Water in Fuel

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Great info Hookup, thank you.

Trouble is, I can’t get the engine to run more than a few seconds before it dies out. Initially it ran about 20 minutes then died. Then as I tried to restart it would run three or four seconds and cut out again.
OK, this info is different than what was originally thought. Originally, it seemed like it would run, but just run rough.

See post #15 (and/or what the other guys are saying, as well). These are both easy and quick to do - next step could be to run on a portable tank. Possibly a fuel pressure test, as well.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If the VST tank has water or its filter is clogged you will get the same symptoms. Regardless of whether you have a separate portable fuel tank or not. Debris and clogging and water can be downstream of both of the main filters. Recommend you change VST filter drain VST and that may solve your problem. If it’s fuel.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Fuel tanks are in compartments that are isolated from the boat bilge to prevent you from blowing up the boat.
Is this true? I have removed my fuel tank deck cover and cleaned the tank with soap and water. It seemed that the water was getting into the bilge. The soapy water did not seem to be building up around the tank.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Is this true? I have removed my fuel tank deck cover and cleaned the tank with soap and water. It seemed that the water was getting into the bilge. The soapy water did not seem to be building up around the tank.

Last year I looked into the design of GW fuel compartments and bilge area. If you look at the thread below you will see a diagram of my boat from GW. There is a long PVC pipe glassed in from the forward bilge to the aft bilge under the fuel compartments. There is a drain on the fuel compartment that is plugged. If you look at the photo below you can see both of them.

Aft bilge 268.jpeg

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I didn't read all posts but are you getting your fuel at the same place all the time? Maybe it is their problem and not yours.

Danel

Reaction score
I have had the same problem and everything has been because I did not have gaskets in the filler mouths

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Last year I looked into the design of GW fuel compartments and bilge area. If you look at the thread below you will see a diagram of my boat from GW. There is a long PVC pipe glassed in from the forward bilge to the aft bilge under the fuel compartments. There is a drain on the fuel compartment that is plugged. If you look at the photo below you can see both of them.

View attachment 20872

If that is the case, I am going to be carrying extra weight this season from all of the soapy water that I used to clean my fuel tank. Can you access that plug to temporarily pull it out?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If that is the case, I am going to be carrying extra weight this season from all of the soapy water that I used to clean my fuel tank. Can you access that plug to temporarily pull it out?
I have never tried it but you should be able to do that. It's in the aft bilge. See if you can find it. My photo shows the plug.Aft bilge 268.jpeg

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There are a number of posts on this site that discuss the problem. I. have been through it myself. Best answer is to replace the o-ring on your fuel fill and install a Sierra fuel filter with a clear bowl instead of Yamaha filter can. That way you can monitor the water and tap it off before it gets to the engine filter.

If its a start of season thing its likely the o-ring and/or condensation in the tank. This is a long thread but read it through.

Back in Islamorada for February this year. Been out for a few trips with no water in the fuel. Probably was the o-rings.