What should I do?

Bama96

Reaction score
Well got my 02' Marlin on Wed. and took her out for the first time on Thursday. Fished all day and she ran great. I called the previous owner who had just traded the boat in. Friend of a friend. Wanted to ask him a few questions about the boat but I got some disappointing news. He asked me if they told me about the Yamaha gages being swapped out 4 yrs ago. He went on to say that the 731 hrs showing on the gage was wrong. He said the motors actually have close to 1100 hrs on the Yamaha F225s. He went on to say they have been flawless and have never given him a minutes trouble.

I was never told this by the dealer. The salesman who I dealt with told me the motors had 671 hours and sent me pics showing the 731 hours on the meter. When I called them yesterday they said they were unaware of the higher engine hours. They said the salesman who took the trade was out till Monday and they would check with him. The previous owner says they knew the real hours and should have disclosed it. He went on to say that they did not put top dollar in his trade due to the engine hours. I did buy it for exactly what they put in it but the fact that someone lied to me really ticks me off. They did say I could bring the boat back.

What should I do?

1. Take the boat back and get my money back?
2. Make them give me some type of compensation?
3. Forget about it and run them till they die?
4. Get an attorney?

This is hard to decide because I really like the boat and the boat is in great condition. I sea trailed it and checked it out but did not hook a laptop up to the engines. I assumed the 671 was correct. Guess you should never assume anything.

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if the engine hours bother you take it back, but if not get some money back for the difference.

Bama96

Reaction score
The hours really don't bother me that bad. What does is how they lied or did not disclose the hours. The reduced value amount due to higher hours is what I am trying to figure out.

jnkfarrow

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
The hours really don't bother me that bad. What does is how they lied or did not disclose the hours. The reduced value amount due to higher hours is what I am trying to figure out.

isn't that illegal not to disclose something, i know it is in real estate?

Bama96

Reaction score
jnkfarrow said:
Bama96 said:

isn't that illegal not to disclose something, i know it is in real estate?

I'm not an attorney but if they knew it and failed to disclose I would think so.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Get proof somehow that the actual hours are 1300.

Determine what kind of compensation you want or should have and go get it.

The diff. between 671 and 1300 hrs. account for several years of use. That matters

They lied to you..That matters too....

After you clear it up, enjoy the boat and try to put it behind you.

catch22

Reaction score
Tough call Bama.

I'm glad to see you finally found a new boat, but that would really pi$$ me off.

It's so easy for them to hook up a computer and see the history... and you know they did. Proving it, (in court) I think, would be a different story.

I also agree with Magicbill... big difference between 671 and 1300 hrs.

I know it's easy for me to say, (I'm not in your shoes) but if they said "you can bring it back", I would be there in a heart beat. Throw it back in their faces.... it's bull $h!t! Heck, they probably figured since you like the boat so much, their confident you wouldn't bring it back. Just another sleazy tactic. It would be nice to see them sh!t their pants, if you did.

I hate when some sleazy-a$$ salesman pulls this kind of under-handed crap. He knew it... they knew it... and it stinks!

I can certainly understand if you want to just leave things "as is" after all you went through looking and finally finding the right boat, but again... it's the priciple of things. At the very least, I'd like to see you get some kind of compensation. Maybe an extended warrenty on the motors?, (factory warrenty... not theirs :x ).

Bama96

Reaction score
They are still denying they knew it today in an e-mail. The prior owner says they did know and he told them. No reason for him to lie about it.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if it were me, i would not let it go. the engine computer cannot be changed for hours so the real numbers are in there. if you have an email that shows 671 i would make sure you keep that. find someone reputable to give you a price differential between 671 and 1300. go back to them and tell them you will settle it all for that number; otherwise, i would drop in the lap of an attorney. ron

Bama96

Reaction score
What is your opinion regarding the price difference in a 02' Yamaha F225 with 700 hrs and one with 1300 hrs? I think NADA had them at around $7K each at average book.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama96 said:
What is your opinion regarding the price difference in a 02' Yamaha F225 with 700 hrs and one with 1300 hrs? I think NADA had them at around $7K each at average book.

i think you need to find a local yamaha guy that you TRUST (hopefully it is the one you will service with 'cause i wouldn't bring my boat back to that dealer for nuttin'). they should be able to give you a retail value difference.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bama, if they knew about the hours the trade value of the boat is accounted for. If you bought the boat at the same value they gave the original owner, then you got a boat priced at 1300 hours not 671. I know and i can understand that what they did is WRONG, but if the boat checks out o.k(you got it serveyed, did you?) and you like it, just leave it alone. The money you gonna spend on the lawyer would be more than the difference in the hours would be. If the dealer is local to you and plan on taking the boat there for service, try to get a couple of services for free.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
New ones are about 15k/ea plus getting them hung, expensive.

