Why a Grady?

Jargon

Reaction score
Every single one of you who responded made a contribution; thank you!

I’ve decided on a 255 Freedom with a single Yammy 300. Fully gassed up with my fat ass on it, it barely fits the max load rating on the lift at my house. At the boat show, we boarded 235, 255 & 275 Freedoms and the 255 was the one that both the wifeboss and I liked.

Feeling pretty good about narrowing the choices down. Now, to just decide when to buy and find the right unit.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on your choice. Why a Grady? I bought a Grady well because my brother owned one and I wanted to be just like him. Lol. I have owned 2. I had a 192 dual console and my current 228 which I love.

I drank the cool aid and they make a great boat. However, I must warn you, being a Grady owner has it's risks. If you venture on other boating sites you will be met with scorn at times like a high school kid wearing a MAGA hat in DC on a winter day! You must have skin as tough as Grady gel coat and a sense of humor too. You will find jealousy there where grown men will act like a gilted prom date who left her for a beaux with a better car. They all get upset at what they can't have.

I have taken my 228 all over the Pamlico and many other places. It has rarely given me issues with failed components. They make solid , sea worthy boats and if you go 2015 or newer all of them are composite transoms and stringers. In 2000 they used a material called Greenwood XL and it is supposed to have a 50 year no rot warranty. Models older than 2000 which the 255 is not,there are cautions needed when buying an older Grady. Have fun and good luck again!

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Reaction score
An update on my research for any of you that are bored...

While I love the layout of the Express models, particularly liking the 2 330’s I’ve been on, we simply are not going to sleep on the boat and I want to spend the money on useable real estate on deck, so, cabins are definitely out.

Thought I was going to be set with a Freedom 275 because it fits my needs and existing boat lift, the last 330 Express I was on pretty much convinced me that a 30-33’ hull is what I think I want.

I can’t imagine living in the OBX and not going out to the Gulfstream. Charters run around $2500 and I’m just too cheap to pay that. The Oregon Inlet scares the fish eggs out of me, but I love mahi, and I think the bigger hull will give me more confidence to learn how to captain through that inlet.

While I love some of the very unique and useful features of the 335 Freedom, I am surprised at how much I see us in a Canyon 336, which has enough head and cabin space to be useful, but seating looks fairly sufficient as well, enough deck seating for cruising the bays with guests, and behind the glass seating for 3 guys going to the Gulfstream. I’ll just have to add another boat lift at my dock.

We shall see.

Last edited:
Reactions: INSURANCEMAN

Fishtales

Reaction score
One last thing. GW seem a bit spartan and aged compared to some others. I attribute this to controlling change. I don't want a boat that has unproven designs or equipment. Simplicity and proven design, materials and equipment is important. GW does change from time to time, but they do it methodically which I appreciate.

INSURANCEMAN

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
I’m strongly leaning towards practicality and thinking Freedom if I’m spending real jing. If I run into an awesome deal that I couldn’t pass up, I would do an Express. The Express that I saw and spent 20 minutes on was gorgeous, but I’m the kind of fool who would show up at Comstock in the first week of January and start hard negotiations.

Just thinking out loud here, don’t know if I’m making any sense at all though.

So although I am not retired...I faced a similar dilemma a few years ago. We purchased a home on the water. We are on a river and it leads out to the bay on the Eastern Shore of MD. I grew up fishing and boating so when I bought our boat I thought I knew what I wanted. I really wish I had thought it through more like you are doing. I bought a Parker walk around - I was a fisherman! haha. It was a nice boat but it wasn't practical at all. I imagined I would be going out fishing all the time and well with a 10 and 12 year old it didn't happen. When my family would come along the cabin was hot and no one really wanted to be down there hardly at all. If we took others with us the cabin as well as the front of the boat was a waste of space. I went out on a friends Dual Console and I knew right then that is what I wanted. I sold the Parker and found a beautiful 205 Tournament. Much smaller and less expensive than what you are looking at...but what I can assure you that you will love the layout of the dual console. It is great...kids love it, wife loves it. If someone comes with us we have more than enough room. There is a small bathroom if needed...and a good deal of storage. We run to a few places on the water and it is great for the wife and kids to enjoy the front of the boat...and I can go out fishing too!

The couple things I would change: I do enjoy fishing and there is no place to keep the rods locked up on the boat on my WA I kept my rods in the cabin, and I have the bimini top and boy would I love it to be a hardtop! I don't think you can go wrong with a Grady. Grady's are timeless. The quality and feel of my boat vs similar boats that age set it apart as well as how it retains its value.

