Upgrade outboards

Seapro2

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I have a 1990 25’ Sailfish with the original twin 200hp Yamaha motors. I’m looking at upgrading to new 4 stroke Mercury 200HP Seapro’s. I’m concerned about the weight on the transom. I believe the current motors are 429lbs each and the new Mercury’s are 529lbs each. is that too much of an increase? I’ve reachered other motors and everything I’ve seen is increased in weight.

The other concern is putting 40k into a 33 year old boat.

I would appreciate all thoughts and thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
Run your Yamis until they die or become unreliable and then decide whether or not to repower.

The extra 200 pounds can cause issues. To get an idea of the impact, see how the boat sits with you at the helm and one big person aft center or two smaller people aft, one on each side.
The passengers have to be as far aft as is practical to simulate the effect of the additional weight. The biggest issue is usually that the scuppers may sit lower or even below the water line.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The new Mercs are the lightest 4 stroke out there. Their 200 is a v6 and lighter than the Yammie and Zuke i4. I thought they were under 500lbs.
I don't see the weight as an unfixable problem.

33 year old boat and $40k...makes you think. Depends on if the boat is really nice, already has the electronics you want and exactly what you want for the next 10 years.

You are at a crossroad my friend.

Seapro2

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Tha
Run your Yamis until they die or become unreliable and then decide whether or not to repower.

The extra 200 pounds can cause issues. To get an idea of the impact, see how the boat sits with you at the helm and one big person aft center or two smaller people aft, one on each side.
The passengers have to be as far aft as is practical to simulate the effect of the additional weight. The biggest issue is usually that the scuppers may sit lower or even below the water line.
Thank you for the response.

I’m having troubles with one of the engines and I’ve been through 2 mechanics over the last 6 months and still no luck. I’m in Northern California and nobody works on 2 strokes especially not that old. I will take your advice and get me and a buddy on the stern and see how the scuppers clear the waterline.

Seapro2

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
The new Mercs are the lightest 4 stroke out there. Their 200 is a v6 and lighter than the Yammie and Zuke i4. I thought they were under 500lbs.
I don't see the weight as an unfixable problem.

33 year old boat and $40k...makes you think. Depends on if the boat is really nice, already has the electronics you want and exactly what you want for the next 10 years.

You are at a crossroad my friend.
I agree with the crossroad. The boat is in excellent condition and has all the upgrades, new electronics, radar, windlas, isinglass etc. I love the boat and the setup. I’d just hate to spend the 40k and have everything else fall apart.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Lots of considerations.
Where and how hard do you use it? Offshore, inshore, bay, lake?
33 yr old motors in a lake is different than 50 miles offshore.

Transom done? Stringers and deck firm? Does it have a bracket?
What could you sell it for as is, including electronics? What would you pay for it as is?

Have you dreamed of someday going bigger? or smaller?

look around. price things out.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tha

Thank you for the response.

I’m having troubles with one of the engines and I’ve been through 2 mechanics over the last 6 months and still no luck. I’m in Northern California and nobody works on 2 strokes especially not that old. I will take your advice and get me and a buddy on the stern and see how the scuppers clear the waterline.
I don't know where you are in CA, but Shane at H&M Marine is Sausalito is an amazing mechanic.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So I just did that and bought a pair of 250 Suzuki's for my 92 28 Marlin. The way I saw it was if I was to sell my boat as is could I get 50k, prob not but what the heck. Add 45k money for motors and say I find some Ben Franklins under the couch cushions. I walk out my front door with 100k to buy a boat. Well new you are talking about a mid size 24' CC with a single engine and less electronics than I have. Not enough boat to fish the way I want to. Used, yea there are some 20 yr old Marlins that price around that number, but now I have moved up maybe but not the way I want to. Mostly cosmetically better but no guarantee mechanically or structurally better. My boat is set up great to fish, structurally ok but not perfect and with new motors will take me anywhere I want to go. They way I see it better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
yes Doc I agree. It obviously didn't seem smart for me to invest in my old hull but I really always liked the boat. After considering the sizable expenses of doing it over I figured as long as it was solid when I was done it would last along time and would always be enough boat. like you mentioned new boat, new problems potentially, so at least I know every single item has been touched, inspected, replaced and most likely upgraded from original.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Jimmyfiretruck

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I have a 1990 25’ Sailfish with the original twin 200hp Yamaha motors. I’m looking at upgrading to new 4 stroke Mercury 200HP Seapro’s. I’m concerned about the weight on the transom. I believe the current motors are 429lbs each and the new Mercury’s are 529lbs each. is that too much of an increase? I’ve reachered other motors and everything I’ve seen is increased in weight.

The other concern is putting 40k into a 33 year old boat.

I would appreciate all thoughts and thank you.

I’m going to tell you the same thing Grady white is going to tell you - the older Grady’s we’re not designed to have 4 stroke motors mounted on their transoms.
there were already balance problems - the reason for weight bags in the bow, the bracket boats.
You’re not telling if you’ve got a bracket or notched transom - bracket boat, you’re going to need a bracket with a larger displacement tub.notched transom, you may consider getting the transom rebuilt - it may need it anyway.having it rebuilt to either an enclosed bracket set up, or raise the transom height, when rebuilding.
The scuppers will be underwater - aux fuel option, when full will have an even worse effect on this.batteries being moved forward is a requirement - you’re going to want any weight moved forward…
This is a bad situation for a whole lot of people with older boats

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
This is a bad situation for a whole lot of people with older boats....... especially with the demise of the ETECs.

canvasback

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 90 marlin and just took off the 2 strokes and put a pair of 250 verado's and the port side scuppers are only half way under I have 4 batteries on that side I am hoping moving 2 to starboard will take care of it if not i will move all 4 mid

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm repowering and a guy with a mid 90's 25 grady bought my '04 4 strokes complete with rigging, gauges, throttles, key swithces, steering, etc... for 15k. Basically what I'm saying that repowering with new isn't the only option out there.

Check that transome first!