Used Grady White Shopping- 24 ' range Recommendations and Insight

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Good to know...thx HUMM? i will have to look that up in the Grady archive brochure for that year and model....not doubting you but this is an older boat an to tell ya the truth....it is the best boat and price that is real that i have seen in the last couple of months that i have been shopping. Its up in Ventura in a slip...no trailer.
Will let you know what i find out???

thx again
My Bad! You were so right. The boat actually has a single Yamaha 250 2 stroke.

what do you think about that configuration at that price?

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
1996 Gready Wite Voyager $24,000.
Great fishing machine
No time to use it
on the water, NO trailer
Beautiful and very low hours.
Excellent yamaha 250 Vx two stroke engine. Serviced.. many receipts.
Ready for sea trial, it needs a good fishing crew.
if you research grady whites, you will know of its great performance, legendary deep V advantage and time proven power and stability
Can show it on sundays and fridays.
Ready to sell, best offers considered!
NO LOW BALLERS

Attachments

• 050FBEC8-F8B0-4DD8-A08D-428ACF152825.jpeg
    050FBEC8-F8B0-4DD8-A08D-428ACF152825.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 17
  • ED06317A-2C01-4AFA-B8CD-AE081E71E3C1.jpeg
    ED06317A-2C01-4AFA-B8CD-AE081E71E3C1.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 17

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
At a glance that looks like a pretty clean rig. 250 is pretty common power for those I think, I'm sure it'll push it fine (not lightning quick but fine). Really comes down to how much you're willing to pay for an engine that's closing in on its 30th birthday in a few years, how much you care about not having a hardtop, and how much you're bothered by the usual 2-stroke pleasantries such as high fuel consumption and noisy, smoky operation. If those things aren't an issue and there aren't too many hidden demons not shown in the listing it seems like a solid setup to me.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wanted a Voyager 24' but they are hard to find. Cons are that with the euro transom you lose 2' of deck so it's the same fishing/patio room as the Seafarer 22' w/ bracket. For example my Sefarer 228 is longer over all than the voyager. I get a full width swim deck too.

Spent a lot of time on my friends 23' gulfstream as well. Cabin layout is terrible. Was a deal breaker for me. Not sure why Grady did that. Also towing is not fun. My friend hates it even with his dodge 2500. Possible but not fun or legal w/o permit. Also 250 hp fourstroke is not enough. Maybe ok in a 250 2 stroke. His came with twin 130 2S and could only do 25 mph. His new single 350 suzuiki is perfect.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I spent a few trips on a 1999 24 Voyager with twin Honda 130 hp 4 strokes about 5 years ago and it convinced me to upgrade to a 228 Seafarer from my Campion, just an incredible platform. I agree with the crappy cabin layout in the Gulfstream but they are tanks.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I spent a few trips on a 1999 24 Voyager with twin Honda 130 hp 4 strokes about 5 years ago and it convinced me to upgrade to a 228 Seafarer from my Campion, just an incredible platform. I agree with the crappy cabin layout in the Gulfstream but they are tanks.
100% agree, they are tank! Very heavy and beamy. I believe the Gulfstream is 500 lbs heavier than the Voyager 24. (needs its 200 gallon tanks!) Don't quote me on that. Also love the freeboard on the Gulfstream over my Seafarer.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thank you for your response....that is a lot of really great info....after your comments, I think I need to find a boat with a 8 1/2 foot beam.
Still trying to figure out the best model and engine configuration. 1 or 2...2 stroke or 4 stroke .....guess it depends on the model. My son is a spear fisherman so I definitely need a swim step. I will keep the boat in a slip but would be nice to be able to tow to a lake or the river for a vacation and have a boat and not to need an oversized tow permit....so i think the Gulfstream is out.
BTW the 2007 Gulfstream at $28,000 ad is a scam....Shout out to the other member that mentioned!
Great Community!

The search continues = )
It helps to separate in your mind the value of the boat/motors(s)/trailer?/electronics.
Boats over 20 years may need fuel tank(s), hoses, thru hull fittings, wiring/switches/batteries, transom/stringer/deck work.
Expect to see spider cracks in the gelcoat and a faded or chalky gelcoat.

A new Grady without a hardtop is like a base model Mustang...why???
A used Grady with a Grady hardtop is a value over adding one later. Consider it when pricing

You are new to outboards. IMO you should go straight to 4 stroke and never "experience" a 2 stroke. Two strokes are dead men walking..a VHS tape...an iPod
If you find a nice BOAT with 2 strokes, price it like you are going to have to repower with 4 strokes. If the 2 strokes run, you can sell them off and put the money towards new 4 stroke(s)
I got $5500 for a pair of running 2000 225 OX66s. I ran them for 2 years and they sucked up over $1000 in parts and got 1 mpg and the cost of oil was crushing.
BLUE SMOKE SUCKS. I think the market for used 2 strokes is quickly fading.

generally a 24' should either have twin 150s or a single 250/300. A 24 or 25 is right at the edge of needing twins.
You will save a lot of money upfront, on service, and on gas with a single. The biggest drawback to a single outboard is docking manueverability. But its way better than a single inboard by far. Some people think having twins is for safety. I know a lot of lobster boats with a single inboard that run out 100 miles for days.
If you have a fairly new 4 stroke the amount of $ you might ever spend getting towed in will never add up to the cost of a second motor.

Old trailers are a money pit. Things quickly add up to the price of a new trailer, especially if you are paying for labor.

The latest generation of electronics is big touch screens, side scan sonars, doppler radars. How far behind is the boat you are looking at? price in that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamRB

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Mustang65,

Wow....thank you so much for your comments....and YES....I was looking at the SCAM Boat STEWIE! i was about to call one of my buddies to see if he wanted to go look at the boat with me cuz it was supposedly located near downtown LA....I was born at night but not last night.... and it sounded too good to be true.... so i was going to take by Bud so I didn't get Jacked by myself.
Thanks for saving us the 20 mile trip. BTY its still on CL!

Seems a lot of guys also really like the 228 Seafarer. I haven't really been considering that model but with all the positive reviews....i need to put it on my rader.

You have really given me a lot to think about. sounds like you took your time, did the research and decided on what you wanted and waited for the right boat at the right price....I am all about that too. sounds like you got a really nice boat at a great price + a cool road trip to haul cross country. I envy you; )

So based on everyone's comments i am thinking a model with an 8 1/2 beam for sure, still deciding of 1 or 2 engines 2 or 4 stroke....will just depend on the right boat.

Thanks again for the welcome... warning.... and the great info....if you see something out there give me a shout!

Fair Seas' and Tight Lines,
Sam
You're very welcome. I tried looking on the California Craigslist site and couldn't find the boat, so I'm assuming it's been flagged and taken down. There are tons of scams out there with Grady White boats being involved on Craigslist and now they're even paying to have them listed on BoatTrader.com as a private party. But the things that I always look for would be the price, which if it's too good to be true then it likely is. And then I look at the numbers on the side of the boat, so if it's being sold in Florida it should have "FL" on the side and not "RI" for Rhode Island. Some of these idiots with the scams will also post pictures that I'll look at the backgrounds of to see if I can spot any license plates as well as a big one would be the surrounding trees and plants. Obviously palm trees aren't going to be growing in Rhode Island and if there are pictures of palm trees in the background then you know it's very much likely a scam. I actually saw someone do that on Craigslist for the Chicago Craigslist site and there were palm trees in the background.

