What could Grady do better?

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I have a canyon and no complaints, but I will agree with glacierbaze that they need to clean out
the crap in the bilge. I am still picking out the pieces of foam and other small stuff. I have the 271 and I wish they would have the option of the bucket seats like on the 306

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can't really reference my 28 year old Seafarer for this discussion, but if I came into some vast fortune tomorrow and decided to look into new CC, Grady would probably not be on my list. I find they do an incredible job of cluttering the decks of even their largest boats so as to minimize fishing space. Would you believe this is the bow of a thirty-seven foot boat?
Family day boat disguised as a CC. The DC is good for this customer base and focus on the fisherman for the walks and CCs. The Expresses can be both family and hard core fishing.
It’s not that Grady doesn’t know how the competition does things or how to do things better. Like every boat builder they build to a price point and the added cost and time to make the improvements you mentioned would push them above that “price point”.
Well then not a top tier boat then. I thought that was their price point - all your jing please....

GH236

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Very happy so far. Would not change a thing.

Just Chillin

Reaction score
Model
Release
As you know, I love my 228. But are there things I wish were different? You bet, and here is my list for the 228:

Offer a pilot house version with no eigenglass, just glass windows with a vertical divider rather than the horizontal divider.

Hand rails on the hard top like Northcoast does.

Remains to be seen, but I did flap valves in the rear scuppers, if those work, do that. Not fun standing in water in a $130K boat.

I could whine about more cup holders or rod holders, but that seems petty.

What is your boat and what could they do better?
Not sure you will like the full windshield. With polarized glasses the view isn’t clear Hard to explain but it is very evident. Never had the fortune to run a GW with the windshield but I have operated several competitors boats all with the same result

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If they still made the 228 or one day being it back. Just add 6 tiny inches to the beam amidships. It would make walking through the companion way easier for my fishing buddy Ben who is a big guy . It's a small thing but man would it make it nicer .

Sometimes I don't think Grady understands their own reputation on the negative side . How they finish the transom on 6 figure boats is just idiotic. They got smart people there . I have met their lead engineer.

If I was a hard core fisherman I would own a different boat I guess . I don't know . I am a do it all guy and I like the lines and ride of the boat. I catch plenty of fish and it's my fishing skills not the boat as to why I don't catch more . I do recall the Grady marketing where the Walk Around and fishing lingo dominated their marketing materials. Businesses want to stay in business and make a profit and if the current idea is to build sand bar queens ,I guess that's where Grady is headed. .

Just give me six inches , that's all I am asking .

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Wow. Grady needs to see this.

I feel bad for starting this because in spite of my complaints, I bought a 2020 Grady 228 and most of the problems have been sorted.

I love my 228, it is a great boat, but yeah, it could be better. I think the advice that Grady should walk around every other major brand and see what they have done better is great.

To you guys talking about the fragile hard top, my hard top is beefy as you know what. I could put a fly bridge up there and be fine.

All of the points made, I want to say this. My 2020 Grady is pretty sorted. Yeah, when they went 4 stroke heavier engines they should have raised the scuppers. If that is my biggest problem, go Grady. I'm only into a couple of years but so far the support has been great, the boat has been great. We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When they trim bolts to length, run a file over the end to remove the tiny scalpel blades that like to slice fingers as you blindly feel for where to fit the spanner.

Reactions: blindmullet

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They did raise the scuppers, and move the fuel tank forward when the 4 strokes came out. They can only raise them so high before they don't work at all...i use the ping pong balls without issue. Maybe a bigger engine bracket to add some flotation would help support the weight of the kicker that most of us add. Not that it matters...they don't build the damn boat anymore.

Longer hard top would be high on my list. Not even a bloody marlin keeps 4 people out of the weather properly...

No wood would be good of course.

A walk around in between the marlin and gulfstream would be nice. I picture something like a sailfish/islander blend...dreaming of a sailfish with a longer helm/cabin. Could afford to lose 6 inches out back.

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Can't really reference my 28 year old Seafarer for this discussion, but if I came into some vast fortune tomorrow and decided to look into new CC, Grady would probably not be on my list. I find they do an incredible job of cluttering the decks of even their largest boats so as to minimize fishing space. Would you believe this is the bow of a thirty-seven foot boat?
Those backrests can be folded back. The table can be removed. The cushions can be removed. Don’t hold me to it, but I think the front center panel can be folded up to get closer to the bow (at least it can on my Fisherman 236). There is also a filler panel that can be placed between the bow seating that can be used as a full bow platform without the cushions for fishing or for lounging with the cushions in. Is that Grady in your picture or my 236 perfect fishing boats, no. I have been told many times when taking people out for cruises that my boat was the most comfortable, nicest 23’ CC they have ever seen. One friend called it the “Cadillac” of fishing boats. If you want a pure fishing CC, there are many out there with an open bow. I chose my Grady because I enjoy fishing, sightseeing rides as well as relaxing days on the sandbar. Just my opinion.

Reactions: GH236

Kennybuck

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
- I think a new size bow rider would be higher on the list than a pilot house add.
- If you they are not draining, then your scuppers are underwater I'd say. There is excessive weight in the boat or the scuppers are too low. Once they started strapping 4S on the back of these boats they should have raised them.
- Good idea on the hand rails but I'd want a thicker hardtop and cored with Coosa as well. Current design can't hold weight, is cored with balsa (unless changed) and is the thinnest layer of glass I've ever seen. It's a step above a bimini.

My ideas
- Fix the transom area and really focus on overbuilding it. Too many leaks, too many transom issues and I have to believe too much embarrassment by this point. Eliminate the bang plate and glass 100%. Get rid of anything screwed in that area (plastic pieces etc). Get rid of the brass drain tubes and glass in either glass or plastic tubes.
- Provide access for and a maintenance plan for dealers to do scupper line maintenance, put one way valves for emergencies and plump the valve hard to the scupper. Safety first.
- Make more parts avail to the customer base and be reasonable on the mark up. Expand your parts business aka Harley Davidson. No part should go end of life, hold stock based on units sold and age. I think they could make a super business if they figured this out. Can be a hedge to the core business in downtimes. Develop upgrade and refresh kits that customers can buy. Man, there is a lot in this space they could do if they wanted to be innovative and focus on it.
- Review the hatch and access designs on all models. Don't screw decks into fiberglass and use that and caulk to hold in. Eliminate the black rubber tabs that are stuffed in spots to mitigate fiberglass to fiberglass noise. If you need a pad, adhere a 100% pad around the entire seal so it is permanent.
- Really 100% no wood boats. Eliminate it 100% period. Never screw through the core. Cut core and provide glass plug keepout area for screws to pass through a part without touching the core.
- Screw in deck plates on the transom. Install with 4200 vs silicone.
- Before rub rail is installed. Seal the liner/hull joint before installing it. Too many stories of balsa coring (which should be gone) turning to mush on bigger boats.
- Buy a few top tier boats and destructively teardown to see what the competition is doing. Use higher end bonding and sealants (Plexus and Life Caulk come to mind) where needed.
- Benchmark and tour other manufacturers (pretend to be a buyer) and see what others are doing especially areas you are weak in.
- Put a wiring program in place and improve wiring techniques, labeling and materials (tinned wire). It doesn't have to be done to Hylas standards, but step it and dress it up better.

Kennybuck

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I second your comments regarding parts. I dont know a boat owner that hasn’t had to fix or replace boat parts multiple times a year. Most owners are capable to make the fixes.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They did raise the scuppers, and move the fuel tank forward when the 4 strokes came out. They can only raise them so high before they don't work at all...i use the ping pong balls without issue. Maybe a bigger engine bracket to add some flotation would help support the weight of the kicker that most of us add. Not that it matters...they don't build the damn boat anymore.
I was looking at replacement scuppers awhile back because the cheap rubber ones on my boat look like they need to be replaced, and came across this company, which appear to make some very nice quality products. In the next couple weeks I'll order a set and see how they work on my boat, I think they look a bit better than the ping pong ball scuppers and hear those can get clogged up with debris somewhat easily.

Reactions: SeanC

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I wasn't a GW fan but when a 2004 180 came my way at a good price I bought it. I like it for fishing, bigger than 18ft seems.

After hearing about the GW reputation for decades, when I did end up with it I didn't expect to have to pay for the bang cap area to be repaired or for the plywood deck core to be wet, quite a let-down.

My thoughts, build boats that live up to the hype. Why are there still bang plates and transom issues? Start there.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

BobH1

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Waiting on new trailer so I can bring new to me '95 268 to the house. Seen lots of items to replace other systems just need a little attention. Do not understand designs that do not allow for easy access. This will be my first GW. Won't be going offshore to fish, just cruise around Delmarva.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wow. Grady needs to see this.

I feel bad for starting this because in spite of my complaints, I bought a 2020 Grady 228 and most of the problems have been sorted.

