Update on engines....back to the drawing board lol

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It had shrinkage from the cold water? ;)

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No worries - I just found the malapropism funny. I'm going to go take a leak. Back in an hour.... :cool:

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Interesting tidbit....the port engine has a trim button. The starboard, not so much.

it’s a start heh.

Tried to update the Garmin plotter too...no can do.

Tried to get it to read the maps from the card did not like that either. Will be here tomorrow so will call Garmin support.

R

Attachments

• F742939B-5293-431F-B2FB-9E4ABB3991E0.jpeg
    F742939B-5293-431F-B2FB-9E4ABB3991E0.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 21
  • 25B1FC90-8400-45A7-B3BA-7811EA129DF6.jpeg
    25B1FC90-8400-45A7-B3BA-7811EA129DF6.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 22

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like you have all the makings of a switch there, except for the plastic rocker. At least you’ll have all the wiring inside. Did you try pushing on those rubber boots, and see if anything happened? easy plug-and-play replacement for the switch.

Punch53

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit....the port engine has a trim button. The starboard, not so much.

it’s a start heh.

Tried to update the Garmin plotter too...no can do.

Tried to get it to read the maps from the card did not like that either. Will be here tomorrow so will call Garmin support.

R
You first have to format the SD card in the Garmin machine. Then load the charts and the machine will recognize them. The SD card will only work in your machine as it is coded by the formatting.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Exactly what glacier said. That's an old switch with the rocker snapped off. Very simple swap for a new one.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That broken switch may work. Just slide that button up or down to activate the switch. That's all the rocker cover does.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You first have to format the SD card in the Garmin machine. Then load the charts and the machine will recognize them. The SD card will only work in your machine as it is coded by the formatting.

Already did that. Will see what Garmin says.

Agreed about the switch, should be an easy fix.

R

seasick

Reaction score
This post it way too ling, I don't remember where the chip question popped up:)
What is the plotter model and what are you trying to update; The firmware or the maps? The firmware is simpler to update in general. Note that depending on the model and therefore its age, it may need a smaller storage capacity chip than is the norm today. I know this from updating an older Garmin LMS unit. It can't read any chip larger than 1Gb and good luck finding one of those in a store. I managed to find a friend who had one stored away ( he keeps everything) and once I loaded the update on it, the plotter updated without a problem.
Maps are a whole other story. In general, you can not copy map data from a chip to a blank chip. The manufacturer puts special code in the chip that tells the plotter that the chip is legit. For apps like Navionics, on my Lowrance equipment you can update the maps but only by using a legitimate original map chip. For some updates you need to tell the chip what make and model the target plotter is What I don't know is if that chip will only run on that model and/or if the model type can be changed if a different plotter is used. You also can't update maps without a subscription of an account set up for the initial map load that has a free update period.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You need a Yamaha Hot Tub!
Or try some pieces of tape over the various drain holes in the lower unit. That might keep enough water in to let it pump.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry Seasick, went off on a different tangent about Garmin... heh

On the engines, I tried to put weedeater line up the tube. I got it about 2ft into each, then blocked. My guess, it was trying to turn a corner is all.

Plan to add the tub under the engine this weekend.

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry... quick side-chat... update.

Just got off the phone with Garmin. While I was waiting for them to answer, I started up Garmin Express and set up my SD card again. They gave me the wrong updates the other day. As soon as I started explaining the issue to her and we opened Garmin Express, I was like, "wait a sec.. there were 5 options the other day, now there are three..what gives?" and lo and behold, she stated that when I contacted them via chat the day before yesterday, someone removed the wrong ones and added the correct ones.... yet they never told me.. go figure. I was told to use the SD card...which did not work either.

So, downloading the new maps.. will know when they are done, but betting they work.

Always pays to call vs chat ;)

R

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Well, it sees the maps now, but turns out even if you talk to Garmin on the phone, they will tell you it will update unless you specifically ask them about the error and then “just leave it in the slot”.

I made it an active captain card so only using one slot, but still annoying...it is not an update, if it does not overwrite.

eh, is what it is.

on to the next issues heh

seasick

Reaction score
What maps did the unit originally come with? It is standard as far as I know to require the chip to stay in the slot. The base maps in the plotter I know do not get updated. Only the operating system, firmware is updatable.
The reason is simple. If you could update maps from a chip, you could update a bunch of plotters with the same chip. Of course, the manufacturer wants yo to buy a separate chip for every unit (Including your buddy's)

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
@seasick - you are right. The system came with "built-in maps" but the only way these work are if they are on the SD card. They now "work" but my issue is (and it will not get resolved.. heh.. just where I see a problem here).... in any other firmware or software, I should be able to to do an actual "update"..I get swapping cards etc... but they can find a way to get around that by simply tying the software into the hardware.

Now, will they? No... this has been an issue for years, and my complaining will not change that.

What my real issue is, in a Lowrance, I could select the maps I wanted to use. On here, I see the maps are listed now, under software information, but I have no idea if the maps being displayed are the built-in or new ones on the SD card. I cannot go to preferences and select which maps to use.

Is it a big deal? Nah, because maps are really just "extra" to me...i.e. I use them as a guide, not as auto pilot etc...but, just confusing to see I have the old maps on the system, and the new ones, and it does not tell me which is being used, hence why I have an issue with them being called an "update" heh.... just the tech guy in me is all... but, supposedly, they work....i.e. they show up in the list, and no error.

Will be testing the engines and water pumps today.

Russ

Punch53

Reaction score
Russ, the update is too big for the internal memory of the unit. I keep my sd card plugged in and it works fine. There are many other units out there that also require cards to function so it's not all that un-common.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Russ, the update is too big for the internal memory of the unit. I keep my sd card plugged in and it works fine. There are many other units out there that also require cards to function so it's not all that un-common.

Agreed. I also combined the Garmin active card with the maps, so only uses one slot, the other is left open for me to use for whatever. I also made a backup, just in case the sd card goes bad, so it can be swapped out.

For others to note, if you download the maps, you can let Garmin make it an active card and it does not format the card or overwrite the maps...heh,.... I tested that :p

Russ