Wiper Motor

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks Catch 22 - to make sure I understand, I should connect the Park and either Fast or Slow?

Good idea about the spacer. Great instructions

catch22

Reaction score
boslaw said:
Thanks Catch 22 - to make sure I understand, I should connect the Park and either Fast or Slow?

Good idea about the spacer. Great instructions

You got it. Park connects to boats orange wire, (always hot). Fast or slow to boats orange wire with stripe, (switch).

Slow is the preferred speed.

boslaw

Reaction score
so I finally got around to installing the ongaro motor - the thing is apparently not powerful enough. It moves the wiper blade about 3 inches back & forth. I've changed the wiper sweep (there are options for 45 degrees - 110 degrees) to no avail. Also, there doesn't seem to be an end point. If I give the blade a little push while it's working, I can get the blade to do a full 360 (slowly). I don't know if it's a bad motor, or if I need a lighter wiper arm (I put the stock arm on the new motor).

catch22

Reaction score
boslaw said:
so I finally got around to installing the ongaro motor - the thing is apparently not powerful enough. It moves the wiper blade about 3 inches back & forth. I've changed the wiper sweep (there are options for 45 degrees - 110 degrees) to no avail. Also, there doesn't seem to be an end point. If I give the blade a little push while it's working, I can get the blade to do a full 360 (slowly). I don't know if it's a bad motor, or if I need a lighter wiper arm (I put the stock arm on the new motor).

Something certainly isn't right here. First question, ( a stupid one)... you did get the 2 1/2" model, right? Just want to make sure the base of the arm isn't rubbing against the decking. Or, for that matter, is the base of the arm somehow rubbibg on the outer shaft?

I could see the motor being slowed down a bit, on a dry, dirty windshield, but not to the point that you describe. I've installed about a half dozen of these, (Ongaro's) and never experienced anything as far as a "weak" motor. My first guess would be, go over your wire connections. A poor connection, (power or ground) can cause a motor to run slower than it should.

Secondly, it sounds to me like something is not aligned properly inside the gear box. Wether it was from you changing sweep patterns or from the factory, I don't know. The fact that you can push the wiper past it's park position doesn't sound good. Also, I'm pretty sure 80 degrees is what your looking for, and if I'm not mistaken, if you ordered the 30991, it should already be set at that.

There's one other thing I can think of, (providing there's nothing out of whack internally). There's a screw, with a lock nut, on the outside of the gear box. It provides support to the end of the motor shaft. If it were set too tight, it might restrict motor speed. According to the intructions, you should not have to adjust it, but who knows.

Bottom line, imo I think you may have to return/exchange it.

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I figured. I double checked all of the things you mentioned (lock screw, wire connections, etc.). I definitely got the 2 1/2" version. Hopefully they'll take the return (I bought it from Boat FIX. It's already been installed in the boat and I crimped on blades to the end of the wires).

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but find this information valuable when researching.

I just had to replace one wiper motor. Both original 1992 motors but marineco was not able to cross reference the part numbers.
Went to West Marine and they had several of the same type on the shelf and it looked the same so took one home. Fit perfect, exact replacement and was factory set to 80 degree wipe pattern. It is a 2 speed but only use 1 based upon the wiring which was another story!

If anyone needs to know for this model boat 1992 Grady Sailfish Sportbridge, the motor is an AFI 34000 model.
Wiper blades just pry off with help of a automotive panel remover tool and was easy to change out.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Glad you brought it back up; just printed it for the boat file. Great thread. Got one working slow. Is this a simple fix of greasing the gear box? Is it getting ready to go? Thanks Guys

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good tip on the Sportbridge, just in case.

My '92 wiper motors are both still hanging in there.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What is really strange is both original 1992 motors were still working. The former owner had one of the wires on the starboard side unplugged since the motor would always run.
So, based on what some were saying, it was likely the park feature was shot.
So, finally found this MRV model that switched out, but the wiring terminals were different. Guess due to the 2 speeds. Hooked up and still same issue.
So, long story short, I traced back the wires to the switch and figured out what each one did and got it right. Now, the Port wiper motor does not park. So, I think if I got another MRV to replace it, it would be fine. I think someone had rewired something or replaced the switch and it was not really compatible with the motor wiring? I dunno, but from a switch to motor perspective, it all works with the new motor perfectly.
So, for now, when I turn the switch to off, I just make sure the Port side is to the far left and then the Starboard side will autopark to the far right. Not bad to deal with. Amazing that the original motors are still good though!