Winter cover for Adventure 208 (hard top and pulpit)

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Posting this an an FYI for Adventure owners who (like me) might have trouble finding a winter cover that fits with both a hard top and pulpit. The popular Budge web site that I came across only provides sizing for an Adventure with or without a hard top and makes no reference to a pulpit. After a bunch of searching and a phone call to the manufacturer, I settled on size BTHT-8. This is sized for a 24 to 26 foot boat and two sizes up from what their web site recommends. I got the cover installed this week and very happy with the fit. It covers the swim platform and both outboards as well as entire boat. Time will tells as far as durability, but at least the size is right.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-14 9.07.12 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 9.07.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-10-14 9.04.42 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 9.04.42 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
For the price that those go at, that's actually a pretty nice looking cover. Nice!

Question... do you get a decent amount of snow where you are? What did you use to support the cover against the snow load? You'll need that - otherwise the cover will likely rip.

In your second picture there seems to be something making a pretty good "point" at the top of the hardtop. You'll want to do something about that, too - that becomes another ripping point.

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Erie Pa - yes, a lot of snow. I ran a 2x6 from hard top to main outboard. In addition to providing support, I wanted to protect the cover from sharp edge of the rocket launchers. I am pretty confident that the 2x6 will be strong enough considering the sharp slope. As far as the top and other stress points, I was concerned about this so I placed sponges under all stress points to help protect the cover. I hope this does the trick.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-14 4.08.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 4.08.49 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hmmm... I LIKE that idea you did with that 1x! I might steal that for next year. Until now, I've just slipped empty antifreeze bottles over them before I shrink wrap.

If you're worried about the 2x6 being on the flat, add a leg in the middle of it going down to the floor. Under the leg, put a 3' or 4' 2x (running port to stbd) to spread the load.

Did you do the same in the front?

I think the motor hood is plenty strong - but I feel weird about a piece of wood on there that's going to get very heavy with snow. So I usually run a short leg under the 2x just before the engine.

Suggestion - remove the transom tie down strap - mice/squirrels can find that a nice way to climb up and inside!

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Same to bow but no pic of that. I may add a kicker for next year - good suggestion for taking some weight of cowling. My brother-in-law suggested taping over all the drains to keep bees from building nests next spring. I may remove the strap when I stop by to do that before heading south. It was a lot less work storing the boat inside for the winter but the cost of that option kept rising. My break-even on the cover is one season, but I sure hope it lasts longer than that.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Rather than taping, just stuff some plastic steel wool or scotchbrite pads in there - just in case water needs to drain out for some reason.

I hear 'ya on making it last and can appreciate that! I hope you know I'm not making any of these suggestions to give you more work - just offering them for the same reason - hoping to avoid rips :)

For the bow area... even with the wood, it is definitely going to collect alot of snow and water. It's not tented very high and the area between the wood and the bow rails will end up making a swimming pool. It will start small, but it will get bigger and bigger as it pulls on the cover - whether it gets big enough to then rip the cover remains to be seen. It looks like you have enough "extra" cover in the bow to put a 4' leg under the front of the wood support to make a taller "spine".

I would also run nylon strapping (the cheap white stuff used for shrinkwrapping) from the spine to the rail in multiple spots. That will help support the cover laterally and greatly lessen/eliminate pockets of water/snow build up. I'd run a couple of these lines in the back, too, for good measure.

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks much for the advice. I'll see what I can do to add some extra support upfront

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Similar setup here. Going on the 4th winter with this cover, usually get 5 or 6 seasons. Also went with a larger size. Made a ladder type frame for the front, pvc for the back. Having the hardtop helps. Attached is the only pic I have.

Attachments

• A396063E-B36C-47AA-B6AC-DE3D5E8BC32B.jpeg
    A396063E-B36C-47AA-B6AC-DE3D5E8BC32B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Looks slick and it keeps weight off Motor which would be a plus. I will be more than happy to get 5 seasons out of the cover. The warranty for this style (Denier 1200) states 5 years but you can't go by that. Do you have any issues with snow build up or water pooling? Also notice that we both have port side kicker motor setups. I mounted mine on a Panther bracket, but I needed to add a standoff to give the bracket handle clearance from the rub-rail. I also had a swim platform to deal with which I moved to starboard side. Works great though and well worth the effort.

Attachments

• Kicker.JPG
    Kicker.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 7

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Looks good. I did the same thing, but I went with the one for 20-22 footers. I don't have to worry about snow where I am, but it's stretched out pretty tight, so I think it would do well. Rain does not pool on it. It would fit perfectly, except the mast my GPS antenna is mounted on is pretty tall, so it doesn't quite get below the rub rail on the port side, which is the shady side anyway. I'm pretty happy with this cover for the price.

IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1598.jpgIMG_1599.jpg

TeK

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Snow sits on the hardtop, if it really snows I just use my roof rake to lighten the load.

Attachments

• 18970CC7-D5DB-4526-A2E0-FCE928C0067E.jpeg
    18970CC7-D5DB-4526-A2E0-FCE928C0067E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

TLCObsession

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I run lines from the rocket launchers in the back to the cleats and from the frame of the hardtop to the cleats in the front. I still get some pooling of rain. When it does snow, I also use a rake to cut down the amount that piles up. I plan on adding a PVC frame to help make it shed water better. I think mine was from Empire (which may be the same company. Its on its 4th season an other than some green matter, it looks pretty good.

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have the same cover and get 2-3 years out of them. I dont get snow here and very little rain. I also, cover the sharp edges with carpet and put tennis balls in the rod holders.
(I cut a hole in the tennis ball and put a 1 inch pvc pipe in it, stick it in the rod holder to avoid the sharp edge.)