Update on cabin rod-racks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Bill, picture of Sailfish is cool !
I vote to leave it! Sorry Brian.

Seen worse than Irene on LI, good riddance to her!

Weather here is clear thru week and holiday ending summer, breaks my heart every year!
Silt should clear seas in a fews days, back to fluking and bass, or bust !

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks bob, I like that photo too. She looks a little different now, with the new 24" hd radar; moved the spotlight, and she's bottom painted, slipped at my dock (no lift).

RobertH, I traced the rod-rack patterns, added a few potential places to mod them for newer Sailfish installations, and mailed them today.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt Bill, you are the man! Thanks so much for your help on this!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
CaptBill, got the envelope safe and sound.

These racks are big! :jaw But should not be a problem for fitup. I held them up to cabin wall and looks like no issue for fitup.

Sure wish someone still had the pics available to get a good eye on placement and details.....

I re-read this post and seems that the aluminum angle bracket is made to attach to side of starboard, then drill through the alum. angle through the cabin wall to exterior, then bolt it on via the bracket and not try to figure out how to run a screw in from the outside directly into the starboard. I think I understand the purpose of the alum. angle now.

For the bungies, how do you attach them? I see the small groove, but not clear on how to secure them over the rods?

gw204/t bird, still have those pics laying around that seem to have disappeared from the posts? Anyone? Pic is worth a thousand words. :wink:

gw204

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
I re-read this post and seems that the aluminum angle bracket is made to attach to side of starboard, then drill through the alum. angle through the cabin wall to exterior, then bolt it on via the bracket and not try to figure out how to run a screw in from the outside directly into the starboard. I think I understand the purpose of the alum. angle now.

Exactly! :)

These might help you figure out the placement. Look carefully because there are two angle brackets for each rod rack. The top one for the aft rack is above the window if I remember correctly.

Cabin007.jpg

Cabin006.jpg

t bird

Reaction score
sorry, no can do on the pictures until mid sept....after next week...
i'm at work.....and i think those pictures are home...
i work offshore off the coast of africa....
T

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You guys are great!

Thanks for the feedback TBird. If you get the chance when you return, would love to see any pics you have. I really don't want to mess something up! Always fighting murphy!

GW204, now I get it on the brackets and better idea on placement. Kinda what I guessed in regards the the bracket over window is very near and maybe just rearward of the center beam so it is not in the way of sliding the window open/closed.

Thanks for the pics as it helps tremendously. Now for a pic of the actual brackets would be excellent.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Someone PM me their email address and I'll take photos of the OEM installation on my boat over weekend as long as you post them for others. The OEMs fold flat against the cabin wall as long as you add the cut and hinges, or can be left out bolted to the brackets Brian shows.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi BobP, you can send to me. I will PM you. Also, I have another PM sent to you earlier on another subject.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
RobertH sent me his email address to email photos from my boat- he can post them here.
I have been away from site a white.

I can't read the above photobuckets

The boat is 100 miles east of home and it looks like a near total washout for Sept Long Island weekend fishing, so not this weekend but last weekend of Sept I'll be out there and photo up fingers crossed on weather.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
BobP was kind enough to send me pics of the Rod Holders. They look great and it really helps to see the details! Thanks again Bob!

Attachments

• ROD RACKS BOB PIC 1.JPG
    ROD RACKS BOB PIC 1.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 5,307
  • ROD RACKS BOB PIC 2.JPG
    ROD RACKS BOB PIC 2.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 5,305

richie rich

Reaction score
so were looking at a 6 rod set up per side?.....thats pretty good

How did you screw the holders into the side of the boat?,......what depth screw did you use?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The first rack is about 27 inches from the cabin bulkhead, and the two are about 52 inches apart.
They fold toward eachother when not in use. So when open and bungeed down to rods stays put from swinging. I don't have the original bungee setup on mine hence the other holes or slots shown.

There are machine bolts oval head with gromets thru the cabin wall with the heads outside and nuts inside. You can see the nuts inside. The angle is right against the monkey fur, caulk bolt heads.
The upper mount on the rear rack up high is behind the A/C panel, but the same angle is up there.
The bolks are the same size used on the cabin bulkhead mount to the wall, same angle too.

It's a straight forward installation and doesn't interfere with the use of the cabin even on overnights, I always leave it open except off season when boat is cleaned out.

For other models where the cabin is narrower I see no reason why 1/2 of the rack can't be loped off and use it for 3 rods instead of 6. Th rear rack may need some adjutsment because it is designed to span the window height as you can see.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just found this thread, are still available to purchase? I have a 2001 sailfish. This thread is so old I can't even see the pictures of what it looks like!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just found this thread, are still available to purchase? I have a 2001 sailfish. This thread is so old I can't even see the pictures of what it looks like!

I replied to your message, but will repeat here JIC I messed something up.
Hello Mike,
You're sure right about that being a long time ago. I'm not sure how long ago, but I'd say 10 or 12 years. I have long since lost my guy that had the CNC router, where they were precision cut to a paper template, traced from factory cabin rod-racks.

Brian, a member of this forum who has a STICKY thread about replicating non-skid, traced them for me, from my old 252 Sailfish that he bought.

But at this point, I would suggest a WTB listing on the classifieds, and maybe some ebay searches, etc.

I think I have a photo on an album I attempted to create, but I'm not familiar with the procedure and I'm not so sure I succeeded.