Windless Issues

seasick

Reaction score
A picture of the forward components as well as the windlass would help.
I wonder if there is something wrong with the roller mechanism forward. You either have a roller assembly or a pulpit with a roller of some sort where the line makes the turn down towards the water. Have you checked that area? Perhaps the roller or supporting metal assemble has issues. For example if the line slid off the roller and got caught between the side of the roller and the bracket, it could rub on the roller axle which could be a threaded bolt. That could wear out the line when at anchor in a hurry.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Your gonna have to take a series of pics from where the rode enters, the rollers, they winch and gypsy. Without those, we're all guessing. Sounds very strange though.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
my guess is operator error or a mismatched rode/gypsy. two brand new rodes shouldn't chafe through in two days. have a read through the operation manual for the windlass

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
How much line did you get back ? Did it separate from the chain or did it chew the entire rode?
Maybe you just had poorly made chain splices and it has nothing to do with the windlass?

Karen Ann IV

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Thanks to all of you who replied. I rebuilt the guts of the windless and hope all is fixed. Haven't tried it yet . Will keep you posted.