I love my 228, it is a great boat, but yeah, it could be better. I think the advice that Grady should walk around every other major brand and see what they have done better is great.

To you guys talking about the fragile hard top, my hard top is beefy as you know what. I could put a fly bridge up there and be fine.

All of the points made, I want to say this. My 2020 Grady is pretty sorted. Yeah, when they went 4 stroke heavier engines they should have raised the scuppers. If that is my biggest problem, go Grady. I'm only into a couple of years but so far the support has been great, the boat has been great. We shall see.
Don't worry, you'll have your share of issues in the years to come. It takes about 10 years of ownership to see many of them.
Ask GW if you can install a life raft on the hardtop - nope. It really isn't that stable. Yea you can walk around on it. If you put that much weight on it in decent seas than pound, then you will have issues. If not the top itself, the mounts where water will get in and soak the wood.
4S outboards have been on the back of GWs since 2001. They still have not addressed the scuppers?
Just sayn, there are fan boys and then there are the good, the bad and the ugly aspects. I think they need to raise their game.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As far as parts go, I think you would be hard pressed to come up with 5 things on your boat that Grady manufactures, other than molded fiber glass. I can't think of any, unless they have a sewing/upholstery shop somewhere, that they actually own. Grady makes hulls, they assemble boats from parts made by third parties, as is the case with most boat makers. I'm not sure they owe anyone a lifetime of replacement parts, how long do the big carmakers stock OEM parts for older models.
Trying to maintain your boat with OEM parts from a Grady dealer just sucks money out of your pocket, when you can source the same parts on the web, often directly from the manufacturer. Has anyone ever seen a GW parts warehouse?

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
I think the hardtop depends on the model. I had a canister raft on my 33 and my 36. The 33 I only had 3 years and the 36 I had 11. No issues. I installed them correctly, sealed them, correctly, hardtop was like new on both boats when I got rid of them. Poor install will ruin anything. Smaller boats may not have the same thickness in the hardtop. My current boat (306) doesn’t have the room once the electronics are up there. I always mounted them (33 and 36) so they straddled a support if possible.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As far as parts go, I think you would be hard pressed to come up with 5 things on your boat that Grady manufactures, other than molded fiber glass. I can't think of any, unless they have a sewing/upholstery shop somewhere, that they actually own. Grady makes hulls, they assemble boats from parts made by third parties, as is the case with most boat makers. I'm not sure they owe anyone a lifetime of replacement parts, how long do the big carmakers stock OEM parts for older models.
Trying to maintain your boat with OEM parts from a Grady dealer just sucks money out of your pocket, when you can source the same parts on the web, often directly from the manufacturer. Has anyone ever seen a GW parts warehouse?
A lot of the parts aren't Grady White specific parts but are oftentimes ones that might not have a manufacturer name or part number on the back of them. Then you have to call them up to ask what you need, where you can get it and feel almost obligated to ordering through them since they told you what and where to get the item from. It would be much easier if they had a cross-reference sheet or website for part numbers as well as vendors or manufacturers so that they wouldn't become inundated with people calling in on boats that yes, are likely 10-15+ years old.

Also, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison but there's a multitude of different vendors and websites out there that offer aftermarket parts, accessories and just about anything else that you could ever need for classic mustangs. I've got a 1965 mustang fastback that you can get parts from Summit Racing, Jegs, CJ Pony Parts, National Parts Depot, Rock Auto, eBay, Craigslist as well as dozens and dozens and dozens, maybe hundreds more. And that's just online... there's O'Reilly's, Napa, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, even Walmart has some auto parts and accessories, as well as several other specific mustang vendors that live nearby. The same can be said about a lot of classic cars... anything from Camaro's, Corvette's, Mopars and just about anything else that has even the slightest bit of popularity.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I said my piece about their problems so now I'll defend them a little

They buy what is availabe when they manufacture. When they can't get that from vendors anymore they get the next new thing. They are not going to tie up money for 20 years so they can sell a light fixture to someone with a 20 year old boat....who will then complain about the price they would have to charge for sitting on it for 20 years. You can just go buy something new in a Marine Supply store.
Thats how it works. Its not a classic car. There is no industry built up around remanufacturing obsolete boat parts so you can keep them "original".

IMO the Grady bubble hardtops are probably the best feature of a Grady White. They are built strong and heavy...maybe too heavy. If you have a 20 footer don't expect a tower like a 31 Bertram.