What do you like and dislike about your Grady?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread to ask owners why a Grady and your overall experience.

I'm a two Grady boat owner (282 and 300) both were new. What I really like:
- Proven hull design. The 300 ride feels like a much bigger boat and 300 to 282 was like moving from a yacht from a boat. It isn't a wet hull and can handle anything I can throw at it.
- Easy maintenance. (outside and cabin).
- Simplicity of systems. I've found I can fix just about anything.
- GW Cust service and dealers support. I've had a couple of problems and they have both stood behind the product 100%. Even when things didn't go 100% my way I felt they listened and treated me fairly.
- Reliability. 13 years between the two boats and no major breakdown or problems with either boat or motor.
- Saftety. I've never felt that I wouldn't get in. I've had about 3 really bad weather days when either I should have not gone out or it just turned bad on me. I had white knuckes, but the boats performed and got me back.
- Improvements considered and rolled in. There were a few design quirks I really didn't like, but you can tell GW listens and makes changes based on customer input. Rear hatch access was a big one for me. Having to pull the deck and caulk every year stinks. Fixed in new models.

My suggestion for some improvements.
For the larger boats - consider a starboard helm configuration like the 300 and Pursuit OS385. This would maximize seating and give much cleaner cabin access IMHO, but I understand I may be in the minority as folks seem to like the center helm.
Maybe develop a sharper parts focus in this area and offer parts for all boats. Some can be provided by GW direct, some by dealers, others have a catalog so they can be ordered from the manufacturer. It can be done today, but in some cases you need to do some leg work.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
My experience is quite different. I'm just a one Grady owner, although I did purchase my 80's vintage Sailfish new. It has what was then believed to be a proven modified deep V hull, but then Grady changed it. There's a trade off in the new design, but don't tell anyone.

Fishtales said:
Simplicity of systems. I've found I can fix just about anything.
I've found I can break just about anything, and if I don't, my crew will. Most things are simple to fix once you've purchased some new tools and done it a few times.

Fishtales said:
GW Cust service and dealers support.
My dealer went out of business long ago. The nearest dealer is 100 miles away, but I've pretty much figured things out for myself.

Fishtales said:
Improvements considered and rolled in.
In some cases, "improvements" add cost, and when they do, there's always a question of value. While Grady's were once just nice fishing boats, they've become a luxury brand. Whether that's good or bad depends upon your checkbook. The fact that I've kept my boat for as long as I have speaks well for its utilitarian design as a fishing boat, and that's the bottom line.

mronzo

Reaction score
All of the pluses you mentioned for my '00 265 Express!
My boat has a lot of space in the bilge at the stern. I wish
the boat had swing open hatches to access that space.
It would also be helpful when servicing the
rear bilge pump, the live well pump and the 2 stroke oil system!
I had to remove the caulked and screwed in panels to get to
the oil pump on the side of the oil tank. With hatches all these jobs would be much
quicker!
A few years back someone here had modified the panels to make hatches,
I wish I had the talent!

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've only owned my Sailfish 27 for one season but really like the layout and that fact that I feel that no corners were cut in building this thing compared to the other 8 or so boats I have owned in the past. Everywhere I need something to grab - there is something to grab. Everywhere it needs to be stiff - if is stiff. Where I need a cup-holder or a storage compartment or a cleat, there's a cup holder, storage compartment, or a cleat. And the cleat, like everything else on the boat, is beefy - maybe even beefier then necessary in some cases.

All the subsystems, from the sanitary system, to the outriggers, to the remote spotlight are of top quality - no corners cut here either.

I feel safe in this boat - even at 50 MPH. I didn't realize that walkaround style boats could even hit 50 MPH until I got this thing.

I like that the walkaround is actually big enough to walk around and that since this model has a 9.5 foot beam, the cabin is still big enough for my family's needs.

GW Customer service has been very helpful even though my boat is almost 20 years old. I have felt that they are treating me the same way they would treat a newer boat owner.

One minor gripe I have is wishing for a draw or two as my model has no draw space in the cabin. My main worry is all the wood coring.

