Wildfire Destruction

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey guys,

I'm sure everyone has seen the news in regards to the California wildfires that have engulfed a lot of this beautiful state. On August 26th my family and I experienced the wildfire first hand with the total loss of our home and outlying buildings. My mind is still clouded because of what has happened to me and people that I know that have also suffered. The Redwood forest will come back to it's natural beauty but for now my family and I are pulling chocks for now and heading for our other home in Sarasota Florida. I have Caj Flynn Transportstion pulling my 30 Marlin to Florida around the first week of October.

So my question is.. does anyone have any recommendations on how too prevent the bugs and road debris off during transport? I thought about cutting some cardboard to fit the front windows and I also heard of using Saran Wrap.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

Caj is a good guy and may have a recommendation, but can you get the boat shrink wrapped?

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Pighunter

Reaction score
I think what you want to use is a product called coroplast? I hauled a 40' house trailer from Ca. to the Canadian border in Washington state to our property I taped coroplast to the front and all windows.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Shannon, so sorry for what has happened to you and so many others in California. Have been watching the news and find it difficult to comprehend the loss and devastation. Trust you have a safe trip to your other home and find the strength to carry on.

Reactions: Zebulon

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think what you want to use is a product called coroplast? I hauled a 40' house trailer from Ca. to the Canadian border in Washington state to our property I taped coroplast to the front and all windows.
I'll look into that, thanks Pighunter..

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Shannon, so sorry for what has happened to you and so many others in California. Have been watching the news and find it difficult to comprehend the loss and devastation. Trust you have a safe trip to your other home and find the strength to carry on.
Thank you for the kind words trapper, it's crazy how you spend years building a castle and then POOF, all gone.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry for your loss. You are fortunate to have a nother place to call home. I wish you and your family well.
I haven't tried this, but another potential option is carpet film. You can get it at Lowes in a large role for cheap. I would tape all edges for extra measure.

Reactions: Sdfish

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Shannon,

I could never have imagined. My heartfelt sadness for you and your family.

Peace and light,

Lee

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That is tragic, things can be replaced , people can not, happy you and your family are safe.

God speed with your travel.
Blood

Reactions: Divajean

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Sorry about your loss, at least you are all ok , that's what matters most, everything else can be replaced.
I would cover the front of the boat and the front glass with some thing like stick on carpet or something similar and remove all the clears. Secure the aerials with some bubble wrap so they don't bounce on the hardtop.

Reactions: Zebulon

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sorry for your loss brother. Glad you and your family are safe. Head out to Florida and take a breather and clear your head. Material things can be replaced, lives can't.

Shrink wrap is your best bet. Toss it when you get to Florida. I use a small section of pipe insulation and a ball bungee and secure my antennas to the rocket launchers on the hardtop. A thick coat of wax and leave on until you get there, and clean off on arrival. Saran wrap around the hardtop legs. Just some thoughts.

Zoom in on this pic and you can see the pipe insulation on the antennas.

20180910_193212.jpg

Reactions: magicalbill

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Sorry for your loss.

I lost my house in the Northridge quake in 94. I would much rather go through that then what you and yours have experienced. I moved to Florida too. Hated leaving Cali but it is so much safer here on the gulf coast.

I agree on the shrink wrap. Good luck!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Joining the others in expressing my sorrow at such a devastating loss. As time passes, your path forward will present itself.

I agree with Ky Grady and Parthery: I think shrink wrap is the way to go. It's kind of a pain to remove I'm told, but better than what will bombast it over a long haul.

I would think you could leave your isinglass up if it's shrink wrapped; the hard top flares out enough that the wrap probably wouldn't contact the glass, but I'm not sure.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I agree with Ky Grady and Parthery: I think shrink wrap is the way to go. It's kind of a pain to remove I'm told, but better than what will bombast it over a long haul.

I would think you could leave your isinglass up if it's shrink wrapped; the hard top flares out enough that the wrap probably wouldn't contact the glass, but I'm not sure.

Not hard to remove at all. I had my boat shrink-wrapped in Jacksonville and shipped to Australia . Not just for protection, it keeps thieves and sticky beaks away too. I would still remove the front clears.
1600167221962.png

Reactions: magicalbill

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I agree with the shrink wrapping but it seems to be a rare thing to do on the west coast, I'm going to research the Coroplast idea that Pighuter recommended and secure the antennas as Ky advised. It has a good coat of wax on her already so I think I'll go with that. I'm almost finished rebuilding the trailer hubs, brakes, and new Hydrastar E/H brake unit then Caj Flynn will hook up around the 1st of October.

Shannon C.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just to follow up, my Marlin made the 3000+ mile journey to Sarasota. Flynn Transportation was great, hooked up and delivered on time. Just purchased a house on the beach in New Smyrna Beach on the east coast of Florida and looking forward to some Atlantic fishing soon. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words in the above post and also for the recommendations.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Best wishes and tight lines out there Shannon!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey, Shannon has dibs if he wants, but if there are other locals (I believe we are both in the 95033 zip code) that lost their house, we have a 1 bedroom guest house that we can offer up. It would work for a couple, could work with a kid or two but would be tight, the kids would have to share a futon. Brand new gas stove, good water, plenty of space for vehicles/boats.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't offer this sooner.

Reactions: HTHM