Wiring radar to fuse panel

quantase

Reaction score
For those of you who ran the power cable through the starboard tubing, how did you get access to it. I have been told that I will need to unscrew the top and bottom of the tubing to get access; thus drilling through the hardtop from the starboard side above the tube. I thought I could take off the almond colored cockpit light panel under the hardtop (radar mount will be over top of it) and snake the radar cables around to the starboard tubing for it to drop down into the helm. Can I not snake the radar cables that way?

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Wish I could help but I'm pretty sure the new tops are very different than the old E-boxes. the old Eboxes often had a pipe straight down to the helm box to run electronics cables. It was pretty straightforward how to run the cables.
I don't know what your's looks like.

That said, the power cabling to the top usually goes up the rear most pipe on the starboard side. You will probably have to remove something, like a tackle drawer, to get to the bottom of the pipe.

Snaking the ethernet cable is a bitch if the tube already has a lot of wires. Whe I did mine the first time I cut the RJ45 end off and remade the connection after fishing the wire. Thats not easy. You need the right tools and Garmin has a specific crossover patter for the wires. There is a pdf download for that.

I later had my hardtop off so I had all wires out. I ran the wires with big plugs thru the pipe first.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wish I could help but I'm pretty sure the new tops are very different than the old E-boxes. the old Eboxes often had a pipe straight down to the helm box to run electronics cables. It was pretty straightforward how to run the cables.
I don't know what your's looks like.

That said, the power cabling to the top usually goes up the rear most pipe on the starboard side. You will probably have to remove something, like a tackle drawer, to get to the bottom of the pipe.

Snaking the ethernet cable is a bitch if the tube already has a lot of wires. Whe I did mine the first time I cut the RJ45 end off and remade the connection after fishing the wire. Thats not easy. You need the right tools and Garmin has a specific crossover patter for the wires. There is a pdf download for that.

I later had my hardtop off so I had all wires out. I ran the wires with big plugs thru the pipe first.
Fortunately, for the new Fantom radar, Garmin has provided a splice at one end of their ethernet network cable that leaves a relatively small connector to fish through the pipes. I may have missed it, but I don’t see what model boat we are talking about. If a 330 I can provide some advice based on my experience.

quantase

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. We are talking about a GW 235. Any hints in snaking the cables through from hardtop into helm are welcomed.