There are double the hours on your engines. Those engines are seriously depreciated. Thats 600 hours you cannot get back, and thats alot of use.

I would get alot back, or give it back. Price of one engine maybe?

SlimJim

Reaction score
I would take the boat back or have them give me a credt of $2500 each engine. 5k scum bags

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I agree with Nothing Else Matters, you got the boat at a price that was consistent with its value. Yes, I would be BS as well and want to ring the dealer’s neck. However, from bitter experience I have gotten myself all worked up about things like this and in the end wished that I had just let it go.

While I would not get a lawyer involved and do not suggest returning the boat if you really like it. Here is a suggestion, play your hand and go after the dealer to commit to selling you two new engines when the time comes for their cost. They must have +/- 15% gm on these things which would equate to almost $5K savings to you. If you can get any of this do so in writing. In the end you do not get what you do not ask for and you will be far ahead of getting lawyers involved. If they refuse to do anything think hard about your next steps. How much aggravation are you willing to put yourself through and for what?

Islander

Reaction score
Ask the dealer for the computer print-out for each motor. It will show not only total hours, but hours for the various rpm ranges, as well as provide other information on how the outboards were run. I assume this kind of information is useful to help evaluate condition and value. If the hours are tilted to high speed runs for long distances versus trolling or slow cruising, I would think that would make a difference.

If the difference in value is not significant (say $1,000 or under), then isn't the real question the likelihood of near-term failure or substantial repairs which could drive you to buy two new outboards? That would be truly expensive.

If the boat is worth what you paid for it (as one post notes), then you may have trouble establishing damages, even if fraud were involved. If you cannot come to a satisfactory deal, a lawyer could quickly tell you if that is the case in your state. This could guide your ultimate decision on how to proceed. Consulting a lawyer does not mean you have to sue, but just know your rights if the dealer does not make a reasonable offer to you.

Good luck.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the hours are indeed over 1000, was the 1000 hour service done to them (isn't that $1K per engine)? As Islander said, how they were run will tell a lot. If they were run to the pins often get your money back, if normal cruising at the least get some money out of the dealer or at least a free 2K hour service for free IN WRITING. 600 hours shouldn't be much for a well maintained F series if what everyone says about them is true.

Bama96

Reaction score
I am getting a tech to do the computer read out tomorrow. The original owner says he has all the maintenance records. He is sending them to me. Those timing belts needed to be changed at 1000 hours. I hope this was done. I am lucky in that I have another dealer who is a family friend. He only deals with bass boats/pontoons but is a master tech with Yamaha. He works on a bunch of larger four strokes on deck boats/pontoons. He is going to go over them.

I guess the thing that burns me up is how they lied about it. The 1200+ hours on the motors is really not that bad if you divide that into their 8 year age. I guess 150 hours a year. Maybe if they won't give me any cash back I could hit them for some accessories. The boat needs new cockpit bolsters and I would like an aft bimini top to cover the deck. I really like the boat and it is in excellent condition for its age and 1200+ hour use :shock: Here are a few pics of her.
CIMG7293-2.jpg

CIMG7294-1.jpg

CIMG7296-1.jpg

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
further to my post, if you think that you paid a fair price for the boat (all other things equal) then you are basically satisfied. i don't know what the retail difference on the engines are. if it is significant, then i would proceed as noted. if it is pretty much a push, consider that you seem to have a good rapport with the prior owner and he has given comfort that the engines were fine when he let the trade go.

however, under no circumstance would i ever have any further involvement with that dealer. when they hook up the engines to the diag software, everything comes up (i had a yamaha rep walk me through one of my engine readouts - i'm sure there is a privacy issue lurking somewhere in there :lol: ). they clearly knew the amount of hours on those engines. how could you ever trust them on any repair they would ever do for you? ron