What do you do with your rods while trailering?

OceanSun

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Our battle-wagons look like porcupines when out on the water with rods in holders, downriggers, rocket launchers, etc. - especially when on longer trips that may include multiple types of fishing (think Neah bay with salmon rods, halibut rods, spinning rods for seabass, etc. for everyone on board). Question is, what do you do with all those rods when trailering? Obviously leaving them in the rocket launcher(s) and driving under a bridge is not the way I want to refresh my rod collection. Have any of you come up with a good solution for all those rods while trailering?

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I've got holders for up to 17/18 in the cabin. 3 on each bulkhead in the fold down holders, 3 on the starboard overhead, 2 a bit inboard on each side that go through those grommets up front (and can take 7-1/2' or better) and a total of five that go on the port overhead (there's a mismatch between the mounted wooden cutouts and the forward hangars so I either double one up or keep it angled down to the port bulkhead if I use it), could probably squeeze one or two more in there if I really felt the need. The heavy offshore trolling gear typically gets wrapped and placed on the bunk as I find that to be more stable for those rigs than anything else.

IMG_3673.jpeg IMG_3672.jpeg IMG_3671.jpeg IMG_3670.jpeg IMG_3669.jpeg.

Reactions: Chutch

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
On my smaller 208, I just lay them on the deck. Not elegant, but it works for me.
I have a 208 as well. Rod length is an issue in the cabin (one piece rods). I remove the anchor locker panel and there is enough room for 7ft rods to lay down with tips poking into the locker.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Peter - I have definitely thought about that, but I just rather keep that area clean. Most times I have about 8-10 rods, once on the ramp they get put into rod holders and I am off. That works much better for, my rods may take a bit of beating though.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
for sure that is just for transport and storage. As soon as the boat is boarded all those rods gotta go to the hardtop (if you have one) that’s 6 slots, plus the four in gunwale holders and four under the gunwale and remaining 4 2-pc can stay in the cabin. That’s a max capacity of 18 rods total (which I don’t have) but actually more like 16 as I will put a net up, a bait net and a boat hook somewhere.

Evven when going sandbar hopping and cruising, gotta put the rods out to free up the cabin. Not too much trouble, takes just a few mins.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
With my 228 when I am trailering I have 4 in the vertical rod holders in front of the live bait tank. Two in the holders under the gunwales. The others gunwale holders hold gaffs and a tag pole. Four in the cabin roof holders and the rest on the cabin bunk. For longer rods in the cabin I also remove anchor locker panel like Peter A. Once on the water I move the rods out of the cabin into the hardtop rod holders. If I have bought my stand-up 80lb outfits I leave them I the cabin until I need them.

Reactions: Peter A

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I honestly just set mine on the cushions inside the cabin and have never had an issue in doing so before. I've got four rods, two downriggers, a tackle bag and a few other small things in there like rear cushions or canvas. I keep the boat pretty "bare bones" as I leave it out on a mooring buoy all summer in front of my beach cabin and don't really need much out on the boat that I don't already have at the cabin.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
No hard top on my boat. I just installed a bunch of rod holders on the railing. My boat looks like a porcupine out there.