WM pulled the rug out on my GPS plans

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Which way are you leaning?

If the Elite, the Black Friday ad is 599! I would take it to them the moment they release the ad.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Which way are you leaning?

If the Elite, the Black Friday ad is 599! I would take it to them the moment they release the ad.
Which store? West Marine?
I’ve got the ad and the elite isn’t in it.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yesterday I called the 800 # for West Marine and talked to them about the Lowrance and Simrad units, about mapping provided and intended use. I’ve also been reading and watching video reviews and tutorials on the two units. Everything seemed to agree that the Lowrance was intended for freshwater use and the Simrad for salt. Nothing saying you couldn’t use one for the other but that’s been the consensus, I just wasn’t letting it sink in. Guess I initially settled on the Lowrance and wanted confirmation that it was the best choice, maybe not.
Today was the first day of the WM Thanksgiving sale so I went back.
The manager asked if I needed help and I told him he might regret asking that ;) We went back over the features of the two and he added that the Simrad is able to operate for hours running cooler than the Lowrance. With that giving me the nudge off the fence along with a lot of people pointing at the Simrad that’s what I grabbed. Again first day of the sale with $300 off, their not going to last. I also paid the extra $109 to extend the warranty to 4 years.
So I think I made the best choice for how I’ll use it and there was no ordering it, no price matching either. I kinda think with this being easy and the other unit requiring me to jump thru hoops to get somebody was trying to tell me something ;)
I should be able to sleep tonight.:D
i thank you guys for your input which was very much appreciated !
9D97C1C2-69BA-457F-AA87-D505D7AF7999.jpeg

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats!!! Mine were just delivered yesterday and I have on my desk as I type this.

I’m curious your thoughts on the sun cover. Mine were a pain to take off, be careful as one seemed like someone at simrad played with it as the sides were all scruffed up ( I exchanged as I’m a perfectionist). Think it’s need to be modified a bit to make it easier to remove especially since I’m doing side by side

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Mine was a PITA too but I read that in the reviews and expected it so it’s ok. I’d rather have it this way than prone to blowing off. I’m sure there’s a trick to it I haven’t figured out yet.
Found C-map and Navionics cards in the box along with a lot to read but that’s good. I expected a link to an online manual which it seems everyone’s going too these days. I’d rather read and reread a paper manual while I relax in the evening.
I think this unit, 9” screen will actually take up less space on the dash than my old Faruno with its 5” screen.
One other thing Im going to do Is run a fresh power lead up from the battery switch and a second ground wire to ensure the unit gets clean voltage. A lot of electronic issues are caused by wiring that has outlived its time.
I’ve also had a new blue sea fuse panel to install.
The next thing is transducer placement. I may install a block so that I can move it without drilling a ton of holes in the transom.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Good choice on the Simrad Lt. I went with the NSS12 and have enjoyed it for the few times I've used it. I fish primarily fresh water with a touch of salt thrown in. The screen definitely runs cooler than my old Carbon's. They felt as if they could burn you if not careful.

During my upcoming re-rig and re-power, I'll be installing a new Blue Seas fuse block with screw terminals as I've experienced the spade connectors loosing connection. Wiring cleanup under the helm will be nice.

20201030_111859.jpg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’m surprised that fits in the box.
mine will go where the old Faruno sits. It’ll be a little more squared off so my daughter can watch the screen.
4B100C0E-984E-4D8A-9C5B-F12BCE6E6EBB.jpegIt’l
It’ll also be nice to lose that external gps antenna
53E383CB-806B-4D6E-9428-B20276C5161C.jpeg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m going to run a new cable and replace my existing fuse box before I install the new units. I want to make sure the new setup works before introducing another variable, just in case. Mine are original so it’s the smart thing to do as they are definitely overdue. Check out defender for everything if you want ancor heat shrink terminals, new cable, etc. prices were good. Just buy everything to stretch the shipping costs.

I bought 8awg but now wondering if I should have done 6awg instead.

Interesting point on the 9in taking up less space than your existing unit. I have an A60 and the GO9 is probably twice the screen size but smaller physical dimension. Got to love technology evolution!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’m going to run a new cable and replace my existing fuse box before I install the new units. I want to make sure the new setup works before introducing another variable, just in case. Mine are original so it’s the smart thing to do as they are definitely overdue. Check out defender for everything if you want ancor heat shrink terminals, new cable, etc. prices were good. Just buy everything to stretch the shipping costs.

I bought 8awg but now wondering if I should have done 6awg instead.

Interesting point on the 9in taking up less space than your existing unit. I have an A60 and the GO9 is probably twice the screen size but smaller physical dimension. Got to love technology evolution!
Make sure you replace your ground wire too.
Here’s a pic of the original Grady wiring connection in the stern where all the rear ground connections were spliced in (horribly).
That caused an entry point for corrosion which traveled about 5’ under its jacketing making the wire black and in the process caused there to be a 2 volt drop from the back to the front.
I made a bus bar out of stainless bar to bring all the ground connections together in the back.
This is what Grady did which is insane. You might have a mess like this too!
F652E976-8D78-4122-91D1-556F1D8630EB.jpeg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Make sure you replace your ground wire too.
Here’s a pic of the original Grady wiring connection in the stern where all the rear ground connections were spliced in (horribly).
That caused an entry point for corrosion which traveled about 5’ under its jacketing making the wire black and in the process caused there to be a 2 volt drop from the back to the front.
I made a bus bar out of stainless bar to bring all the ground connections together in the back.
This is what Grady did which is insane. You might have a mess like this too!
View attachment 17346

That’s insane!

I got about 25ft of red and black 8awg to run from the stern to the fuse panel. Also, replacing the busbar by the helm.

I wanted to replace all of the ground cables on the busbar but decided to first figure out what exactly they are for and go from there.

I would like to run new cable to the hardtop but not sure I have enough to do all of it. Definitely not if I run it the roundabout way the factory did

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m surprised that fits in the box.
mine will go where the old Faruno sits. It’ll be a little more squared off so my daughter can watch the screen.
View attachment 17343It’l
It’ll also be nice to lose that external gps antenna
View attachment 17344

That was a big deciding factor for me to go with Simrad. I wanted the Siriusxm weather antenna and the Point-1 GPS antenna to remain active along with the Totalscan ducer. It all plugged right in and worked great.

20180910_193212.jpg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For you guys that have noticed the cover is hard to remove, there is a trick. I've had a GO9 for awhile and I was worried I was going to break the cover at times.....try this....
If you are right handed like me, use your left hand and push firmly on the center of the left edge of the cover like you are trying to slide it to the right. You will feel it move an eighth of an inch or so. While holding considerable force to the right, use your right hand and lift up the right edge.... Voila.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For you guys that have noticed the cover is hard to remove, there is a trick. I've had a GO9 for awhile and I was worried I was going to break the cover at times.....try this....
If you are right handed like me, use your left hand and push firmly on the center of the left edge of the cover like you are trying to slide it to the right. You will feel it move an eighth of an inch or so. While holding considerable force to the right, use your right hand and lift up the right edge.... Voila.

My Lowrance covers on my Carbon's fit very similar so I was familiar with the removal technique. Kinda flex the cover a little on one edge and lift.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just got my 12 talking to my WiFi here at home and did an update that was needed. I've got it set to automatically hook up to my WiFi anytime I power it up here at home.

20201121_152028.jpg

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just got my 12 talking to my WiFi here at home and did an update that was needed. I've got it set to automatically hook up to my WiFi anytime I power it up here at home.

View attachment 17360
I was reading about that. Thinking I’ll have to use my phone as a WiFi as the house WiFi doesn’t reach back to the carport. Funny how a brand new product needs updating. I also read the C-map and Navionics+ cards need to be updated too.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I was reading about that. Thinking I’ll have to use my phone as a WiFi as the house WiFi doesn’t reach back to the carport. Funny how a brand new product needs updating. I also read the C-map and Navionics+ cards need to be updated too.

LT,,,, in regards to the updates, my unit had October 11th 2019 factory software in it, even though I purchased it new from WM almost a year later. I'm sure some changes and updates were made to the software in that year span, hence the need for updating. These units are like computers, pretty much outdated the day you purchase since technology is always changing and advancing.

20201122_150823.jpg

Lsquared

Reaction score
Thegpsstore.com has the elite ti2 for 499 that is who I use for electronics