What's the beef about Grady on that other boating forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Guys:
When Kyle is sleeping I have been taking care of my business and surfing the web. I surfed THT reading topics of interest. I noticed when Grady White is brought up in a comparison type thread, folks just love to rag on the brand usually starting off with being over priced and then the wood stringers. What boat is perfect?

Ok, I know I drank some Grady kool aide, but if you like Grady or any other brand, so be it. It seems your favorite boat is the one you currently own. I just noticed some folks there just enjoy ragging on Grady. I find it odd, don't like Grady White, then don't buy one.

I agree some things Grady White could do better and clearly there are other boat companies who build very nice boats and some may actually be better. I get no thrills for telling folks who own Bayliners their boat is junk. I found THT from folks here and wonder how long that negative bias toward Grady has been there? Just wondering and killing some time. Now back to a meaningful and helpful thread.

:)

Workdog

Reaction score
The bias has always been there. You're an over sensitive sucker for trying to justify "overpaying for a crap boat" if you defend Grady; even while they try to justify their own boats that drain fish puke into the bilge. I say f-em. I enjoy my boat; that's all that matters. You know, I wonder why Grady wood is sooo bad, yet all the other custom carolinas use wood too? THT has a handful of offshore guys (and wannabees) that wouldn't consider any boat under 24 degrees deadrise worthy (and they're the biggest mouths on the site), while I wouldn't hit a dog in the azz with a 24 degree hull. A Grady 20 degree hull with a big aft cockpit is my ideal boat, and that's why I got one. Period.

232 GULF

Reaction score
I was also reading that recent Pursuit vs. Grady White thread on THT. It seems that EVERYONE agrees that the quality of the build favors Pursuit. Some say it isn't even close. I mean I know Pursuit is a TOP tier boat building company but I would think that the quality would be equal with Grady. A lil confusing as to why so many say the Pursuit is far superior :?:

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
232 GULF said:
I was also reading that recent Pursuit vs. Grady White thread on THT. It seems that EVERYONE agrees that the quality of the build favors Pursuit. Some say it isn't even close. I mean I know Pursuit is a TOP tier boat building company but I would think that the quality would be equal with Grady. A lil confusing as to why so many say the Pursuit is far superior :?:

Perhaps because some of GW's design features are indeed very cheap if not downright stupid. At the top of the list is how they caulk in the panel over the generator - have you ever seen such a ridiculous arrangement ? Even Pro-Line installs a very nicely done guttered and hinged hatch over their generator for the easiet of access.

And GW's bolt on bow pulpits look very cheap compared to other builders molded in ones. And their smoked plastic window coverings in the cabins of their walkaournds look like cheap junk compared to the heavy duty chromed windows that actually open some builders use.

GW has continually refused to update these issues yet they want to pass themselves off as a top quality builder and charge the highest of prices. And as long as GW owners come on forums and say they're still the greatest the company has no incentive to improve their boats and the owner laughs all the way to the bank over all the money he's saved himself.

G8RDave

Reaction score
232, Southeast is right. There are many things Grady could do better and that Pursuit does better. I'm not a boat builder, but from what I understand Pursuit uses a higher quality resin (is it vinylester?) than Grady uses among other things. All that said, I love my boat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Southeast, my windows on my 228 open? Do yours not? I was window shoping on an Express 330 (2008 model year) and the genset was easilt accessible with a hinged compartment door. Grady is nt Perfect and I will concede Pursuit does somethings better, maybe a lot of things. What I don't get is why folks rag on them so much? Some boats in the Grady line are fantastic, like the 225 and 228. I have checked out other 22s and Grady does maximize space and I love the ride of my boat. I think as the economy struggles, the best will innovate or go away.

I have looked at the Pursuit line of 33s and will likely check one out if things pan out for us over the next year or so. I think these debates are sily, it is like asking the difference between a lexus and acura or BMW vs Audi? I would be happy to drive any of them, but my boating addiction says otherwise....

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Grady Quality

Southeast FL is at best a pain in the A-- and at worst, has no idea what he's talkiing about. Read all of his posts and you will see he is generally very negative and a know it all.

I wish he would go back to THT. Does he even own a boat?

Ed

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Re: Grady Quality

Miss Sadie said:
Southeast FL is at best a pain in the A-- and at worst, has no idea what he's talkiing about. Read all of his posts and you will see he is generally very negative and a know it all.

Ed

The truth hurts doesn't it Ed. Same ole story, when you can't refute the facts you revert to making personal attacks. Its posts from people like you who contribute nothing to the discussion at hand and should be deleted.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My take on this is that when you have the best product others will compare there product to the best. You don't hear Pursuit comparing their boats to wellcraft.
There are several great boats and Grady White is one of them.
If I didn't like mine I'd buy a different boat.
I'm sticking with Grady.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
SE, do your windows open on your GW? The bow pulpit you said it looks cheap, but it may not actually be cheap? Do the pulpit bolts pose a weak point where water can penetrate over time? Sure does. Is the trade off of having an option for the pulpit or not for the buyer worth having two molds for the liner with one having the pulpit and the other not? I would imagine when done right a bolt on pulpit gives buyers a choice?

I can live with my decision on buying a Grady just like I am happy with my Toyotas. There are a lot cheaper built and poor quality boats than the Grady on the water too. I love the ride of the boat. I did not mean to start another kool aide drinking thread...

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Re: Grady Quality

SoutheastFL said:
Miss Sadie said:

Ed

The truth hurts doesn't it Ed. Same ole story, when you can't refute the facts you revert to making personal attacks. Its posts from people like you who contribute nothing to the discussion at hand and should be deleted.

Why is it we get a jackass like you in every forum. I know people like you get off on this kind of banter but after a while its time to move on. We all like our boats and thats why we come to a forum like this due to a common interest. You dont have the same interest so why are you here???

If your just a troll that will not help out fellow boaters then leave.

Better yet the mods should ban you since you add nothing to the forum.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Molded in bow pulpits are not quality in my opinion. Look around at top tier boats like Little Harbor(like Hinckley) power boats or high end custom offshore fishing yachts with pulpits ... most, if not all, are bolt on. The guy in the slip next to me(with a 40' Little Harbor Whisper Jet) had his pulpit ripped up(while in the slip) by another boater who couldn't operate his boat in windy conditions and paniced (I watched it happen). The noise that made was sickening and I expected to see the front of his hull all torn apart... but instead his pulpit was ripped up at a 90* angle and his hull was perfect. The pulpit bolts never budged preventing other major damage. The Little Harbor people came down and took off his pulpit.. took it back to the barn and made another identical one... brought it back and bolted it on. The owner of the boat was never without use of his boat except for when they took the pulpit off and reinstalled the new one. Can't imagine how bad it would have been if it was molded in!!! Plus I personally think the molded in pulpits look cheap. Give me a bolt on any day.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Aesop's Fables, The Fox and The Grapes:

One hot summer's day a Fox was strolling through an orchard till he came to a bunch of Grapes just ripening on a vine which had been trained over a lofty branch. "Just the thing to quench my thirst," quoth he. Drawing back a few paces, he took a run and a jump, and just missed the bunch. Turning round again with a One, Two, Three, he jumped up, but with no greater success. Again and again he tried after the tempting morsel, but at last had to give it up, and walked away with his nose in the air, saying: "I am sure they are sour."

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
I post for the benefit of the reader with an objective mind who's interested in facts, not personal attacks. Lets also not forget how cheap GW's windshield is compared to Pursuit's monocoque system, there is no comparison. GW's looks like it came from WalMart, Pursuit's looks like it came from a yacht quality company like Tiara - which it did !

Pursuit also uses vinylester resin in their hulls, GW does not. They have so much confidence in their materials and workmanship that they offer a warranty against hull blisters, once again GW does not.

The no wood, no rot, no worry stringers Pursuit uses is also superior vs GW's "lifetime guarantee". Any wood WILL rot, so even if GW found a company willing to warranty it does not make it better. Ripping out the stringers in a boat is a MAJOR job that will lay it up for a long time - another hassle you won't have with fiberglass stringers.

Add it up and its clear to anyone with an open mind that GW has fallen behind in the quality department. If you like your boat thats great, but for new boat shoppers the facts are obvious, there are clearly higher quality boats.

gonefishintoo

Reaction score
I will not own another GW because of the wood stringers... Nothing but problems.
Back to the trusty Seacraft..

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Do a search for Pursuit in the THT forum there is a recent post I think of a 335os that says it almost sank because of weight problems with max HP. Saying the factory was to blame blah blah blah nothing in this world is perfect it is all a compromise

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Here we go again

Southeast FL, you post for your own aggrandisement. Your rants are the same all the time, GW wood stringers are bad, windshields are bad, bow pulpits are bad, windows are bad. Please take your blather to another site.

Ed

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Re: Here we go again

Miss Sadie said:
Southeast FL, you post for your own aggrandisement. Your rants are the same all the time, GW wood stringers are bad, windshields are bad, bow pulpits are bad, windows are bad. Please take your blather to another site.

Ed

As I've said, I post for the benefit of OPEN minded people looking for the facts, both good and bad, on GWs.

And quite honestly, its personal attacks from people like you who motivate me to continue to keep posting - THANKS for the encouragement !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.