The 228 Seafarer only has an 8' beam and not an 8'6" beam, although I don't mind it at all and there's still plenty of room to navigate around the boat. I think the 228 Seafarer is one of the most versatile boats out there, and especially one of the most versatile boats that Grady White make. You can do just about anything you want with it from cruising to crabbing or shrimping to even going out 40-50 miles for tuna or whatever else you want. It's trailerable by yourself and you can launch/retrieve/fish it solo without any problem. When you start getting into the bigger sized boats they start to become much, much easier with a second person as opposed to going solo. I did the whole journey back east by myself to purchase my boat and then trailered it back out to Seattle and had a lot of fun doing so. If you can look on the east coast then I definitely would as the prices for boats are sometimes half, or even less than half of what they sell for out on the west coast. And it makes for a really fun story to tell. Like you mentioned, be patient and wait for the right boat to come along but before that you need to prepare and have your finances all in line. Because when a great deal pops up then you need to be ready to jump on it before someone else beats you to it. Good luck with your search and keep us up to date with what you decide on!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
At a glance that looks like a pretty clean rig. 250 is pretty common power for those I think, I'm sure it'll push it fine (not lightning quick but fine). Really comes down to how much you're willing to pay for an engine that's closing in on its 30th birthday in a few years, how much you care about not having a hardtop, and how much you're bothered by the usual 2-stroke pleasantries such as high fuel consumption and noisy, smoky operation. If those things aren't an issue and there aren't too many hidden demons not shown in the listing it seems like a solid setup to me.
I agree and actually saw that boat on the California Craigslist ad. I don't think the price is great though, especially since it doesn't come with a trailer and is likely why it's still for sale after almost 2 weeks. It's an almost 30 year old hull with an almost 30 year old motor, no hardtop, no trailer and it doesn't say anything about electronics or have any pictures of any electronics that might be included. On the positive side... it does come with a kicker motor but I think there are better deals out there to be had.

To the OP, for a comparison.... I bought my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with a hardtop, a 2004 Yamaha F225 outboard and a 2009 aluminum I-beam trailer back in Maryland early this last October for $26.5k. It came with a basic, older Garmin 7" touchscreen MFD but think it was a considerably better deal than the one on Craigslist. Not trying to knock anyone's boat, just think it's a bit overpriced for what you get, or more importantly what you don't get, and is likely why the boat is still for sale.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wanted a Voyager 24' but they are hard to find. Cons are that with the euro transom you lose 2' of deck so it's the same fishing/patio room as the Seafarer 22' w/ bracket. For example my Sefarer 228 is longer over all than the voyager. I get a full width swim deck too.

Spent a lot of time on my friends 23' gulfstream as well. Cabin layout is terrible. Was a deal breaker for me. Not sure why Grady did that. Also towing is not fun. My friend hates it even with his dodge 2500. Possible but not fun or legal w/o permit. Also 250 hp fourstroke is not enough. Maybe ok in a 250 2 stroke. His came with twin 130 2S and could only do 25 mph. His new single 350 suzuiki is perfect.
I think the 228 Seafarer is at right about the happy medium for being big enough of a boat to feel safe and comfortable in with a good deal of space and fishing room for only a 22' boat but also not too big where it's a hassle for towing or captaining by yourself. My previous boat was a 21' Arima and for being only a 21' boat it had even more space than my 228 Seafarer, but the rest of the boat was quite terrible in terms of design and comfort. The reasons you listed are also the reasons why I didn't want a 232 Gulfstream, especially with the funky design of the cabin but on top of that... I also don't like the step/stair going from the cockpit to the helm and I wasn't a huge fan of the 9'3" beam. Because like you mentioned, it's not as easy to tow, it's a bigger/heavier boat that's going to suck down more fuel and if you have twin motors it's going to cost double for maintenance. The 228 Seafarer is just about perfect for my particular application although I do wish the beam was maybe an 8'6" beam to give you a little more width and I do wish that they'd maybe take out some of the seats to give you extra fishing room. There's a decent amount as is but they provide 6 seats and don't think I'll use all of them that often, if at all. Those are little things that I can live with though as the boat is a fantastic boat and one I hope to own for the next 10-15 years, or hopefully even more than that.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dang, what was it like riding on that thing? I had a Honda 130hp 4 stroke on my previous boat, which was a 21' Arima and they are very heavy motors with a dry weight of over 500lbs a piece. I imagine with twins, a full tank of fuel, dual batteries and all the other weight in the boat that it must've squatted pretty low in the rear.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dang, what was it like riding on that thing? I had a Honda 130hp 4 stroke on my previous boat, which was a 21' Arima and they are very heavy motors with a dry weight of over 500lbs a piece. I imagine with twins, a full tank of fuel, dual batteries and all the other weight in the boat that it must've squatted pretty low in the rear.
Surprisingly that Voyager packed those outboards just fine, he has since replaced them with twin Yamaha F150s and still no real stern squat.

