What is this worth 1997 G.White 208 Adventure w/ Yamaha 150

Zrob

Reaction score
Well I am looking for a boat, and since I am new to this I thought I would check in. Its the end of season (soon N.East) and I was wondering what one of these used would go for on average and what do they cost new?

This one is a used 1997 208 Adventure w/ Yamaha 150 also a 1997, What would you expect to pay used Vs. buying new??

Thanks.

KingJ

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you’d be safe to assume the brand new boat - with all the necessities, electronics and not - would be triple the cost of the ‘97, but quadruple the worth. Say, like 20K vs. 60K?

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Check yachtworld and boattrader, the range right now is huge on used boats and everyone is willing to deal.

New; the boat will be 50k++ after your finished......you will have new technology and a warranty but will lose 10k by driving off the lot.

Zrob

Reaction score
OK, so I am just doing some more consideration and figures. If I had to replace the motor on the 1997, with a new Yamaha 4S 150hp what would that cost?

Thanks for those links I will have a look!

Zrob

Reaction score
I been looking at those links, whats the difference between 208 Weekender and the 208 Adventure?

SlimJim

Reaction score
Zrob said:
OK, so I am just doing some more consideration and figures. If I had to replace the motor on the 1997, with a new Yamaha 4S 150hp what would that cost?

Thanks for those links I will have a look!
A lot. Its 15k to 18k to repower. (More then the hull is worth)

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I thought the earlier model was the 204 'Overnighter'. With the SV2 update they called it the 208 Adventure.

A new F150 is probably about $13-14K installed. They do come up for sale as low-hour take-offs, going for around $10G's.

Depending on how you'll use your boat, the four-stroke is 'adequate' power. It gets up and goes just fine, even with 5-6 people, will cruise at 26-27, top out close to 40. Its quiet, and gets great fuel economy. However...the big however...if you do mostly flat-water boating, or water sports on lakes, like water skiing, you'll want more power. Go with the 200 or 225. My choice would be a 175 or 200 E-tec. They are as light as the F150 (or lighter) and put out a lot more power, faster accelleration, much higher performance. Just don't let southeastFl read this, he hates e-tecs. :wink: You would cruise at or around 30, and your top speed will bump over 40. More importantly, they get out of the hole - up on plane faster. A big motor will literally jump out of the water. The F150? - not so much.

I was going to sell off my F150 and put a 175 etec on there, but it was going to cost me 4-5 grand, and I had just put over 40G's buying my boat. As it turns out our boating is almost entirely in ocean and it is very rarely calm enough to even make over 30mph. So the 150 has worked out just fine.

richie rich

Reaction score
CJ, make up your mind.....are you bias towards Etec's or bias towards Yamy's? Tough to tell. If you had to put twins on your boat, would you buy one of each?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
CJ, make up your mind.....are you bias towards Etec's or bias towards Yamy's? Tough to tell. If you had to put twins on your boat, would you buy one of each?

LOL. Yeah, that's the ticket!

As we've discovered, there are a lot of pros and cons. :twisted:

My etec was a 75hp, it was great. I don't have experience with the big motors, but the guys that have them seem to like them. I did get a quote for a 175 with install on mine. It's the same block as the 200, you get the 25 more ponies on top, so it made sense to save the grand or so and just go for the 175. Was still going to cost me about 4 grand to make the trade though.

I have no issues with the motor, but I do with the potential loss of resale, and with the shakey future of the company. If Bombardier sells it off, then what happens?

The Yam 200 is a real dog...ask Bama96 :roll: It's the same block as the 225-250, so it's heavy. I think that's why the 150 is so popular, it's 4 cyl and a hundred pounds lighter. Too bad they don't set it up to be 175-185 or something - the block would handle it fine. Just tune the exhaust, change the cam timing, remap the computer, and voila - you've got more power.

I suppose a OPTI 200 would be a good motor? I don't know much about mercs. What bugs me about them is Brunswick - all the cheap boats run them. Everyone I've ever seen is noisy. Maybe those are just the old ones. Hmmm...there's my bias. :wink:

BTW, for zrob - the problem with repowering an older boat is you can't buy them cheap enough to warrant spending the money on a new motor. When you get done it's still worth less than what you've got in it. But it is a way to get into a reliable vessel for less. It's a real quandry. That's why I just chucked it in and bought a new one (almost :wink: ) No matter how you do it there's some depreciation on them. Boats are a great investment for enjoyment and recreation purposes only.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
The 200hp 2s SWSII yamaha on my boat works great for my needs, I have a hardtop, regularly carry fish/dive loads and/or 6-8 persons. The inlets in this area also require plenty of excess power which become a safety concern.

With 6 people my actual cruise is 28mph @ 10gph
If I repower it will be a 225 suzuki 4s, hands down. Yamaha would be great too if the $ work out.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I forgot about the suzukis. I have heard nothing but raves about them.

