What 265 Express Upgrades?

tilewave

Reaction score
....one very minor tip if u sleep on your boat alot like i do. i took a hollow core swim "noodle" ( dollar store ). cut a piece the lengh on the rod holders above your head where you sleep, sliced it open down the middle with a razor knife and simply fit one over each rod holder. works great ! those rod holders can really hurt your head !

Sea Shift

Reaction score
How timely! We are doing our first overnighter tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
max366, I am very interested in what type of vacuum gauges you installed?

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I found them on ebay, but what is needed is a vacuum gauge suitable for 0 to 30" Hg, which is full vacuum or about -14.7 psi. The Racor literature shows that a fully loaded filter at full flow (50 GPH) will have about a 6 psi pressure drop, so the gauge will read almost halfway at WOT if the filter needs to be changed. I went with all SS cases and internals, plus the dial is partly filled with glycerin to dampen any pulsations- they were used in a process plant. They have held up great.
The interesting thing is that at the end of the season, about 700 gal of fuel used, the gauges show less than 1" Hg pressure drop at WOT, which says the fuel must have been pretty clean. At least if I get a load of crap I'll have a way of knowing.
The head on my SS filter housing had spare ports so I just connected the gauges to the vacuum side.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is there a brand on the gauges? Reason I ask is there is a real big problem trying to find a vacuum gauge that will support gasoline. Lots of posts on this over on THT. I had purchased 2 gauges and one did not work properly. Manuf. said it was likely due to the wetting part of the internals were silicone and would not hold up to gas, so I had to remove them. Lots of folks still looking for a gauge that will support the vacuum and gas combination.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Max, that is a great deal. It seems that in your case, so far, no gasoline has caused any gauge failures. I think I might just give these a try at that price.
The one's I purchased were approx. $100 ea and one failes shortly after connecting up. Myself and many others have consulted with several companies and all of them said theirs were not made to support gasoline. Diesel fuel at best.

I am anxious, but we finally concluded to just be religious to change the filters every 50 hours. However, I would like to have a tell tale sign on a gauge when there is a blockage of any type which could be other than just a filter, like the anti siphon fitting on the tank which I had fail on my previous boat.

I will do some more digging, but so far, this one looks good.

BTW, what motor do you have?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey Max, found the specs from post that Andy on SIM Yamaha defined for us.

If you are checking fuel system vacuum readings at the engine mounted fuel filter, the Yamaha spec is from idle to WOT no more then 4.0" hg for up to 200hp and 2.6ltr HPDI engines, and 6.0" hg for 200hp and up engines including the F200-F225 4-stroke models.

So if I read this right, the 1-6hg reading on this gauge means it will only to up to the -6 on the scale, so vacuum in your case reached up to -6, you have limited on your allowable restriction. For me, it would be -4 on the gauge, so since the scale is so small, one would have to pay very close attention.

Is this your understanding also? Confusing on the hg stuff.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You're right about reading about 4" HG or about 15% of full scale on the gauge for your engines, but that is fully manageable. My experience shows that a clean filter has almost no pressure drop and the gauge reads close to zero vacuum at WOT. If I see any pressure drop change, it will indicate that it's time to change the filters. So I don't really care what it's reading- any increase means it's time to change and that's easy to see on a 0-30"Hg gauge. Also, I suspect it will be hard to find a gauge out there that only reads say, 0-10" Hg.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Max, just what I was expecting and agree. Any resistance is an indicator for sure and also can compare with new filter's value if it changes.

ENZOFORZA

Reaction score
Sea Shift said:
Max, awsome instal on the C120. Thanks for the pics. Cool idea on the vac gauge too.

I took the leap and drilled a hole in the transom for the two GEM rodholders :shock: I think there going to look good.......

photo-1.jpg

Next comes the downriggers!

what size holesaw did you use and what are the model #'s of the rodholders?? That is a great Idea adding the rodholders there.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The model # is 105527 screwless 0 degree rod holders. Here's the link to the website http://www.gemlux.com/catalog2010/rodho ... ter/105527

There's a pdf drawing that provides the details. I think I used a 2" hole saw, but it was over a year ago. I used a tool like a Multimaster to cut the small slot that prevents the holder from rotating. I did grind off the coupling at the bottom to prevent it from hitting the transom when folded. Use big Channelocks to tighten the nut.

They are really nice and the location works well. Good luck and let me know if you have other questions.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
The modle you see there is the same that max listed. I didnt worry about notch and drilled it at 2 3/8". Came out very nice.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
I really love my new dash, I wanted to mount a vhf flush, but had to compromise because there wasnt enough room. Thats a Garmin 4210 and Sitex 128, had to notch out the corners and top lip, but youd never know it because of the Starboard.

Attachments

• New Dash 2.JPG
    New Dash 2.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 2,392

Sea Shift

Reaction score
That looks great. I really need to do this. I compacted my spine the other day reaching for my FF overhead. Comming soon, dual C120 side by sides. Now just to find someone more handy than me......

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Finally got the outriggers installed! Now I'm ready for the Albi's. Warm water is commin. :dance
photo-5.jpg

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Runs great! I love having the power to jump on plane with a full load and large seas. I can even run them down at idol for salmon trolling no problem. I thought I would have to kill one but with the swell and hull weight I still bump each up a little.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to putting a filet table on the back of my 265. I used Magna adjustable gimbel mounts so I can put it on the side or the transom. Should make for easy cleaning of the tuna and a nice deck table for the cruises!

tabel.jpg