What a difference 4 months makes.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
First picture is the day is what delivered. The second is this past weekend. Still have a little plumbing and wiring to finish up. Hopefully by father's day she will be at the marina.
All new thru hulls, scuppers, hoses, new bilge pumps, washdown pump, relocated water pickups to bilge, ton of repairs to the bottom, removed 30 years of bottom paint, faired and painted with VC Performance. Emblems and stripes removed. Total detail, removed heavy oxidation, buffed polished and waxed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-090219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-090219_Gallery.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_20220606-090038_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-090038_Facebook.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 189

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How hard was it to remove the bottom paint? It’s something I would like to do to my Seafarer in the next few years, thanks.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
How hard was it to remove the bottom paint? It’s something I would like to do to my Seafarer in the next few years, thanks.
A holy living P.I.A!!!! Literally took me over a month working every weekend and a few nights a week, or as much as my body would allow. Hand scraper to get the really thick stuff followed by 36 grit random orbital sander down to gelcoat.

Make sure you use the proper safety gear. Tyvek suit, good respirator, gloves and face shield. Everything was coated in black dust when I was done, everything!
Hindsight, I would never do it again. It would have been worth the 2k to have it soda blasted.... but it was winter here and didn't really have anything else to do.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Like an brand new yacht!!!
Thanks buddy. Still have to go over again with the buffer and some polish. Few spots didn't gloss up enough, for my liking, but I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hmmm thanks for the advice, there is a ship yard north of me, I think I will get a quote from them when I’m ready to move ahead with removing the anti fouling paint.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
A holy living P.I.A!!!! Literally took me over a month working every weekend and a few nights a week, or as much as my body would allow. Hand scraper to get the really thick stuff followed by 36 grit random orbital sander down to gelcoat.

Make sure you use the proper safety gear. Tyvek suit, good respirator, gloves and face shield. Everything was coated in black dust when I was done, everything!
Hindsight, I would never do it again. It would have been worth the 2k to have it soda blasted.... but it was winter here and didn't really have anything else to do.
It looks like it still has bottom paint though. It looks like white from the chine down. or am i seeing things?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The boat looks terrific! I'm planning on a total makeover for my boat including repainting.

I have a storage customer with a large center console that has a white painted bottom. It's not a perfectly clean bottom but its looks pretty good. Something I might do to mine.

Last edited:

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That is an amazing transformation. You should be proud of your efforts. Now get her bloody!!!

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
It looks like it still has bottom paint though. It looks like white from the chine down. or am i seeing things?
Interlux VC Performance Epoxy. Hard bottom paint. No way was the gelcoat being saved.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Interlux VC Performance Epoxy. Hard bottom paint. No way was the gelcoat being saved.
did you do it yourself? how easy was it? i may be picking up a boat with partially removed black and would like to do something like this instead

this really seems like it would be the best of both worlds, the looks and "effeciency" of no bottom paint, but the protection of paint...

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
did you do it yourself? how easy was it? i may be picking up a boat with partially removed black and would like to do something like this instead. ive never seen a shiny bottom paint, does it hold up as well as traditional bottom paint?

this really seems like it would be the best of both worlds, the looks and "effeciency" of no bottom paint, but the protection of paint...

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Vc performance application was really easy. Low nap rollers. Clean them with some masking tape before you start applying. You have to time the recoats. After 4 hours and before 24 hours. It's not glass smooth. If you want a glass smooth finish it can be wet sanded. I didn't bother. Looks much better than it did.
I ordered the 2 gallon kit. 1 gallon each of paint and activator. Only used little more than a gallon with 5 coats. It goes on pretty thin.

Right now it's hard as nails.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i think i found it on west marines site. is what you applied the non-antifouling?