Windy ap

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've started using the windy ap.
Can someone tell me the difference in wave layers?
There is one with a surfer
One is labeled swell 2
And one labeled swell 3
Thanks
And any other help in reading this ap would be cool and appreciated.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
How do you change the settings on WINDY? My app is all metric, wind is m/s(meters/sec?) I couldn't find a settings, or units tool bar.
there are 3 dashes top left of the app. Click there then settings then units

Last edited:

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
found this...
Waves: Significant wave height and its period of all wave types combined (swell and wind waves). Close to the shoreline, the actual height is influenced by the shape of the sea bottom.
Swell1: A swell consists of wind-generated mechanical waves that are not significantly affected by the local wind at that time. They have been generated elsewhere and some time ago, usually travelling long distances.
Swell2: Secondary swell is produced also by winds far away but in other places than Swell1. It has different heights, directions and periods than Swell1.
Swell3: Another secondary swell, with different heights, directions and periods than Swell1 and Swell2. More detailed info about the swells is here.
Wind waves: Wind waves, or wind-generated waves, are surface waves that occur on the free surface of bodies of water (like oceans, seas, lakes, etc.). They result from the wind blowing over an area of water surface. Wind waves are generated by the immediate local wind – which gives them the direction. After the wind ceases to blow, wind waves are called swells.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
so if planning a trip which would be the layer to look //waves or swell 1,2,3 ?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
When we're making decisions about when to go we look at the NOAA/NWS Marine Zone forecasts. We have shortcuts to our coastal and Offshore zones on our browser. Also the three data bouys and the BEACH CAM such as surfersview.com.

We look at wind direction and speed, wave hght, swell and period.
Any wind over 15 kts is problematic...except (here on the East coast) NW or W winds (blowing from beach outward) make the coastal ocean flat and its fishable even up to 25 knts.

Don't just look at wave height and swell. The period is important. Periods over 8 seconds are not concerning. 4 sec periods are wind blown and ugly. You may see the term STEEP or Very Steep...not nice!
So a forecast of light wind, 3 to 4 ft and 10 sec period is a beautiful day. Whereas 15knts gusting to 20, 3 to 4 ft, 4 sec period is ugly

I think West coast has more days of long period swells (they come from a thousand miles out).
They do have their problems though. Sometimes we have glassy conditions with a long swell from the southeast and we can't run fast to the offshore spots without flying.
Big swells also make the inlet tough on an outgoing tide and also, bottom fishing is pretty much shutdown.

Oh and don't forget the NWS radar.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I always go thru the same process, check multiple apps etc to get a feel for the wind. I also check sailflow.com just as another data point.
I'll look at all layers to get a feel, if short interval between the swell, or mph over 10 - I reconsider going out, not comfortable for me on my 20 footer.

1593014210002.png

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I find Windy to be the most useful app.

The way that you use swell 1, 2, and 3 information is to estimate maximum swell peaks. If you have swells running at very different angles, your ride is going to be a lot lumpier that if they are all moving in similar directions. Combined with the direction of the wind waves you can anticipate a rougher or smoother ride depending on their direction given the swell or wave heights and periods.

If you have ever been in washing machine conditions with only 2 ft wave heights you will understand.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I really like windy, those Czech's are brilliant. Intellicast was also good too before it was taken over, now its garbage.

I also use the NOAA forecasts for my area. You guys on the coasts can't be too careful.

Last edited: