Wiper Motor

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
That's great to hear. Is that the standard motor for all GWs? Here is another question. I am have a hard time getting the wiper arm off of the motor. Is there a clip that holds it on or do I just pry it off with a large screw driver?

catch22

Reaction score
Fishin' Rod said:
That's great to hear. Is that the standard motor for all GWs? Here is another question. I am have a hard time getting the wiper arm off of the motor. Is there a clip that holds it on or do I just pry it off with a large screw driver?

On some models there is a retaining lever. You push it in and pry off the wiper. The one I just replaced had a set screw in the base. You have to flip open the cover to get at it.

I think AFI is the brand that Grady used. Atleast that's what came off of mine.

I've used Ongaro too. They are almost exactly the same.

This is the best deal I could find on Ongaro, #30991 $108.63;

http://www.boatfix.com/bypartnokey.ASP? ... ARO+MARINE

Scroll down about half way - "HD WIPER MOTOR 2-1/2 in. SHAFT $174.95 $108.63 ONGARO MARINE 30991 / ONG30991 pg. 92".
You can click on the page no., (pdf) to check it out.

Reactions: Mcspam1234

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I just ordered the motor along with a new wiper arm too. Now if my motor and arm will come off nicely I be back to normal.

Thanks again,
Rod

catch22

Reaction score
Fishin' Rod said:
Thanks for your help, I just ordered the motor along with a new wiper arm too. Now if my motor and arm will come off nicely I be back to normal.

Thanks again,
Rod

Glad I could help.

One thing I forgot to mention is, I wouldn't use Ongaro's wiper blades. Their motors and arms are fine, but their wiper blades are terrible. There's a plastic piece, right where the wiper blade attaches to the arm, that breaks very easily. I tried 2 sets, thinking maybe I got a bad one.... not the case. First time, a wave/spray snapped the blade frame right off. Next time, I simply swiped the blade with a mop while cleaning and... snap! It's a shame because the blades look great... black frame matches the arm nicely, but it's worthless. I went with the stainless AFI's.

boslaw

Reaction score
can the ongaro 2 1/2" shaft be used on port side of my 208? The one that came with the boat is completely rusted and unusable.

catch22

Reaction score
boslaw said:
can the ongaro 2 1/2" shaft be used on port side of my 208? The one that came with the boat is completely rusted and unusable.

Yes it can. The Ongaro's dimensions are exactly the same as the AFI's. You might see a difference in wiper speeds though.

Fishin' Rod

Reaction score
That motor comes with 2 speeds a high and a low. My switch only uses the low so I didn't use the wire for the high. Also the motor comes set at 110° you will probably have to adjust the linkage for a 45° sweep. There are instructions supplied.

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks - any reason to go with AFI over Ongaro? If they're both essentially the same, I'll probably just get the cheaper of the two.

catch22

Reaction score
boslaw said:
Thanks - any reason to go with AFI over Ongaro? If they're both essentially the same, I'll probably just get the cheaper of the two.

The only difference I noticed was the speed, (wired for low speed). I added a port wiper and noticed a difference from the starboard wiper's speed, (original - AFI) which I also replaced soon after that.
Physically, it looks exactly the same as the AFI.

The Ongaro is definitely cheaper.

catch22

Reaction score
Fishin' Rod said:
That motor comes with 2 speeds a high and a low. My switch only uses the low so I didn't use the wire for the high. Also the motor comes set at 110° you will probably have to adjust the linkage for a 45° sweep. There are instructions supplied.

You can order the Ongaro's with different pre-set sweep patterns, (degrees). If it's not correct, you can change it. I think the best thing to do is to open up your original motor, (doesn't matter which brand) and check what it's set at, then order the correct one. If you install the motor and then find out it's the wrong pattern, it's a real pita to work on while it's mounted, (very awkward).
You can also change the park position, (left or right).

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Top notch advise on this subject. Top notch.

I printed it out for my files just in case.

My Grady has orginal motors ! Any day now! Big hole in ocean is still there!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
GREAT info on this post.

Related question: Last time out I had to use the wipers and was using stbd side only. When I turned the switch off, the wiper kept running. Is this a switch problem or (more likely) a developing wiper motor problem?

Thanks,
Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brain, that's a wiper motor problem, part of that fat head inside at base of shaft has long wiping contacts in there, same goes for car ww motors. The shaft goes into the head. The shaft seal eventually leaks.
Some water and debris may have entered, you can take it apart to evaluate and may be able to save it, and reseal shaft. May be a simple O ring in there.

To fix it otherwise, by eliminationg the self parking feature, find the "always on" positive feed at the motor head and disconnect and tape it. Then justs shut of wiper when it's near where you want it to stay.

If the shaft seal is leaking and not corrected, sooner or later, the motor will quit too.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for the great info, Bob. I expected it was in the motor circuitry, but have never worked on one. Oh well, tomorrow....

boslaw

Reaction score
wiper motor wiring

I bought the ongaro motor - it has 4 wires (Ground, 1, 2, 3). My grady only has 3 wires. Any idea how to connect?

Also, the ongaro motor from boatfix.com doesn't come with mounting hardware except for 1 nut. My port motor has a metal cylinder that acts as a spacer, along with a long screw and nuts. I can get the hardware from a big box store, but something to consider if you order this online.

catch22

Reaction score
Re: wiper motor wiring

boslaw said:
I bought the ongaro motor - it has 4 wires (Ground, 1, 2, 3). My grady only has 3 wires. Any idea how to connect?

Also, the ongaro motor from boatfix.com doesn't come with mounting hardware except for 1 nut. My port motor has a metal cylinder that acts as a spacer, along with a long screw and nuts. I can get the hardware from a big box store, but something to consider if you order this online.

Yea, the 3 "hot" wires are fast, slow, and park. Park get's power all the time. The other one gets connected to the switch, (whatever speed you choose). Tape off, or wire nut the unused wire, (unless you have a threeway switch for both speeds). Check out your installation instructions.
You can make the sleeve, (spacer) out of 3/4 or 1 inch PVC. I think it's easier and it wont rust or stain. Temporarily mount the motor, then you can measure for the length of the sleeve. If your overhead is thick enough, (it should be) you can use a self tapping ss screw. If not, you'll have to use a bolt and dress washer coming in from the outside.