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE

THX blynch,

Those are really good points of consideration....To be honest, I didnt even notice it didnt have a hard top with the isinglass enclosure.

I have been reviewing everyone's comments and advise....and a lot of other general posts... and it seems to me that a 228 Seafarer with a 4 stroke is the way to go and would best serve my wants and needs.

Also seems to be hard to find on the west coast at a reasonable price....

I need to have full knee replacement so got lots of time to shop between now and summer.
Looks like I need to increase my budget from $20-$30k to more like $30-$50k

keep an eye out for me and let me know if you see something that looks worth the $$$.
Thx again for the great advise...it is appreciated!
S

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE

Hi Drifter,
really good points to consider....thx for all the info. the more i read the more I am leaning towards a 228.....think it has just about everything i need and a lot more versatile.....i also like the idea of a single engine.
I am not going 50 miles offshore to chase tuna....so the maintenance, upkeep and fuel economy just make more sense to me.

I really like the long deck and with 22 w/bracket layout....about the same deck space and from what I have read less engine noise underway.
Thx for all the tips!!!
Pls keep them coming and If you see something on the west coast, give me a shout out.
Sam

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I think the 228 Seafarer is at right about the happy medium for being big enough of a boat to feel safe and comfortable in with a good deal of space and fishing room for only a 22' boat but also not too big where it's a hassle for towing or captaining by yourself. My previous boat was a 21' Arima and for being only a 21' boat it had even more space than my 228 Seafarer, but the rest of the boat was quite terrible in terms of design and comfort. The reasons you listed are also the reasons why I didn't want a 232 Gulfstream, especially with the funky design of the cabin but on top of that... I also don't like the step/stair going from the cockpit to the helm and I wasn't a huge fan of the 9'3" beam. Because like you mentioned, it's not as easy to tow, it's a bigger/heavier boat that's going to suck down more fuel and if you have twin motors it's going to cost double for maintenance. The 228 Seafarer is just about perfect for my particular application although I do wish the beam was maybe an 8'6" beam to give you a little more width and I do wish that they'd maybe take out some of the seats to give you extra fishing room. There's a decent amount as is but they provide 6 seats and don't think I'll use all of them that often, if at all. Those are little things that I can live with though as the boat is a fantastic boat and one I hope to own for the next 10-15 years, or hopefully even more than that.
Hi Mustang,

After all the great feedback and your in-depth posts.....I think the 228 is the boat for me with a single 4 stroke.
I appreciate the time you spent to shop and give ya lots of credit going all the way to the east coast to get the boat you wanted at such a great price. Unfortunately I cant see myself towing a boat across the country as i really don't like driving that much or have the time it would take to be off work.....so its west coast boats for me.

Thanks for all the great advice and insight, it truly is appreciated.

Never have been an impulse buyer so have lots of time to shop for the right west coast boat.

Please keep and eye out for me and give me a shout out if you see something interesting.

Fair Seas' and watch those tides in the Sound!

Miss Port Townsend and Gig Harbor....but don't miss that damn rain!
Best,
Sam

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
It helps to separate in your mind the value of the boat/motors(s)/trailer?/electronics.
Boats over 20 years may need fuel tank(s), hoses, thru hull fittings, wiring/switches/batteries, transom/stringer/deck work.
Expect to see spider cracks in the gelcoat and a faded or chalky gelcoat.

A new Grady without a hardtop is like a base model Mustang...why???
A used Grady with a Grady hardtop is a value over adding one later. Consider it when pricing

You are new to outboards. IMO you should got straight to 4 stroke and never "experience" a 2 stroke. Two strokes are dead men walking..a VHS tape...an iPod
If you find a nice BOAT with 2 strokes, price it like you are going to have to repower with 4 strokes. If the 2 strokes run, you can sell them off and put the money towards new 4 stroke(s)
I got $5500 for a pair of running 2000 225 OX66s. I ran them for 2 years and they sucked up over $1000 in parts and got 1 mpg and the cost of oil was crushing.
BLUE SMOKE SUCKS. I think the market for used 2 strokes is quickly fading.

generally a 24' should either have twin 150s or a single 250/300. A 24 or 25 is right at the edge of needing twins.
You will save a lot of money upfront, on service, and on gas with a single. The biggest drawback to a single outboard is docking manueverability. But its way better than a single inboard by far. Some people think having twins is for safety. I know a lot of lobster boats with a single inboard that run out 100 miles for days.
If you have fairly new 4 strokes the amount of $ you might ever spend getting towed in will never add up to the cost of a second motor.

Old trailers are a money pit. Things quickly add up to the price of a new trailer, especially if you are paying for labor.

The latest generation of electronics is big touch screens, side scan sonars, doppler radars. How far behind is the boat you are looking at? price in that.
Great points of consideration.....I had a 24' uniflight with a flybridge with a single outdrive....and the boat was like a kit in the wind in the harbor...and was terrible in a following sea...but after time I got it down, so i know all about maneuverability!!!

Traded up to a 28' Bertram with twin gas.....and one would vapor lock on me the minute I got ready to dock so i always had to limp in on 1.....it really sucked till i switched the carbs to fuel injection...but by then i hated the boat.

I think that's kinda why i just want a low profile small Grady with 1 outboard.....that my boys can also tow to lake Havasu if they want to go to the river.

We have Vessel Assist....so if i lose an engine it would be local and not a big deal.
But it might be nice to have a kicker??? any thoughts on set up and size?

I am just going to do a little bay cruising and son a little spear fishing....maybe Catalina 1 week in the summer with a rental house for a vacation.

Thank all you guys for steering me in the right direction.....seems a 228 w/bracket and single four stroke is the way to go....$ for $

Let me know if you see something that might look worth getting surveyed.

I have lots of time to shop for the right boat at a fair price.

Best and Tight Lines!
Sam

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Thanks Don...seems to be everyone's suggestion....and i really appreciate everyone's feedback.

WHAT A GREAT COMMUNITY! = )

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Unfortunately I cant see myself towing a boat across the country as i really don't like driving that much or have the time it would take to be off work.....so its west coast boats for me.
You can, and I've done it twice now with boats that I've purchased, pay to have a marine surveyor/inspector look over the boat for you. If you like the boat and agree on a price with the seller you can then use a website called Uship.com to have the boat shipped from the east coast, or wherever it's currently located at, to your residence. Do a Google search for marine surveyors and it should pop up with NAMS - Nationally Accredited Marine Surveyors, as well as I think SAMS... ;)

Last edited:

SamRB

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Thx Mustang
More great info to consider.
did I see that you got a quote to have your boat shipped from Maryland to Seattle befor you decided to tow yourself?
$ ?
was it about $4500?

Would need to factor that into the price

thx
Sam

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
We have Vessel Assist....so if i lose an engine it would be local and not a big deal.
But it might be nice to have a kicker??? any thoughts on set up and size?
For a kicker on a 22-24’ I would go 8-10hp. 8hp high thrust, long shaft (20 or 25”) ideally. Even 6hp would be fine for most purposes and would be lower weight hanging off the back of the boat. My 6hp on my sailboat is 60 lbs. my 9.9hp kicker is closer to 100lbs.

If you get a boat with dual batteries, having both on the opposite side of the kicker can offset the weight for balance. Ideal setup has your kicker steering connected to the main, and same with the fuel. A kicker will save hours on your main engine if you troll fish, as well as being a good safety net if you have issues with your main on the water.