Wide beam hull delamination

Graybeard

Reaction score
I was searching for a used Express 330 or Marlin 30. In my search I learned about industry known moisture and hull delamination problems with wide beam Grady’s. I learned about it from a local boat builder, repair shop owner and my surveyor. They all said it had to do with inadequate construction techniques and GW could have prevented it only if........ Of course GW coustomer Service was evasive when I contacted them. In fact the first Marlin 30 I had surveyed had a totally delaminated port side hull and a 40% delaminated starboard side hull. I finally found a DRY 2003 Marlin 30, so I bought it. But now I’m second guessing myself. I know there are a lot of GW haters out there but does Anyone here know the real story ? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
The wide beamed boats are cored with balsa until GW went to no wood construction. I have not heard of a wide spread problem but if it gets wet it could be a problem.

seasick

Reaction score
I was told by a knowledgeable surveyor that there were some newer hulls (330 e.g) where the deck lid and the hull mold were not sealed correctly towards the rear, mostly near the last two or three feet of the port side rub rail. Under speed, splashing water was entering the gap and soaking the core over time. There was no path for that water to drain out. Over time, the damage grew to include the nearby stringer.

The good news is that if your hull does not show excessive moisture back there, you probably won't run into the issue (assuming of course that the boat was used in the water:))

MA208

Reaction score
I found a couple in my search as well. I’d be willing to bet Grady might share some repair cost if people escalated it. They treated me right with cabin headliner cracks. As far as I know the no wood in recent years is only transom and stringers though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2 on the headline crack. They stepped up big time and corrected it for me. I still don't understand how water getting in between the hull and cap would get into the coring. It is glassed over on the inside and from what I could tell when I toured the factory that it was encapsulated (glassed, top sides and bottom edges). Will be interesting what others say on the board.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that some folks had some delamination problems caused by improperly sealed vents at the very aft of the hull sides. Older 330s have stainless steel vents that lead to the bilge area -- I noticed the newer ones don't have these. I think it would be pretty easy to remove the vent fittings and make sure that the hull and coring are properly sealed. I haven't done this on mine, but I did have hull thoroughly tapped by a SAMS certified surveyor when I purchased it. No moisture problems anywhere...

One thing to note: Grady's 330 Express and the 30 Marlin have been extremely successful in the market, so there are quite a few out there. So if even, say 1%, of them have problems, that will be a much larger number than many comparable brands who simply produced fewer boats...

MA208

Reaction score
I have also heard of water intrusion from the generator vent on the port side. I can’t verify though.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Its all glassed over so any water that comes in runs down to the bilge. For that to happen, there has to be a recurring leak and the water needs to penetrate the core. One would think that requires standing water. I'm no expert, but I don't think water collects that high up, it should run to the bilge and then be evacuated when the float switch is engaged.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So, I've been looking at older Marlins. Where exactly is this water intrusion? There is one in VA that is disclosing he has moisture in port/starboard aft sections.

Is the moisture in the integrated bracket/transom? Or, is the hull itself cored above the waterline?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
everwhom said:
One thing to note: Grady's 330 Express and the 30 Marlin have been extremely successful in the market, so there are quite a few out there. So if even, say 1%, of them have problems, that will be a much larger number than many comparable brands who simply produced fewer boats...

X2!

Maybe it's just me and that my eye takes more notice but I see more Grady's of all shapes and sizes in and around the water than any other brand. Especially older models that have either been well taken care of or have been rebuilt/restored. Why? Because they are a well built boat. Not to say that there have not been issues but I'm sure that other brands suffer their own issues and deficiencies and wind up discarded because they are not so well built and do not have a good enough foundation for people to invest time and money for repairs. There, that's my Kool-aid rant...

Scott D

Reaction score
Harpoon it will usually show up during survey when the hull is checked with a moisture meter. It’s the hull sides aft above the waterline. I’d have the boat surveyed to determine if it’s a major issue or not.

Good luck

SeaVee

Reaction score
So, is there a fix for areas like this ? Wondering how you could lower the moisture levels in areas like this

Fishtales

Reaction score
Other than removing and replacing it, not much you can do. It would be a difficult repair to reach from inside the boat, but it could be done, just glass and wood.