What does this screw do?

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
What is this screw called and what does this do? The screw may have broken off inside the casing.
Yamaha F150.

thanks I’m advance!

Attachments

• BCD2CDB7-FCA9-43E9-AC2C-96E5D547A057.jpeg
    BCD2CDB7-FCA9-43E9-AC2C-96E5D547A057.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think that may be the grease fitting for the pivot tube is sheared off. A small screw extractor will remove it. I don't have that model motor but that's my best guess. You should find it is hollow if you insert an ice pick in to it.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think that may be the grease fitting for the pivot tube is sheared off. A small screw extractor will remove it. I don't have that model motor but that's my best guess. You should find it is hollow if you insert an ice pick in to it.
Did you see that loose wire? Is that a grounding wire of some sort?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Did you see that loose wire? Is that a grounding wire of some sort?
You will have to follow its' path but I would guess it to be the ground for the tilt/trim motor or a ground for the anode system. Not being the one looking at the thing makes it difficult to speak intelligently but you have the benefit of being there so your input carries more weight. Where is the other end of that wire?

seasick

Reaction score
I looked at a diagram for a mid 2000 F150 and noticed something interesting. It looks like there is a grease (zerk) fitting in that area AND a ground wire connects under the fitting. I can't remember seeing that config before but that could explain the unconnected wire ring. See if that wire and ring reaches the spot where the fitting is broken off.

I have been pretty successful removing sheared off grease fittings using a screw extractor.
Note that the grounding wire from the lower unit to the bracket is really important. It directs stray currents to the sacrificial anode and not the lower unit aluminum.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Seasick is correct. Mine had the same. If you use a Mywedge engine support, you can't place it on the right side of the tilt/trim unit without shearing the zerk/ground off. The PO of my boat warned me. To prevent me and my crew from doing the same I took a larger marker and wrote "Left" on both of my supports. Made it 2 seasons without an issue. Hopefully the new Zukes won't have that issue!

Reactions: Halfhitch

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you all - yep - you guys are accurate, zerk fitting with a grounding wire. Thanks for the feedback and quick responses!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Interesting. Starboard engine outboard side. Mine looks like the first picture too! Wire hanging and zerk fitting gone. And I use a wedge.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Too bad My Wedge doesn't design around that. Here is an image right off Amazon. Notice anything??;)
41w6rzpB1DL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yep, not a good design. Hookup, I was told that is a zerk fitting for a pivot tube and should be fixed. I am thinking mine broke off using the wedge (same one in above pic) or cleaning the boat. I'll need to be more careful when cleaning up and leaving the ramp - make sure the wedge is on the PORT side!
Thanks all!