Wanted: Seafarer 228 in SoCal

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I personally don't mind going through a dealer as long as they're decent and so on. In fact, I'd probably rather go through a dealer than a private party for contractual reasons, especially since I'm going through a credit union to purchase the boat. A private party could get a check overnighted from my credit union and then leave the state or country... although that's not likely to happen. A dealer having a brick and motor store I think would have much more accountability if for some reason the deal went south. But yes I agree, I'm sure there are a ton of boats down in the southeastern part of the country that have been damaged from floods or hurricanes, tornadoes and so on. That's why I won't purchase a boat without having a marine surveyor or inspector check it out first, especially if I'm out of state. Here's another 228 for sale, no affiliation at all, looks like a really nice, clean boat but is rather spendy imo.

Ettatouffée

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I personally don't mind going through a dealer as long as they're decent and so on. In fact, I'd probably rather go through a dealer than a private party for contractual reasons, especially since I'm going through a credit union to purchase the boat. A private party could get a check overnighted from my credit union and then leave the state or country... although that's not likely to happen. A dealer having a brick and motor store I think would have much more accountability if for some reason the deal went south. But yes I agree, I'm sure there are a ton of boats down in the southeastern part of the country that have been damaged from floods or hurricanes, tornadoes and so on. That's why I won't purchase a boat without having a marine surveyor or inspector check it out first, especially if I'm out of state. Here's another 228 for sale, no affiliation at all, looks like a really nice, clean boat but is rather spendy imo.

Just a heads up, I’m local to that boat and it is the second time it has been listed in a year. Fwiw be cautious and ask good questions.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just a heads up, I’m local to that boat and it is the second time it has been listed in a year. Fwiw be cautious and ask good questions.
Thanks! I very much appreciate your offer but this boat, while it seems nice, is quite a bit out of my price range. Just passing it along in case it fits anyone else's needs.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
48k seems like a steal in this market, especially as a repower. I’m curious what is wrong with it.

In 2019, anything north of 35-40k for an early 2000s 228 indicated it was a repower.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The way I look at it is in terms of pricing… west coast compared to east coast, what I’ve seen for sale in the past, especially the recent past, what’s sold and what hasn’t, and how long it took to sell or if it even did sell. Imo… and this is just my opinion of course… this seems close to what a GW 228 Seafarer would sell for out here in the Seattle area/PNW. Or at least if going off the asking price alone… my thoughts would be “what is going to be the total cost to get the boat to my door”? At $48k it would cost nearly $5k in sales tax for the boat and then probably at least $3-4k on top of that to get the boat out here from Alabama. For $56k+, I think I could probably still break even at that price but there wouldn’t be much wiggle room at all if I had to spend more money on something as I don’t think the boat would be worth much more than $60k out here, and that’s on the high range IMO.

In regards to this boat specifically… I like the year, that it doesn’t have bottom paint and has an almost new trailer. I’m personally not a fan of 2 strokes, especially now that Evinrude is no longer making motors, and I much prefer Garmin over Simrad. Still looks like a nice boat and in what appears to be good shape, at least from the pictures. I guess time will tell if it sells and for how much…

Last edited:

Mrwhistle52

Reaction score
I like how the Etec is "still under warranty"....yeah make sure to get in line in bankruptcy court for your claim. :oops::oops:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I like how the Etec is "still under warranty"....yeah make sure to get in line in bankruptcy court for your claim. :oops::oops:
I think they still are servicing, just no new outboards being made under the brand. I could be wrong though

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Not affiliated but it is in your general viscinity

Lol I wish it was legit as I’d be all over that. That’s a scam and is the boat that was for sale in Pensacola, Florida at that broker/shipping company Atlantic Pro for $37,800. Way too good of a deal, especially for the west coast. And now other scammers are using it out of multiple different states

Last edited:

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Could be a scam
But usually they don’t give phone numbers for contacts and this one does he have a phone number or contact.
and the price is not low like a scam would have .

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the one in California is probably legit like JJMag said as that’s a price that’s definitely in the ballpark and isn’t “a steal”. The top looks the same or similar, and they could’ve moved or the boat could’ve changed hands from TX to CF for the numbers on the side. The side decals also could’ve been added pretty easily. Lastly, the trailer looks to be the same in all of the pictures where it is shown.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok guys, how do these boat selling scams work? I certainly would not send any money until I had seen the boat and its registration and established some kind of legit contact with the owner. Not sure how many folks buy sight unseen with little or no homework.:confused:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another scam??? Some pics have tower on top others have lettering on side with soft top??
I zoomed in on pics. Same boat, just added tower and changed registration from TX to CA.

If you look at TX pic zoomed in, you can see the same anchor and the same LED light on front edge of the top. The tower pic is the same top but with a platform to stand on with the tower and Cali registration.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I zoomed in on pics. Same boat, just added tower and changed registration from TX to CA.

If you look at TX pic zoomed in, you can see the same anchor and the same LED light on front edge of the top. The tower pic is the same top but with a platform to stand on with the tower and Cali registration.
Agreed. Same goes for the trailer being the same in all of the pictures where it’s actually shown. I think it’s definitely a legit boat/ad but still quite a bit more than what I want to spend, unfortunately. Looks like a nice boat though.