Which Seafarer to choose????

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your opinons on three Seafarers that I'm considering. All of the hulls are good shape meaning none of them has any rot or soft spots at all. Also everything on them works, like trim Tabs, pumps etc...nothing broken that I know of.

Boat 1..A 1983 Seafarere, with open Transom, new hyrdualic steering, 2000 trailer but NO ENGINE. The owner was given he boat and was fixing it up and ran out of money......for $3000

Boat 2..A 1989 Seafarer with a closed Transom, a 2007 225 ETC Evenrude, full canvas, no bottom paint and 2001 trailer. This boat has always been trailered. The owner bought a new 26' CC left over. .....$20,000

Boat 3..A 1999 Seafarer with a closed Transom, and 1999 200 HP Yamaha (no clue on the hours) and no trailer......$22,000

What are your thoughs on each?

G8RDave

Reaction score
No way I would want someone else's unfinished project. But that's just me. I think your real question is, does a newer motor and trailer outweigh a ten year newer hull, with the new hull being SeaV2, and no trailer. Tough call. I like the idea of a newer motor and having a trailer.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd go with number 3. First, you get the Sea-V2 hull. 2nd, the motor is either a Saltwater Carb'ed or an OX66 motor...and these motors are among the best that Yamaha ever made.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I vote for the 99 hull and motor...the CV2 hull isworth it. Number 3...

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but what makes the SV2 hull so good?

rcrudder

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No stupid questions. I have an SV2 hull and it is very very dry. GW talks about a three chine hull. Whatever it means it is good.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Depending on condition of #2 (transom and stringer inspection) I'd say that's by far the best value. Almost brand new ETEC and a trailer.

The SeaV2 hull is a bonus, but with an 11 y.o engine w/ unknown hours, no trailer, and $2K more than option #2, you may be faced w/ a repower soon after already forking out more $. I'll admit my 1988 Seafarer can be a wet ride, but that's what an enclosure is for.

Do you need a trailer?

I'd say it depends on how much $ you have and the condition of the boats. But the choce would be betw #2 & #3.

Seahunter

Reaction score
#1 maybe your best buy, but not my choice.

#2 your essentically buying a new motor with a hull. The value lies in the motor, not the hull.

I would go #3. Better hull, better boat all around.

I could care less about the age of a mechanical apperatus. Motors are no bilogical and are no faced with timed based mortaility. An 11 year old motor with 3 hours on it is ino closer to death than a 3 year old motor with 3 hour on it.

A motor whose condition is only unknown until you perform a visual inspection and do a compression and leak down test. At that point, the motor's condtion should be very well known.

uncljohn

Reaction score
Seahunter said:
I could care less about the age of a mechanical apperatus. Motors are no bilogical and are no faced with timed based mortaility. An 11 year old motor with 3 hours on it is ino closer to death than a 3 year old motor with 3 hour on it.

I respectfully disagree. The worst thing in the world for a 2-stroke is to not be used. An 11 year old engine with few hours is much closer to a blown piston than one that's been run every other day for 11 years. Its almost 'anti-biological' in concept. This is failry common knowledge when you ask folks on THT.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you know what model engine is on the 99.If it is an HPDI I would go for that- not sure what year Yamaha started making them but it is a very good engine for that boat

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I do not know what Yamaha model engine is on 1999. I asked and did not receive an answer (which doesn't make me happy) I did learn the 2007 225 engine on 89 boat is under warranty until 2017. Seems too long? Is that possible?

I've given up on boat 1, even though the priced dropped. I agree with G8RDave, I don't want to take on some guys defunct project. Now I'm between the 99 and 89......

no problem

Reaction score
That 07 probably had 5 years of warranty and expires in 2012.

Will you be trailering or bottom painting?
Here's one with no hardtop and bottom paint.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/1956680553.html

a few more
vannah.craigslist.org/boa/1955145209.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/1955206474.html
http://sahttp://portland.craigslist.org ... 92342.html
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1949116081.html
http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/1935170674.html
http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/1929361104.html

I guess I'm sayin' there's a lot to choose from. With so many bargains out there I would decide what's important to you and pursue the biggest bargain. As winter approaches there's generally fewer to chose from. Good luck and keep us posted!