The funny thing is I actually have another smaller Boston Whaler that I have a slip to keep that boat in and I didn't even put it in the water last year...but I used the Grady every chance I could get.

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am on the Currituck sound and purchased a 2001 228 Seafarer with bracket. I can go in Kitty Hawk Bay, down to the Inlet and as far as Carolina Beach. (Inside) with no problems. Kind of different running this boat compared to the V21 Steplift I had. While the Wellcraft was a very good boat the Grady wants to trim down and go faster into the short swells we get from the Albermarle Sound.

Carlo2888

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here is a target for you !

Attachments

• IMG_8280.jpg
    IMG_8280.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 27

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hey Jargon,

I noticed this thread was started a while back. I did the same thing as you in the beginning, I followed the threads, but never piped up until last spring.

My only advice is to consider a dual engine setup if you are going offshore. Maybe it's just me, but there is something calming about having a backup engine incase one ever goes afoul. If you will always be in range of Sea Tow then that is a different consideration.

Time and choices are on your side.

Best,

Lee

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would recommend you go with the most versatile......Grady White Marlin 300, great fishing boat, great cruising boat, comfortable overnighter. Keep the Admiral happy.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Why Grady?? I am the original owner of my 1994 192 Tournament EVERYTHING is still original down to the Yamaha 150 Saltwater 2 stroke she still looks great runs perfect and is solid as a ROCK and if I wanted to sell it i can still get good money for it the only thing I have ever done to her is basic Maintenance and OHH just bought new helm seats they were getting worn, I have owned 4 other brands of boats and none of them were as good as this one

Last edited:

Jargon

Reaction score
Hey Jargon,

I noticed this thread was started a while back. I did the same thing as you in the beginning, I followed the threads, but never piped up until last spring.

My only advice is to consider a dual engine setup if you are going offshore. Maybe it's just me, but there is something calming about having a backup engine incase one ever goes afoul. If you will always be in range of Sea Tow then that is a different consideration.

Time and choices are on your side.

Best,

Lee
I’ve gone back and forth on that decision many times, and I think you’re right about 2 motors. I have several reasons why, in no particular order:
1) your reason
2) I’m told boats handle better and outperform those with 1 motor, though I don’t know how
3) I want to get 25’ and bigger, if I get 30’ or more, I want a Helm Master on it
4) the extra annual maintanance savings doesn’t outweigh the benefits of 2 motors
5) I’ve never been one to cut corners on my toys
6) buy what others want for better/easier resale

Jargon

Reaction score
I would recommend you go with the most versatile......Grady White Marlin 300, great fishing boat, great cruising boat, comfortable overnighter. Keep the Admiral happy.
I’ve considered the cabin models, but too much $ to be spent on features I won’t completely utilize, which is why I like the Canyon 336; it has enough under deck to be useful AND versatile.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’ve considered the cabin models, but too much $ to be spent on features I won’t completely utilize, which I why I like the Canyon 336; it has enough under deck to be useful AND versatile.

Thanks for your input.
I am quite fond of the Canyon 336 as well. Elegant footprint!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd have to go with a 282 Sailfish or the 300 Marlin as my next ride. Love the walkarounds for the storage and weather protection they afford. That being said, I guess the 456 Canyon has storage and protection also, if I had to choose a center console style boat. :cool:

Jargon

Reaction score
I'd have to go with a 282 Sailfish or the 300 Marlin as my next ride. Love the walkarounds for the storage and weather protection they afford. That being said, I guess the 456 Canyon has storage and protection also, if I had to choose a center console style boat. :cool:
Yeah, the 456 was my first choice, but if I get a used 336, the leftover cash can pick me up 2 new Ferrari’s.

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are some nice ones for sale on Boattrader.com
I see a few people are rigging triples off the transom.
Sweet as pie~
7102815_20190604143027164_1_LARGE.jpg

capeguy

Reaction score
I had a Sailfish 282 for years and found that noone in my family was interested in overnights, so the cabin was nearly a complete waste -- except for the protection it provided with the hard top. I made the move to a Canyon 306 CC, and it was the best decision.

The big CC is better for my use than any of the cabin boats. We fish or do family cruises. In both cases it is better than a WA or Express. More deck space and seating than either, big console for the head and storage.

If overnighting is not a priority, I would get the Canyon 336, it is a beast.