Their 175 is 490lbs, the 200 is another 100lbs though.

richie rich

Reaction score
See, I have to disagree with you guys about repowering or not repowering because of the realized value of the boat.....If a guy can't afford to buy a new or newer boat, what's wrong with getting a good hull that's off the depreciation books and putting on a new motor? He or she will have a terrific running older boat...so what? If you keep worrying about resale, the guy with less cash in his wallet will never buy a boat...he can't afford a newer one and he's scared of depreciation or resale of the older one. My sailfish is not that new and its not the SV hull, but so what? I've taken it through some heavy seas over the years and she runs fine...with a $30,000 pair of new engines I'll have a boat that will last me another 15-20 years for about $54,000 with all new electronics....that same boat new is somewhere in the $175-200 range with all the bells and whistles...maybe there are deals out there today because of the economy, but you can see the savings. You don't need to spend that kind of money for 150 hrs on the water....but you can catch fish with any new boat out there......so I say, if the hull is in great shape and you like the boat, buying a new power plant should not stop you.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can't afford a new one either, so if I went bigger I'd be looking at the same thing. But I think I would try to find one with more recent power, at least HPDI's before I spent $30K on motors. Yikes, two of them!

I don't disagree with you richie, the key is buying the hull cheap enough so you're not into it more than you could buy one that's already setup. Or can get some residual value out of the old motor(s) to offset the purchase of a new one.

When you get done, you may have $25K into a 15 year old boat with a new motor. Is that better than a 10 year old boat with 400 hours on it for $5K less? I'm just throwing numbers out there off the top of my head. My point is, the new motor is a given cost, the boat cost variable. When you get done, how does that compare to a later model you could buy for that much money? Obviously there's some value to having that new motor with a new warranty, reliability, etc..

And if the guy doesn't have the money for a newer boat, how can he buy an older one and then spend the money for a new motor? It's especially difficult to get that financed too, if that's a requirement. I think it's a little different situation with the bigger boat like yours where replacement cost is so high. And I agree, if the older hull is well cared for they are more than serviceable. I have no problem with older boats. :wink:

richie rich

Reaction score
To me, the motor is the key to being a happy boater....if I have a choice between a 10 year hull with a 400hour motor, or a 15 year hull in good condition with a fresh motor....I'll take the fresh motor....thats the peace of mind when you're 20+ miles offshore, not the faded gelcoat or bleached teak....Im more into fishing and don't mind not having the best looking boat around because when the friends and family are full of smiles, that slightly pitted T-top doesn't mean anything to me. I'm already a happy camper.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
In the same sense i'd repower my boat (if i didn't want to move up) in a heartbeat since its setup and works just the way I like it.

Even a 2 yr old boat with 50 hrs is a risk

Zrob

Reaction score
OK......lots to consider.

Leaning for a used Grady 208 Adventure 1998 year (max price rage for me) and most have 2S 150hp Yamaha's with 700 hrs on them. Going for $15K private party, at a broker there $20k.

So I might now be faced with some engine work down the road. But working on a two stroke is a little bit easier to do and maybe it can be rebuilt down the road.

In what year did they start putting the 4S on?

I would not be going to far out and always pretty close to land and other boaters.

Thanks for all the help here!

seasick

Reaction score
Zrob said:

Leaning for a used Grady 208 Adventure 1998 year (max price rage for me) and most have 2S 150hp Yamaha's with 700 hrs on them. Going for $15K private party, at a broker there $20k.

So I might now be faced with some engine work down the road. But working on a two stroke is a little bit easier to do and maybe it can be rebuilt down the road.

I would not be going to far out and always pretty close to land and other boaters.

There have been issues with wet/delaminated transoms on that boat. If you decide on it, have it surveyed.

Got Bass Charters

Reaction score
Just priced a 200hp yam 2 stroke, 12,000 for the motor,3000 for installation plus sales tax comes to well over 16,000. Decided to have my old 225hp refitted with rebuilt power head and a new block,price $3600 total with tax. On my 89 overnighter it stayed more in line with what the boat is worth.

Zrob

Reaction score
Got Bass Charters said:
Just priced a 200hp yam 2 stroke, 12,000 for the motor,3000 for installation plus sales tax comes to well over 16,000. Decided to have my old 225hp refitted with rebuilt power head and a new block,price $3600 total with tax. On my 89 overnighter it stayed more in line with what the boat is worth.

When you say a new block, does that include the pistons,crank, and bearings?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Zrob said:

I believe the HPDI's came out for 2000, the four strokes in 2002. The HPDI motor is very easy to live with. KingJ's 150hpdi is as quiet as my F150 and just a hint of exhaust if you're down wind. Faster get up and go. A lot of the boats were fitted with them past when the four strokes were introduced. Seems like it depends on what part of the country. I think by '04 most of them were four strokes.

If a SWSII motor has been well maintained they are certainly servicable. That's what you'll generally find on the 90's models.

A broker will entertain a lower offer, sometimes more readily than a private seller. But they will generally ask more in an ad than a private seller. I call it being proud of their offerings/listings. They can always go back to the seller and talk him into it. You never know 'till you're serious and read to buy. So it's best to just look for the best boat, then try to work a deal. Once you buy it you have to live with it so it's best to get what you really want, what you really like. It costs a lot to buy and sell and fit out to your liking.

If you're going to trailer pay attention to the trailer too. Leave enough in your budget for repairs, additions, and maintenance. Insurance is under $500 a year, in our state we have an annual property tax, it's about 1% of the value.

The $3g's for an install on a new ouboart sounds way high. Even if it's a day's job which it very well could be, that's still a grand or so. Unless they're lumping new controls and gauges in there with it, but even then it seems high. A rigging package is generally around a grand.

Working on a 2S is easier, but the newer models are still fuel injected and take some specialized knowledge. The lower units are all pretty similar. The old SWSII motors are pretty bulletproof, but before you buy have it checked out by a qualifed mechanic. Same with the hull, have it surveyed by some knowledgeable with this type of boat. They find things wrong that you and I miss.