Window trim seal - update

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Sorry for the late picture , this is the zoro part # I posted earlier.

Attachments

• 90F62DAC-4A87-4C6C-9411-F835DF6FFAEE.jpeg
    90F62DAC-4A87-4C6C-9411-F835DF6FFAEE.jpeg
    615.3 KB · Views: 85

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry for the late picture , this is the zoro part # I posted earlier.
Looks great crabby. I didn't know if your Marlin had the same channel as the Voyager. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the stuff from zoro also.
Please let us know if it doesn't hold up. I dont know if there is a lot of variation in uv performance with this type of material.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pete, I presume you are wondering how much for the Islander? When I made this post it was for our Voyager. The Islander has more windshield than the Voyager. If you need me to check, I can head out to the garage later and take a measurement. Let me know.

JRyan

Reaction score
Hi I know I am late to the party, but can you tell me where you bought the tubing for your windshield and does it just press in or do you need to glue it in. My windshield leaks under the frame and I want to reseal it. I figured I would do one side at a time, but I need the weather strip that covers the screws.

Thanks
Jim

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mine came from Marine Glass Specialties. You simply stuff it into place.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
This original post is timely because I noticed water coming in from my headliner on the starboard side. Does anyone know if you remove the rubber seal on the outside of the windshield would that expose the screws that need to be resealed? Also, what was the part number you ordered from Marine Glass Specialities? I have a 2004 Gulfstream.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
For my Grady 330, I ordered the Zoro D shaped weatherstripping referenced above - part # G4338135. This was adhesive backed, which I did NOT need - I left the paper strip on, which I may have some regrets about later, but it stuffed into the channel perfectly and looks like it should seal well. There's definitely no need to glue it in, it's a friction fit.

Of the 25 foot roll, I used about 23 feet.

My original 2002 seal was turning to dust from sun exposure, and getting black dust on anything it touched. Hopefully this stuff holds up for at least a few years!

Reactions: family affair

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
This original post is timely because I noticed water coming in from my headliner on the starboard side. Does anyone know if you remove the rubber seal on the outside of the windshield would that expose the screws that need to be resealed? Also, what was the part number you ordered from Marine Glass Specialities? I have a 2004 Gulfstream.
Ted,
Sorry for not responding. I must have missed the notification. Did you get this addressed?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Great thread demonstrating the power of the forum. I don't have a leak but will know what to do should it be in my future!

‘Merica

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ted, Did you end up resolving the leak in the headliner by resealing this? I have the same problem, believe it is coming from the windshield, and was hoping someone could confirm this is the location to find the screws to tighten and caulk and the reseat a new gasket

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ted, Did you end up resolving the leak in the headliner by resealing this? I have the same problem, believe it is coming from the windshield, and was hoping someone could confirm this is the location to find the screws to tighten and caulk and the reseat a new gasket
Yes, that is where the screws are. The gasket is mostly aesthetic, by the way.

You should also look to see if there's anything else mounted around there (wiper motor, for example) and investigate. Methodically using a hose can help find the source.

‘Merica

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, that is where the screws are. The gasket is mostly aesthetic, by the way.

You should also look to see if there's anything else mounted around there (wiper motor, for example) and investigate. Methodically using a hose can help find the source.
Thank you! I have confirmed it is not the wiper or hardtop mounting screws, only thing left is the windshield so I’ll dig into that next.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thank you! I have confirmed it is not the wiper or hardtop mounting screws, only thing left is the windshield so I’ll dig into that next.
You're welcome! It's pretty straight forward. The only thing sometimes annoying (although it's really a good thing) is that sometimes you'll find one or two screws that are actually thru-bolted. If any, it's usually ones at either end of the channel. In that case, if you can't easily get to the nut... just clean off the screw head and surrounding metal well with a scotchbrite pad and goop the sealant over/around it. It's not the "best" way to reseal, but it should be good for quite while that way.

Be sure push HARD on the screwdriver (vertically) - SS screws are easy to strip the heads - and then your problem gets harder to fix! :) Heck, you may find that some are already buggered up - either from a previous owner or even from the factory.

FYI... look into butyl rubber tape for sealing these.

‘Merica

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Has anyone used this to replace the hollow “O” seal? This was recommended by Marine Glass Specialties as they cannot procure the O seal currently. Looks like it will work but wanted to see if anyone has experience with it.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230807_110022.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230807_110022.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 7
  • Resized_Resized_20230807_105947.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230807_105947.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 7

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Has anyone used this to replace the hollow “O” seal? This was recommended by Marine Glass Specialties as they cannot procure the O seal currently. Looks like it will work but wanted to see if anyone has experience with it.
I know a bunch of other manufacturer's use that. I think it's a "6 of one, half dozen of another" kind of thing. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it. Remember, although it's labelled as a "seal", it really isn't a "full" seal. It obviously helps to keep water out, but water getting in there shouldn't matter as it just flows right back out. Honestly, it's just for looks - although functionally, it would keep debris out.

Reactions: ‘Merica

‘Merica

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, I ordered it. I found a few of the screws had about 1/4 turn on them so perhaps that was the leak source. I may also put silicone sealant over the screws to further prevent water seeping in before I install the new gasket.