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have to trailer it, so I won't need to paint the bottom.

The 89 is not painted and was never left in the water, it was always trailered. I'm trying to weigh that fact along with the fact that it has a new engine and trailer against the 1999 that has a SV2 hull that is 10 years newer but the engine is 8 years older and no trailer.

Is the SV2 hull worth all that? My friend has 1990 24er with the engine on a bracket and I always thought his boat rode great and I don't remember getting wet.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I have an 88 Seafarer and will admit that it can be a wet ride in a cross-wind but it cuts thru chop well. I think the SeaV2 hull is dryer ride and more stable when at anchor. I don't know if its worth it b/c I've never ridden on a SeaV2 hull, but I can say the pre-SeaV2 hulls aren't bad.

good luck, but you should also peruse those listings that no problem posted.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is not apples-to-apples, but I sea-trialed a 208 Adventure in 1994 prior to purchasing my 92 Seafarer.
The 208 was pre-SeaV2, the Seafarer I purchased was the 1st year of the SeaV2 hulls.

I couldn't tell that much of a difference, even thought the 208 was a smaller boat. If I were making the decision you are, I would be more concerned with engine dependability, structural condition of the hull, etc.
If possible maybe arrange a ride comparison of pre and post SeaV2 hulls, although that might be a pain to co-ordinate.

capt dave

Reaction score
It all depends on the condition of the hull on the 89. If it's solid and no crazing go for it. You could probably do a little better than $20000. I would offer $17000. It is a buyers market.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
Capt Dave........What "crazing"?? In the PICs the 89 hull looks hull brand new...it still has a nice shine.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I have an update. I finally got over and viewed the 1989 Seafarer (3 hours away). The Hull is in almost perfect condition and it still has a nice shine. There is a triangular spot about 12" wide x 6" long, on the bottom, right at the stern, where the jell goat is gone, it looks like an old repair. Inside the boat the floor seemed solid. There was a fine crack in the jell coat that runs along the corner where the deck meets the back wall wall (under the rear seats). They claim this is superficial crack. The wood work was okay, but it will need oiling soon. There were also two minor repairs (2" spots) to jell coat on the top of the side wall near a rod holder, that were done poorly (they could have been sanded better).

Also is it normal to silicone the hatches that cover the fuel tanks? Someone used clear silicon to seal those joints.

To my untrained eye this boat was in much better shape than the 1999 hull. The 99 is kept in the water and sun has taken its toll. The bottom on the 99 has got a few thick coats of bottom paint, some of which is peeling.

Thoughts?

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would choose #3 for the following reasons: (1) Yamaha is the first choice of outboards for most Grady owners, their reputation and performance are priceless and they have a great customer service hotline too; (2) The 1989 boat's gas tank is probably on it's last leg (my 1991 Seafarer's tank just went last year) and will cost you between $1,700-$2,000 to replace one 93-gallon tank and all the fuel & fill lines; (3) SEAV2 hull is going to have a better resale value and will give you a smoother and dryer ride; (4) trailer should not cloud your judgement and you could always buy a used trailer later on if your don't plan on keeping your boat in the water for the season (stongly recommend you do - you will use your boat more often if kept in the water).

As for the fuel hatch, there is a beige colored GE Silicone that matches the Grady decks when it dries. Can't remember the exact name, but the name can be found in other Forum posts.

It is normal for bottom paint to chip and/or peel, especially if the boat is kept in salt water throughout the season. The bottom paint on my 1991 Seafarer 228G just started to chip a little, but this should not be a concern. When boats are kept in the water, their hulls don't show well as mildew and algea will grow on the same. All of the growth and barnicles get power washed off when you pull your boat out at the end of the season. During the power washing, some of the bottom paint will come off as expected. Not to worry, you will apply two coats in the Spring.