Cheers,
-Scott

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I agree with most assessments with one major addition to the gripe list:

-my dad owned an Overnighter and we now own the Voyager. The problem is the same even on the new boats... not nearly enough storage space for critical boating gear. I love how boat manufacturers always show cabins decked out like someone's living/dining room. The reality is most cabins look like a disaster area. Make designated spaces for life jackets (where mold won't grow) and bumpers. Both are essential and I don't think I've seen a manufacturer that has yet to address this well.

noXcuse

Reaction score
For being 30 years old, I don't have many real gripes about my Seafarer. It was recently updated to a 5.0L EFI Mercruiser, so it has many years left. My only complaint is when I'm in 3' head seas with head winds, it is a VERY wet ride. Here in the Lower Chesapeake Bay, you will see close 3' seas quite often. Alot of times they're white-capping. 3' rolling seas aren't bad at all though.

One thing that I would definitely like to see on future models (and I know I won't), is the option for inboard power. At least on the bigger boats. I would like to upsize one day to the newer hull design. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the 93-94 year models that have the inboard option. If I were to purchase a new boat, it would not be a GW solely for that reason. If they offered it, I'd be all over it.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have a 272 and like everything about it except 2 things that to me were a design flaw. -- Oil fill . I cannot see the tank/ fill pipe so I am constantly getting some 2 stroke oil spilled into the motor well that has open scuppers. 2 I would prefer to have the boarding ladder on the Starboard side where the fish door is. The ladder could have a fiberglass hinged cover over it so as not to incumber bringing a large fish on board. Other than that I hope to keep my 272 forever. Marty

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
If I could change one thing on the 228 it would be to add 6 to 8 inches in the beam. I like the 228 as it seems to be a pretty darn good 22 footer, but the beam is a bit narrow for the design of the companion way or walkthrough space between the helm chair and the mate chair. I am not a big guy, I am 5' 5" and 170 pounds with a 34 inch waist and the arms on the chairs just stick out a tad too far especially with a fishing shirt on. Having 6 more inches there would be really nice.

It would also be nice to have a hatch in front of the livewell to acces the bilge versus going through either side under the stern seats.

The boat is a little wet in taking quartering seas so maybe add a bit more flare to the bow knock that spray down some more.

I dont like the rod holders mounted on the sides of the verticle supports for the hard top. In smooth seas they are fine but if you are sitting in either of the seats which are on top of the fish boxes and ice chests, and the seas are bumpy you hit your head on those side mounted rod holder tubes.

Oh, ya if Grady did all this having an even swap for a new boat with all these new designs in them would be nice too. Bring in your old 228 and will give you a new one free kind of thing (lol)....

The 22 foot SeaVee 2 hull in my opinion while just 22 feet long rides very well. I am impressed with the big boat capable hull in a small boat hull package. I have taken my 228 on 600 mile journey two years ago in the Bahamas (over 600 miles there and back and putting around in the islands) and never did I feel unsafe. I did cross with other boats though and the seas were kind. Anyway, they do make a great 22 footer that is for sure even with these "flaws" I would change.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have been on the water for decades but am new to Grady ownership. I've been on many friends Grady's, I know what they are and I purchased my Grady now because of the solid seaworthy boat that it is. That would be my "like". As for the dislike well..unfortunately it's reputation and name makes every replacement part however generic unreasonably expensive.
The value in this boat is its layout and its solid well designed hull. That's well worth paying more for. The ridiculous pricing of parts is where a rod holder doubles in price because of the GW stamp. No rod holder is worth $100 and the Grady plastic vent window pull at $50 each instead of a generic piece from Taylor at $20 for a pair is just throwing away money. If the one with the Grady stamp was that much better then why are both of mine broken?
This is like overpaying for motorcycle parts because its from Harley Davidson.
You've got to focus on what the item is needed for, how well it fills that need, if it will last, and not whether or not there is a GW stamp on it.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We are on our third new Grady. The single most important thing that brings us back to Grady is the confidence instilled by the people associated with the brand. I truly believe they would do all they can to keep a customer happy.

And they make a darn good boat too. I especially like the dedication to safety and seaworthiness. There are a few other high-end boats that may be made as well as a Grady but I don't know that the people would stand behind the product as well. They might, but Grady has not given me any reason to test those waters.

Rob

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well
A GW was never on my short list because the price scared me away. But my wife on the other hand always lusted over GW's and fell in love with the Freedom 225 she saw at a local boat show. So if I was going to get a permission slip for a new boat it was going to be a GW Freedom 225 and if the numbers worked that was fine with me. The boat was expensive but my local dealer (TriState Marine) made me an offer I couldn't refuse and now I have one!!! My old Parker 21 WAC was a great boat, but that said I like everything about my new GW more then my old boat. Except maybe for the trim tab planes which I think are too small. The fact my wife likes the boat works for me because I get to use it more...... because she likes to go out in it too. We also enjoy doing things with the Chesapeake Bay GW Club.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
If I could change one thing on the 228 it would be to add 6 to 8 inches in the beam. I like the 228 as it seems to be a pretty darn good 22 footer, but the beam is a bit narrow for the design of the companion way or walkthrough space between the helm chair and the mate chair. I am not a big guy, I am 5' 5" and 170 pounds with a 34 inch waist and the arms on the chairs just stick out a tad too far especially with a fishing shirt on. Having 6 more inches there would be really nice.

It would also be nice to have a hatch in front of the livewell to acces the bilge versus going through either side under the stern seats.

The boat is a little wet in taking quartering seas so maybe add a bit more flare to the bow knock that spray down some more.

I dont like the rod holders mounted on the sides of the verticle supports for the hard top. In smooth seas they are fine but if you are sitting in either of the seats which are on top of the fish boxes and ice chests, and the seas are bumpy you hit your head on those side mounted rod holder tubes.

Oh, ya if Grady did all this having an even swap for a new boat with all these new designs in them would be nice too. Bring in your old 228 and will give you a new one free kind of thing (lol)....

The 22 foot SeaVee 2 hull in my opinion while just 22 feet long rides very well. I am impressed with the big boat capable hull in a small boat hull package. I have taken my 228 on 600 mile journey two years ago in the Bahamas (over 600 miles there and back and putting around in the islands) and never did I feel unsafe. I did cross with other boats though and the seas were kind. Anyway, they do make a great 22 footer that is for sure even with these "flaws" I would change.

Thanks ! You saved me time writing because you said everything that I would have said..exactly ! My only comment to you is that when the wind is blowing hard off the quarter in choppy seas, there are not a lot of boats that stay completely dry...no less a 22 footer.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What I like, well you'd be pretty hard pressed to fit more into the Sailfish and still have the same excellent layout.

Dislikes:
I wish it had a little more deadrise
The windshield is too low.
The scuppers sat at or under the waterline (stock).
Just an little more butt room for the head.
The glasswork was a little shoddy under the deck.

All in all I don't have any short term plans to get rid of her.

gradydriver

Reaction score
I love the ride in the nasty chop we get in the Ocean City inlet....I love the Passion for boating that the people who work at Grady-White have....go to the factory....you will feel it too....I love the fit and finish of my Grady and fact that they overbuild everything.

I hate the caulk that gets all mildewy.... :mrgreen:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
LIkes;
1.) Customer service.
2.)The "look" of the boat and the big-water vibe it gives off.
3.) Well-built.

Dislikes
1.) Leaky cabins. I've had a Seafarer and a Gulfstream, both cabins leaked..Unacceptable for what you pay for new Gradys.
2.) The plastic arms used to open the Port & Starboard triangular side vent windows. Boat's built like a battleship and they install plastic for the vents. Huh??

All in all, a great boating experience. I'd buy another.

billyttpd

Reaction score
Interesting thread! I agree with a most all the comments I read here is my 2 cents

I have a 96 Adventure and I'm happy with it. The only thing two things I don't like is there isn't room enough on the bow for a windlass and the stern well splash guard. The Sea Vee2 hull rides great but I've been on an Overnighter and that boat has a small fish box at the splash well and a storage space a little forward of the helm with a lift up hatch. The Adventure got rid of these and that was a step backward. the 20' Freedom still has the fishbox (Hint Hint nudge nudge if any Grady designers happen to read this)
I agree with family affair about cabin storage for important items. The Adventure has a supposedly larger cabin but not enough to matter. My adventure cabin is good for privacy using the head and a nap that's about it. Kids probably think its huge but Im 5'11 225 so it feels "cramped"

The introduction a few years back of the Fisherman 230 Freedom 25 and reintroduction of the Tournament/Freedom19 to me is proof positive that Grady still thinks of the 25' and under market. In coming years I would like to see the beam on the 20 and 22 foot line increased to 8'6" as well. If I close my eyes and dream it I see a 21 foot Overnighter with a Sea Vee 2 Hull and a 8'6" beam. All the aforementioned likes of the Overnighter with a Sea Vee 2 Hull stretched out a bit. Grand slam in my book and I think I would find a few people that would agree.

They are going to give the bay boat thing a whirl so we may have to wait a bit but it seems the last few years the big models have been getting all the attention so the coming around for the smaller market
Other than that I believe Striper and Pro Line offer an "Alaskan package" or something like that on there 23-26 models. Basically a full windshield hardtop design on there walkaround. Hmmm Pilothouse design to compete with Parker and Steigercraft....Us Northeast and the Pacific Northwest boaters might raise an eyebrow.

Looking at the Atlantic and Tigercat models shows Grady is willing to think outside the box and try something new. As I said before an Atlantic 370 might be a winner especially with triple Yamaha 350s if at 37 feet it retained that "trawler" look that the Atlantic 26 had.

And cant agree with Lt. Mike anymore because I am lucky enough to own GW and HD...the parts are expensive to have them initials on them.

GulfSea

Reaction score
bayrat said:
SmokyMtnGrady said:

Thanks ! You saved me time writing because you said everything that I would have said..exactly ! My only comment to you is that when the wind is blowing hard off the quarter in choppy seas, there are not a lot of boats that stay completely dry...no less a 22 footer.

And you saved me the time writing as well!

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had 3 new Gradys. Started with a 22 Seafarer. Great boat,excellent workmanship, superior product support, but I got foot-itis....went to the 27 Sailfish. Another great boat only issue was accessing the remote oil pumps. One morning the wife woke up on a scalloping trip to St Joe Bay and said "you know, if this boat was 5 feet longer we would be much more comfortable"....I said "honey I can make that happen" hence the Marlin. Better boat for what I do, boat takes more water than I am willing to take on. Workmanship is terrific, boat is basically awesome. Only beef was access to the fuel water separators. I had a panel added to fix that problem, and newer Marlin's come with that access panel. Only other issue I have had with both the Sailfish and the Marlin is the plastic hinges on the radio boxes. The sun eats them up.

fishin trip

Reaction score
I agree with the comments about the 228 seats and im also a small fellow. Also on my previous 208 the bulkhead at the cabin rotted out and i think this will happen on my 2005 228.They should put something like starboard a foot up from the deck so it would not absorb water when you wash your boat.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We LOVE our Tournament 225... I mean L.O.V.E. it... I can only think of one thing that needs to be addressed in future models (scuppers) but it is an overwhelmingly good experience to own it. We are a family of 5, and we regularly take another family with us on the Long Island sound. The boat is solid, comfortable, solid, reliable, solid, spacious and solid. It's also a very flexible "day boat" design that allows us to fish, ski/tube, you name it. The 250 Yamaha is excellent power for this boat, and it can handle a boat load of people and drag our three-person tube as well.

The storage is excellent. I hear this complaint all the time, and I think people should take a new look at dual consoles.

Love the "glove compartment" style compartment for electronics. We have a 10" garmin screen in there (fits perfectly) and still a place for the wallet keys, iPhone etc to stay dry and safe.

The full transom and swim platform work really well too. Little kids stay safe in the cockpit, easy on and off for swimmers. We appreciate the permanent swim ladder location. It's always there when you need it.

Things that I am unhappy with:

It has never given us a problem, but I wish the scuppers weren't right at the waterline.

I just asked my wife if there was anything that she doesn't like about it. She replied that she doesn't like putting it away every winter because we live in the northeast!

Respectfully Submitted,

Mike