WiFi display?

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a Garmin 8612 MFD at the helm of my 2000 Marlin. I believe this unit is Wi-Fi capable, has anyone used a Wi-Fi capable screen to see the sonar down closer to the fishing area on the boat? Is there a less expensive alternative to a separate networked unit?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You could use Active Captain on a iPad. AC lets you access the unit via the boats wifi. From there you can access your 8612 and see the screen and operate the unit as if you were right in front of it.

The problem with using an iPad or Android is sunlight readability. Just like using your phone in direct sunlight. You need to use a larger device with good screen resolution. iPad recommended over Android. Count the pixels and compare to 8612's. Protecting the device from getting wet is another.

Stop by at storage one day and I'll give you a demo!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Using Active Captain on 9" iPad with Retina Display. iPad connected to boat's wifi (Garmin wifi). These screens show how the unit can be controlled by AC. AC can also update software and charts in the unit. In addition AC charts can be used offline for trip planning and waypoint creation. This can all be done on a phone but screen is really too small to be useful (maybe to do software updates if you can read screens).

Active Captain opening screen.
Boat Apps, Chart and Settings across bottom of screen.
AC1.jpeg

Boat Apps screen.
Sync, Devices and Helm.
AC2.jpeg

Helm Screen.
Upper Station, Lower Station.
AC4.jpeg

Helm Upper Station.
8610 on Sonar screen allowing selection of sonar type.
AC3.jpeg

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have an older Samsung tablet that might work well for this
It will work. Screen resolution will be low compared to 8612 which is full HD. Less important for sonar or radar. Bigger problem for navigation.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Had a thread going with someone about using an iPad as a second screen. He is using Navionics app where you would be using Active Captain. Same issues though.

Last edited: