Updating 1988 242G

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
After almost 4 decades it's a moot point, now. Things could have been changed many times. If you're curious if you have a second tank or a fresh water tank - you'll need to pull hatches to check.

EDIT: Was there something more to this? Or an underlying reason you wanted to know?

I was just reading another thread about a guy with an offshore and he was commenting about his aux tank. I've read different information on various websites about this model, some stating it had 2 tanks, other saying it had 93 (or 96, can't remember) gallon fuel capacity. I guess to answer your question, I just want to know what I have under my feet. I'll be able to answer my own question soon enough since I need to recore the hatch anyway over the winter. Is the fill for the fresh water tank on the starboard side near the fuel fill? That's the location of the fill that was glassed over on my boat.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was just reading another thread about a guy with an offshore and he was commenting about his aux tank. I've read different information on various websites about this model, some stating it had 2 tanks, other saying it had 93 (or 96, can't remember) gallon fuel capacity. I guess to answer your question, I just want to know what I have under my feet. I'll be able to answer my own question soon enough since I need to recore the hatch anyway over the winter. Is the fill for the fresh water tank on the starboard side near the fuel fill? That's the location of the fill that was glassed over on my boat.
Per the brochure, the standard fuel tank on a 242 was a 93 gallon aluminum tank but there was also an optional 55 gallon auxiliary fuel tank as well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, got it. One tank would be standard.

Do you have any fresh water faucets on the boat (or sings of where it would have been)? It doesn't matter if they work right now - but if you DON'T have any fresh water faucets then that glassed over fill wouldn't be for a fresh water tank.

Does the brochure from your model year say anything about what kind (or location) of fresh water tank was an option?

Either way, we're just kinda guessing at this point - as we both noted, you'll know for sure once you look.

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I do have a nonfunctioning fresh water faucet under the port side gunwale near the stern. If the freshwater tank has been removed and the fill was glassed over, that may give me some much needed storage under that panel. May put a big access hatch in there when I re-core it

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I thought the gas tank was under the hatch I highlighted in red. It looks like from the brochure its under the rear panel. May have to put that bigger hatch in the forward panel instead.
1701781467296.png

Reactions: PointedRose

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Haven’t had an opportunity to get out in the past couple of weeks bc of work and the holidays. Had some downtime yesterday and some crappy weather so messed with my wife’s cricut. Came out pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
No offense, but if you could get rid of the decals, and offer the tree silhouettes in the first picture as a decal, you would have something marketable.
Haha, takes more than that to hurt my feelings. That would be badass, but no way I have the patience to create something like that.

In other news, I popped my inspection plates and my gas tank is in fact in the forward hatch that I highlighted in red in my post above. Top of it looked a little sloppy, new tank might be in my near future unfortunately.

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ordered my supplies to re-core the soft panels. Since its still in the 40's/50's here in Maryland, I'm going to go ahead and get rid of the compromised core so i'm ready to go glass when the weather breaks.

Anything I'm missing off this list? Will 1 gallon of resin be enough or is that cutting it close for both panels?

Gloves
roller (for air bubbles)
brush/rollers for applying resin
stir sticks
mixing cups
CSM
fumed silica
marine Plywood
acetone
new inspection plates
1 gallon vinyl ester resin/hardener (going to wait another month or so before I order this due to shelf life)

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Ordered my supplies to re-core the soft panels. Since its still in the 40's/50's here in Maryland, I'm going to go ahead and get rid of the compromised core so i'm ready to go glass when the weather breaks.

Anything I'm missing off this list? Will 1 gallon of resin be enough or is that cutting it close for both panels?

Gloves
roller (for air bubbles)
stir sticks
mixing cups
CSM
fumed silica
marine Plywood
acetone
new inspection plates
1 gallon vinyl ester resin/hardener (going to wait another month or so before I order this due to shelf life)
Respirator

Reactions: Captglasshole

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yep, I already own one, so didn't add it to the order list. Good lookin' out!

Reactions: igblack87

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore

Gloves
roller (for air bubbles)
stir sticks
mixing cups
CSM
fumed silica
marine Plywood
acetone
new inspection plates
Are you sure you don't want to use epoxy resin? I've used poly and epoxy and epoxy is definitely easier to work with... although poly is cheaper. You wouldn't need a respirator with epoxy, either. I've never worked with vinyl ester - although I do think it's quite smelly.

I don't know about the shelf life of vinyl ester - but epoxy is good for a long, long time!

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Cheaper, wets out the cloth better (in my opinion), kicks off faster, and is just about as strong. For this application, I think it will be fine.

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Anyone that has done this before should I use 1/2” or 3/4” ply? My initial thought is 1/2” and I can build it up more with glass if I need it to be thicker to sit right in the deck. But open to suggestions from anyone that’s done it

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
1/2" is plenty fine. A layer of lightweight mat between wood and hatch will take up and small imperfections. One layer of 1708 over the top is all that's needed.

You shouldn't be doing anythign that would affect how the hatch sits down on the deck. The core has nothing to do with that.

If epoxy is used, you have to use epoxy-friendly glass otherwise the binding strands don't melt away. I'm sure vinyl will be just fine, though - I wasn't say don't use it - just was curious as to why you were using it as it's not something that most DIY'rs use.

FYI, there's a bunch of threads on here (and other places) where a number of us have posted more info if you wanted to read up. But it's pretty much the same thing - just being said over and over :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Captglasshole

Captglasshole

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
1/2" is plenty fine. A layer of lightweight mat between wood and hatch will take up and small imperfections. One layer of 1708 over the top is all that's needed.

You shouldn't be doing anythign that would affect how the hatch sits down on the deck. The core has nothing to do with that.

If epoxy is used, you have to use epoxy-friendly glass otherwise the binding strands don't melt away. I'm sure vinyl will be just fine, though - I wasn't say don't use it - just was curious as to why you were using it as it's not something that most DIY'rs use.

FYI, there's a bunch of threads on here (and other places) where a number of us have posted more info if you wanted to read up. But it's pretty much the same thing - just being said over and over :)
If I came off as condescending I apologize, wasn’t my intention. I tend to over think and over research projects before I go balls deep in them. Another reason for going vinyl ester is because (like you suggested) I’m putting down a layer of CSM first before the core. From what I’ve read epoxy doesn’t work well with mat hence the VE.

I’ve read a bunch of threads here and on THT and watched countless videos on YouTube university so hopefully I can plan my work and work my plan with success.

Do you think a gallon of resin is enough for two panels?