What 265 Express Upgrades?

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I am a proud new owner or a 2000 Express 265. I have been searching this forum and getting some good ideas on things to do. But I thought I would aslo ask, What improvements and upgrades have you guys done that you are proud of? Upload some pictures! I am thinking about adding a transsom mounted rod holder or two? and maybe a removable bait/fish cleaning station? has anyone done this? What about adding a davit with trap puller? I will be doing a ton of crabbing here on the west coast and was thinking of adding a starboard cap to protect the rail on the side of the puller. Maybe a table? What do you guys think?

eppem

Reaction score
I has a glass shop pull the aft bildge panel and put a hinge in for better access.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. It appears the the prior owner of my boat removed the panel and didn't re-seal it. Kinda leaks.

Nobody else? What about modification of the Dash? Has anyone put a Raymarine C120 in the dash? Mine are overhead and it could really us being moved down where you can more easily see it. But that area is too small. Was thinking about cutting it back at an agle to put in starboard and maybe two units side by side?

slapshot1848

Reaction score
I too just bought a 2000 265 Express here on Lake Erie. The previous owner had a Port Hatch put in over the bathroom. It looks like a smaller version of the hatch that is on the bow over the v-berth. I do not believe it was an original option as I have never seen one on another 265. The hatch is great as it adds light into the bathroom, not to mention I am sure it is good for ventilation too! lol

We are also going to have the marina replace the dash area where the current gps/fishfinder is so that we can flush mount a new gps/fishfinder unit just forward of the wheel so that it will be easily read and accessed while underway.

Good luck with your new vessel, if you are excited as I am about it, I'm sure it will bring you many years of joy.

Lee

slapshot1848

Reaction score
by the way the new electronics that we are putting in is the Raymarine C90W...I've never used it but the features look pretty killer.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I added two Gemlux rod holders to the transom gate, one on each side of the pliers/knife holder. The Gemlux units are nice because there are no screws- they attach like a thru-hull. The SS finish is great as well.

I also removed the electronics box plexi and installed a Raymarine C120W units, DSM300, radar, etc. I had a company in NC make a starboard piece for the C120W to cover the front of the electronics box. It came out great. Their starboard matches the Grady color almost identically. I believe they mapped it into their computer system so they would have the template already done. Excellent work for $70. Fin Addict Marine sales@finaddictmarine.com

I do use a removable cutting board that installs in a rod holder. The boat came with a 0 degree rod holders as far forward on the gunwhale as possible, and it works well for the West Marine cutting board unit.

Next time I'm at the boat, I'll take some photos of the rod holders and electronics.

HMBJack

Reaction score
If it doesn't have it already, I'd install a 3rd battery (starboard side). Also, if you boat around ships and shipping lanes, I'd install an AIS receiver (good) or transponder (better). We get alot of fog here in San Francisco and an AIS will save your bacon while salmon fishing or crabbing in, or near, the lanes. Good luck and congrats!

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Max336. Those upgrades seem exactly like what I am thinking of. I put the Gemlux on order! If you do get pics of the dash that would be awsome. I have an electronics guy that I think can do the work so that would be very helpful.

Slapshot. :eek: That is a novle idea. Unfortunately my bow hatch is leaking, So i'm a little leary of adding another entry point for water. Light would be good though.

As a side note, I just got a new tripple axel trailer with Electronic over Hydraulic breaks. :wow These are awsome at stopping this big boat! I have many years of towing to Northern California and I am actually looking forward to it now. I highly recommend E/H.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Almost forgot- I also changed to SS fuel filter heads and mounted them to enable the use of Racor filter/clear bowl or the large Yamaha filters. Also installed a SS vacuum gauge on each filter to let me know if it's getting plugged. I'll get some pictures of these next time I'm at the boat. I also installed a shoot through transducer in the stern hatch where the washdown/baitwell pumps are located.

tilewave

Reaction score
i also added 2 rod holders on my transom gate, dont know how i ever did without them. i also removed my fridge and turned that area into a huge locker. good luck with your boat!

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Found this, not sure if it is max366. this is exactly what I am looking at thanks. I should really replace the FF with the bow type. I did replace the radio yesterday with an IPod compatable radio so now I can listen to my fishing mix while on the water :D

P6060001.jpg

On a side not, we made it out for a cruise on the SF bay yesterday. Very fun in the new boat! Can't wait to get her on the Pacific for salmon next week!

SF.jpg

P3250814.jpg

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 265 with 4 strokes. That flush mount gps looks sweet, I'd like to know who/how it was done. I'm also planning to add 2 rodholders to the fold down motor covers and then redo the combing pads. What kind of steering wheel would be good to upgrade to? I've seen a couple grady's with sweet chrome/SS wheels that look great.

slapshot1848

Reaction score
Enzoforza, I just picked up a Edson 16" Almag Wheel as well as the comfort grip power knob. I am going to do a clamp mount vs. drilled for the power knob so if I decide I want to move the knob later I can with ease and not be stuck with the location. Edson are in my opinion (and many others as well) the finest wheels out there for looks and durability. Make sure you get the wheel tapered (marine standard) as opposed to straight bore. I verified this with Grady-White service today. When looking at other wheels similar to Edson many will be 1/3 the price but none are of the same quality and pedigree.

Good Luck and Happy Boating!

slapshot1848

Reaction score
[album]567[/album]

I'm trying to figure out how to get this pic onto this thread, if it doesn't make it over just check out the gallery under Express...I'm trying to get the pic of my helm with the hatch mounted over the bathroom

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sea Shift said:
Found this, not sure if it is max366. this is exactly what I am looking at thanks. I should really replace the FF with the bow type. I did replace the radio yesterday with an IPod compatable radio so now I can listen to my fishing mix while on the water :D

P6060001.jpg

On a side not, we made it out for a cruise on the SF bay yesterday. Very fun in the new boat! Can't wait to get her on the Pacific for salmon next week!

SF.jpg

P3250814.jpg

Sea Shift,

It looks like you used starboard to replace the smoke colored door to flush mount your electronics. How is this attached to the helm? I don't see evidence of any type of fasteners on the surface.

I'm looking at doing something similar to my Seafarer and thinking of all types of options.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finally got to the boat yesterday and took some pictures.
I took out the plexi panels and had a piece of starboard (that matches the fiberglass color almost exactly) made after I made a template. It's held on with four machine screws countersunk and through bolted and then I painted the heads. I had to trim the top of the fiberglass on the electronics box opening to fit the Raymarine C120W.
The SS filter head had extra ports so the vacuum gauge was attached to the engine side so that I can see if the filter is getting plugged. By the way after about 100 hours, there was no increase in the pressure drop across the filter. SS gauge, silicone oil filled to dampen vibration. Works great.

Attachments

• Fuel filter gage resized.JPG
    Fuel filter gage resized.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 3,769
  • Electronics panel resized.JPG
    Electronics panel resized.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 3,770

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Max, awsome instal on the C120. Thanks for the pics. Cool idea on the vac gauge too.

I took the leap and drilled a hole in the transom for the two GEM rodholders :shock: I think there going to look good.......

photo-1.jpg

Next comes the downriggers!

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sea Shift -thanks for the kudos.
One tip on the Gemlux- they are just a bit too long and when the transom gate is folded, they will bottom out on the stern side panel and gouge it. I suggest grinding off the threaded drain coupling at the bottom. It will provide about 1/2" of clearance. Mine will be done tomorrow.

Bill_N

Reaction score
Here's a shot of my C120 and 582L flushmounted. My panel is screwed in from the backside and caulked. Makes it a little more theftproof and I like the clean panel face.

P6060001.jpg