talking about.
The transducer is fine on plane, I have not had any issues with. After messing with it for some time, I just use the factory settings and it picks up fish great. Still trying to figure the side scan stiff out, I don't use that much since I am offshore all the time.
Connecting the NMEA network from the Garmin unit to the Yamaha F150 was the best thing I ever did. I am amazed how accurate the fuel usage is, it is never off more than 1/2 a gallon when I fill the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_9081.JPG
    IMG_9081.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6581.JPG
    IMG_6581.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

84grady197

84- you will need more than a flat piece of starboard, the stern save, comes with 4 holes in the back and center tack to mount to the transom. Not positive, but the center tak was set with 3m tak and the were filled with their epoxy and attached. Try looking up the install videos on youtube and you will see what I am talking about.
The transducer is fine on plane, I have not had any issues with. After messing with it for some time, I just use the factory settings and it picks up fish great. Still trying to figure the side scan stiff out, I don't use that much since I am offshore all the time.
Connecting the NMEA network from the Garmin unit to the Yamaha F150 was the best thing I ever did. I am amazed how accurate the fuel usage is, it is never off more than 1/2 a gallon when I fill the tank.

oh yes I meant starboard side for install. I realize if I will be doing the glue on I will need the actual stern saver. They do look like they work! Unfortunately I think the nmea2000 connectivity is out for me as the motor is a 91? But that would be so slick!